Re: [edit+] Re: editplus under WINE?

  • Ryan Aviles
    Message 1 of 12 , Aug 13, 2004
      > Just out of interest, how simple is it to convert an application such
      as Editplus over to Linux?
      pretty darn easy if we had the source ;)

      when i get some time, i'm gonna look at mono/gtk#, in particular its
      rich-edit controls.
      although i really hate reinventing the wheel so i might just as well
      work on adding some editplus-like features to gvim instead, in
      particular an ftp browser and tabbed windows (which is really all thats
      lacking in gvim imho).

      i couldn't get ep to run even halfway decently on wine/gentoo.
      i'm gonna try SUSE soon and see if ep in wine runs any better (which i
      highly doubt since i built from source anyways)

      ryan

      vertedism wrote:

      > --- In editplus@yahoogroups.com, "tony92875" <tony92875@y...> wrote:
      > > --- In editplus@yahoogroups.com, Ryan Aviles <ravile3@u...> wrote:
      > > > has anyone tried editplus uner WINE on a linux system?
      > > > how well does it work (compared to running it on windows)?
      > > > also, has anyone tried version 2.12?
      > > >
      > > > http://winehq.org/
      > > >
      > > > -- ryan
      > >
      > > I use it on a daily basis. editplus 2.12 under transgaming WineX and
      > > now version 4.0 which they've renamed "cedega". I have a hic-up every
      > > now and then but for the most part it runs great. It looks as it
      > > should, I don't have any issues with fonts. The *only* issue I could
      > > complain about is the fact that if you try to run custom tools that
      > > access the file system -- such as a compiler or linker -- it will
      > > crash. But that's WineX not edit plus to blame for that.
      > >
      > > I'm still holding out hope for a linux native version :) I would pay
      > > for the program again to get that.
      > >
      > > Regards,
      > > -Tony
      >
      > It's funny you should say that. Today I sent an email to Edit Plus
      > asking if they would consider creating a native version for Linux. I
      > too am from an Editplus background, and in my opinion there is no
      > editor out there as good as Editplus.
      >
      > I would be well prepared to pay for Editplus, and I know many other
      > people too. I have posted on many forums asking if there was any linux
      > apps as good, and I got many replies saying that unfortuantely there
      > was not, and that they too miss it.
      >
      > Just out of interest, how simple is it to convert an application such
      > as Editplus over to Linux?

      > *Yahoo! Groups Sponsor*
      > click here
      > <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129r9rj5l/M=298184.5285298.6392945.3001176/D=groups/S=1705351788:HM/EXP=1092498426/A=2164330/R=0/SIG=11eamf8g4/*http://www.netflix.com/Default?mqso=60183350>

    • vertedism
      Message 2 of 12 , Aug 14, 2004
        Really? My Editplus runs fine under Wine / Gentoo (I just installed it
        yesterday). Only thing I might say is that it has problems dealing
        with large files. If I open a file containing a very large amount of
        code, then sometimes it'll miss some of the lines off. Also, when
        trying to save with the ftp, sometimes on larger files it gets stuck
        at 100%(As far as I know, the file is uploaded alright, but the window
        displaying the transfer progress gets stuck. This isnt too bad,
        because you can just click cancel).

        What desktop manager are you using? I am using GNOME.

        Message 3 of 12 , Aug 14, 2004
          >sometimes on larger files it gets stuck at 100%
          i had the same problem, only sometimes the file was only partially uploaded.
          also, the ctrl button would go "dead" after i switched child windows for
          the first time.
          using the latest gnome.

          be back in a week after vacation =P

          ryan