Back tab

  • ross10s
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 1, 2002
      When I <enter> at the end of a line, I get automatic indention equal
      to the preceding line, but when I back tab from there, I go to the
      beginning of the line. Is there any way to go back only as far as
      the tab would have been had I tabbed to the automatic indentation
      point?
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 2, 2002
        Some time around 01/02/2002, I think I heard you say:
        >When I <enter> at the end of a line, I get automatic indention equal
        >to the preceding line, but when I back tab from there, I go to the
        >beginning of the line. Is there any way to go back only as far as
        >the tab would have been had I tabbed to the automatic indentation
        >point?

        I see what you mean, but I don't think its possible when the indentation is
        made by the "auto-indent" function. You see, that indentation is not
        "real"... I mean, if you hit <enter> at that point (after the auto-indent,
        before typing anything) and then go back to that line, you'll notice that
        there is no space or indentation there! This is because EditPlus seems to
        just "move" the cursor in auto-indent mode, as opposed to adding tabs or
        spaces. When you type a character (a space, or anything else) it then adds
        the physical tabs or spaces.

        So, in order to get the behavior that you want, you'll need to type in a
        space (to insert the physical tabs), then delete it (to go back to the
        indent point), and you'll shift-tab key will move by the size of the tab
        like you want. But why would you go through all that trouble? :)

        dZ.

        >+ + + + + + + + + + + +
        >http://www.editplus.com/
        >EditPlus text editor, HTML editor, programmers editor for Windows
        >+ + + + + + + + + + + +
        >
        >Post message: editplus@yahoogroups.com
        >Subscribe: editplus-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
      • ross10s
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 2, 2002
          >So, in order to get the behavior that you want, you'll need to type
          >in a space (to insert the physical tabs), then delete it (to go back
          >to the indent point), and you'll shift-tab key will move by the size
          >of the tab like you want. But why would you go through all that
          >trouble? :)
          > dZ.

          Thanks. That does the trick. I want to go through that trouble to
          show the hierarchy when I'm coding in Rexx.
          Ross