Why is there a file size difference depending on where you download EditPlus?

  • elasticdog
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 5, 2004
      I've been researching text editors for the past week and trying out
      about 7 or 8 of them in order to find the one that best suits my
      needs. I ended up choosing EditPlus, and absolutely love it!

      I wonder if anybody knows why the file downloaded from the link in the
      email when you register is 1.04MB and the version off the link on the
      website is only 893KB. I realize it's labeled as a trial version (and
      it's the same one linked to for the "EditPlus Upgrade"), but isn't it
      just the same thing before you actually enter in your registration
      information? Just wondered if there is actually a difference, and
      what that difference is.

      Curiosity just got the best of me, that's all, but I thought someone
      here might know...thanks in advance.

      Aaron Schaefer
      http://elasticdog.com/
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 6, 2004
        Some time around 09/06/2004 00:30:40, I think I heard elasticdog say:
        > I wonder if anybody knows why the file downloaded from the link in the
        > email when you register is 1.04MB and the version off the link on the
        > website is only 893KB. I realize it's labeled as a trial version (and
        > it's the same one linked to for the "EditPlus Upgrade"), but isn't it
        > just the same thing before you actually enter in your registration
        > information? Just wondered if there is actually a difference, and
        > what that difference is.

        Hello:
        Are they exactly the same version build?

        -dZ.

        --
        :[ DZ vs. THE WORLD]==- -- - -

        Hating anything, everything and everyone since 1996.
        --
      • Justin Watt
        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 6, 2004
          I'm guessing it's because the spellchecker does not come packaged with the
          free version...

          --justin

          On Mon, 6 Sep 2004, elasticdog wrote:

          > I've been researching text editors for the past week and trying out
          > about 7 or 8 of them in order to find the one that best suits my
          > needs. I ended up choosing EditPlus, and absolutely love it!
          >
          > I wonder if anybody knows why the file downloaded from the link in the
          > email when you register is 1.04MB and the version off the link on the
          > website is only 893KB. I realize it's labeled as a trial version (and
          > it's the same one linked to for the "EditPlus Upgrade"), but isn't it
          > just the same thing before you actually enter in your registration
          > information? Just wondered if there is actually a difference, and
          > what that difference is.
          >
          > Curiosity just got the best of me, that's all, but I thought someone
          > here might know...thanks in advance.

        • Michael L. Jones
          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 6, 2004
            I believe the difference is that the larger version contains both
            English and Korean language files. The smaller version is English
            only.

            --- In editplus@yahoogroups.com, "elasticdog" <elasticdog@y...>
            wrote:
            > I've been researching text editors for the past week and trying out
            > about 7 or 8 of them in order to find the one that best suits my
            > needs. I ended up choosing EditPlus, and absolutely love it!
            >
            > I wonder if anybody knows why the file downloaded from the link in
            the
            > email when you register is 1.04MB and the version off the link on
            the
            > website is only 893KB. I realize it's labeled as a trial version
            (and
            > it's the same one linked to for the "EditPlus Upgrade"), but isn't
            it
            > just the same thing before you actually enter in your registration
            > information? Just wondered if there is actually a difference, and
            > what that difference is.
            >
            > Curiosity just got the best of me, that's all, but I thought
            someone
            > here might know...thanks in advance.

            > Aaron Schaefer
            > http://elasticdog.com/
          • Michael L. Jones
            Message 5 of 7 , Sep 6, 2004
              Also, the timestamp on editplus.exe inside the registration link
              version is old. I didn't try looking at the version, but you should
              be using v2.12 (106), available from the regular download link.

              --- In editplus@yahoogroups.com, "Michael L. Jones"
              <mljones1947@y...> wrote:
              > I believe the difference is that the larger version contains both
              > English and Korean language files. The smaller version is English
              > only.
              >
              > --- In editplus@yahoogroups.com, "elasticdog" <elasticdog@y...>
              > wrote:
              > > I've been researching text editors for the past week and trying
              out
              > > about 7 or 8 of them in order to find the one that best suits my
              > > needs. I ended up choosing EditPlus, and absolutely love it!
              > >
              > > I wonder if anybody knows why the file downloaded from the link
              in
              > the
              > > email when you register is 1.04MB and the version off the link
              on
              > the
              > > website is only 893KB. I realize it's labeled as a trial
              version
              > (and
              > > it's the same one linked to for the "EditPlus Upgrade"), but
              isn't
              > it
              > > just the same thing before you actually enter in your
              registration
              > > information? Just wondered if there is actually a difference,
              and
              > > what that difference is.
              > >
              > > Curiosity just got the best of me, that's all, but I thought
              > someone
              > > here might know...thanks in advance.

              > > Aaron Schaefer
              > > http://elasticdog.com/
            • elasticdog
              Message 6 of 7 , Sep 6, 2004
                So basically, if I'm only using English, I should use the link
                directly from the site and ignore the version sent out with the
                registration email? As far as I could tell, you still had to apply
                the patch on both of them to bring them up to build 106, and I just
                assumed you had to add the English dictionary on them both too, but
                didn't really check that...thanks for all the responses.

                Aaron Schaefer
                http://elasticdog.com/

                wrote:
                > Also, the timestamp on editplus.exe inside the registration link
                > version is old. I didn't try looking at the version, but you should
                > be using v2.12 (106), available from the regular download link.

                > --- In editplus@yahoogroups.com, "Michael L. Jones"
                > <mljones1947@y...> wrote:
                > I believe the difference is that the larger version contains both
                > English and Korean language files. The smaller version is English
                > only.
              • Michael L. Jones
                Message 7 of 7 , Sep 7, 2004
                  Yes, get the version from the main download page, plus the version
                  of the the spell checker (US or UK) that you want. I THINK that the
                  main download version is already patched. Check Help|About before
                  patching.