New member and a question

  • jtwg
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 2, 2004
      Hi all, just joined up as I'm having some trouble with E+.
      I've been using E+ for over a year now and it's been great.
      However, about two months ago, a problem cropped up. Whenever I
      save a file from my computer to the server over my network it takes
      anywhere from 30 to 90 seconds for it to save. In the meantime E+
      seemingly locks up and if you click the screen the title bar says
      (Not Responding) and it just sits there. Once it is saved the '*'
      stays at the end of the file name and it's still red in the bottom
      bar.
      Both machines are WinXP Pro the server is running with Apache for
      Win. The thing is, nothing on either system has changed.

      Any ideas or has anyone else had this problem?
      Thanks,
      Jeff
    • Ryan Aviles
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 2, 2004
        interesting. not sure what all your specifics are but firewall and write
        permissions on the server seem to pop into mind.

        ryan

        jtwg wrote:

        > Hi all, just joined up as I'm having some trouble with E+.
        > I've been using E+ for over a year now and it's been great.
        > However, about two months ago, a problem cropped up. Whenever I
        > save a file from my computer to the server over my network it takes
        > anywhere from 30 to 90 seconds for it to save. In the meantime E+
        > seemingly locks up and if you click the screen the title bar says
        > (Not Responding) and it just sits there. Once it is saved the '*'
        > stays at the end of the file name and it's still red in the bottom
        > bar.
        > Both machines are WinXP Pro the server is running with Apache for
        > Win. The thing is, nothing on either system has changed.
        >
        > Any ideas or has anyone else had this problem?
        > Thanks,
        > Jeff

        > *Yahoo! Groups Sponsor*
        > <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129gs49o6/M=295196.4901138.6071305.3001176/D=groups/S=1705351788:HM/EXP=1088899910/A=2128215/R=0/SIG=10se96mf6/*http://companion.yahoo.com>

      • Michael L. Jones
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 3, 2004
          I agree with Ryan that it sounds like an environment problem, not a
          problem with EditPlus, but who knows?

          Do you administer your network? Are you sure that nothing has
          changed? Do you use Windows Update regularly? Some security patches
          have introduced performance problems.

          Are there similar problems with other programs, particularly ones
          that create backup files?

          Are there delays when you open a network share in Windows Explorer?
          There are well-known issues with Windows XP being slow with network
          file access in certain situations. I recently switched from Windows
          2000 to Windows XP. I had similar problems periodically with 2000,
          which are now worse, and have been trying to find a fix that won't
          break something else <g>. Here are some things that I'm going to try
          when I get back to the office:

          http://www.ss64.com/nt/slow_browsing.html
          http://www.mcmaster.ca/cis/ctl/slwebclient.htm

          --- In editplus@yahoogroups.com, "jtwg" <jtwg@y...> wrote:
          > Hi all, just joined up as I'm having some trouble with E+.
          > I've been using E+ for over a year now and it's been great.
          > However, about two months ago, a problem cropped up. Whenever I
          > save a file from my computer to the server over my network it
          takes
          > anywhere from 30 to 90 seconds for it to save. In the meantime E+
          > seemingly locks up and if you click the screen the title bar says
          > (Not Responding) and it just sits there. Once it is saved the '*'
          > stays at the end of the file name and it's still red in the bottom
          > bar.
          > Both machines are WinXP Pro the server is running with Apache for
          > Win. The thing is, nothing on either system has changed.
          >
          > Any ideas or has anyone else had this problem?
          > Thanks,
          > Jeff
        • jtwg
          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 3, 2004
            Thanks for the replies.
            I do administer the network. It's at my house. I haven't
            experienced any of the delay's in your link to www.ss64.net nor are
            there delays anywhere else. In fact, if I use MS FrontPage to edit
            the files they save super fast. The reason I'm thinking it's E+ is
            that if I use 'Save As' and rename the file file1.php, file2.php,
            etc they save super fast as well.
            The only firewall internally would be the XP firewall. I'm using
            Version 2.11 of EditPlus and connect internally over the network.
            I'll check the rest of your links and I'm thinking I'll install E+
            on another machine and try it out.

            All machines are XP Pro
            100Mb IBM Hub
            Linksys router