Code Validating Add-on ?

  • moonman
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 23, 2004
      Hi everyone,

      I just installed the lastest version of HTML-kit and noticed that it
      has HTML/XHTML/CSS/etc code validators included. Now I'm an editplus
      user and would hate to change, how can I add these plugins?

      Also I work with high ed, they only allow SFTP which editplus does
      not support. Any ideas when this option will be added?

      I'm currently using the tunnel solution. This requires me to logon
      with MindTerm, an extra step when you only have minor edits.

      "Might take a look at MindTerm. It's an FTP to SFTP bridge.

      The setup part of the posting didn't work for me (but then again we
      all have stupid moments). "Type 'localhost' into EditPlus as the FTP
      server IP address. I was then able to edit files on the remote."

      Carlos
    • Richard Grevers
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 23, 2004
        On Wed, 23 Jun 2004 15:54:23 -0000, moonman <moondog401@...> gave
        utterance to the following:

        > Hi everyone,
        >
        > I just installed the lastest version of HTML-kit and noticed that it
        > has HTML/XHTML/CSS/etc code validators included. Now I'm an editplus
        > user and would hate to change, how can I add these plugins?

        Make Opera your preview browser and use its Ctrl+alt+V validator
        submission?
        (Opera needs to add a css submitter too)
        Alternatively you could get ARV and define it as a tool in editplus. It's
        the only offline validator I'd really trust, since it is written by Liam
        Quinn, an author of the W3C validator.
        For CSS, I tend to use topstyle.
        --
        Richard Grevers
        Between two evils always pick the one you haven't tried
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 29, 2004
          Hey,

          I use cURL to send the active document to validator.w3.org via a user
          tool. cURL then outputs a local html file with the w3c response.

          So basically, to validate the current document all I have to do is go:
          Tools - W3C Validate HTML or Tools - W3C Validate CSS, then to view
          the output from the validator: Tools - W3C View Output

          You can download cURL for win32 from here:
          http://curl.haxx.se/latest.cgi?curl=win32-ssl

          Unzip it anywhere you like, the path I use in the user tool settings
          is: your_editplus_dir/extensions/curl/ ... so if you put it somewhere
          else, you'll need to update that path below.

          Once you have cURL available, you need to create 3 user tools. To
          create a user tool, go to Tools - Configure User tools... then on the
          top right of the box that opens, select Add Tool - Program.

          Note: Change the following paths in the user tool settings below, to
          reflect your setup:

          - extensions\curl\curl.exe (set this to the path where you have copied
          curl.exe, it is relative to the editplus install directory)

          - c:\program files\editplus
          2\extensions\curl\output\w3c_validator.html (this is the path and
          filename of the file cURL will create with the response from
          validator.w3.org, it can be anything you like)

          - C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.EXE (point this to your
          preferred browser)

          Here are the settings for the User Tools:

          User Tool 1 - Validate HTML

          Menu text: W3C Validate HTML
          Command: extensions\curl\curl.exe
          Aurgument: -F "uploaded_file=@$(FilePath);type=text/html" -o
          "c:\program files\editplus
          2\extensions\curl\output\w3c_validator.html" http:
          //validator.w3.org/check

          Tick 'Close window on exit', untick all other options

          User Tool 2 - Validate CSS

          Menu text: W3C Validate CSS
          Command: extensions\curl\curl.exe
          Aurgument: -F "file=@$(FilePath);type=text/css" -o "c:\program
          files\editplus 2\extensions\curl\output\w3c_validator.html"
          http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/validator

          Tick 'Close window on exit', untick all other options

          User Tool 3 - View Validator Output

          Menu text: W3C View output
          Command: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.EXE
          Aurgument: c:\program files\editplus
          2\extensions\curl\output\w3c_validator.html

          Untick all options

          Hope that helps :)

          Ian

          --- In editplus@yahoogroups.com, "Richard Grevers" <lists@d...> wrote:
          > On Wed, 23 Jun 2004 15:54:23 -0000, moonman <moondog401@y...> gave
          > utterance to the following:
          >
          > > Hi everyone,
          > >
          > > I just installed the lastest version of HTML-kit and noticed that
          it
          > > has HTML/XHTML/CSS/etc code validators included. Now I'm an
          editplus
          > > user and would hate to change, how can I add these plugins?
          > >
          > Make Opera your preview browser and use its Ctrl+alt+V validator
          > submission?
          > (Opera needs to add a css submitter too)
          > Alternatively you could get ARV and define it as a tool in editplus.
          It's
          > the only offline validator I'd really trust, since it is written by
          Liam
          > Quinn, an author of the W3C validator.
          > For CSS, I tend to use topstyle.
          > --
          > Richard Grevers
          > Between two evils always pick the one you haven't tried
        • J
          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 30, 2004
            Following the recent suggestions about HTML validation from
            EditPlus, I do this in two ways.

            First, if you have cygwin you can use tidy.
            command: bash
            argument: -l -c "td '$(FilePath)'"
            You can also get a windows version of tidy if you hunt
            about, and I suppose that it would be similarly easy to set
            up as a user tool.

            However, tidy isn't a full validator, so my second
            suggestion is to get the WDG validation widget from
            http://www.htmlhelp.com/tools/widgets/
            This gives you a validation option on the right-click menu
            in IE, so you can use the seamless browser and validate
            from there.