Re: [edit+] Re: new forum for editplus

  • Kelvin Wu
    Message 1 of 39 , Jun 3, 2004
      i think if you guys have chance to get a gmail account and use it to
      subscribe editplus mailing list, you will love this mailing list - in
      gmail each message you send/receive is grouped with all the responses.
      grouping related messages creates meaningful 'threads'(just like a
      forum thread). when you open a message in a thread, all of your
      messages will be stacked neatly on top of each other, like a deck of
      cards. as new replies arrive, your stack of cards grows. grouping
      messages this way allows you to quickly retrieve related messages and
      view all your messages in context.

      --
      Kelvin Wu <kelvin.wu@...>
    • Sorin BRABETE
      Message 39 of 39 , Jun 6, 2004
        Reply below:

        Mike wrote:

        > Then I still have a couple of questions:
        > - Some of the features are removed from this trial version. What will be
        > stripped in the future (what is the future from this 'trial' product)?
        I am not aware of any features stripped from the trial version. As far
        as I know, the official Invisio Power Board states that the trial
        version is fully functional. It just does not support some advanced
        technologies provided by Invision (Java Chat and Converge- atechnology
        that enables a single common login for various invision application)

        > - It is unclear how fast security fixes are included in a new trial
        > version. The owners of this package have no any interest in including
        > that security fix for this trial version.
        The source is basically the same, so security fixes can be applied and
        are available on a general basis (not only for members, as in
        vBulletin's case)

        > - Why is this version called a trial version and not free version? The
        > argument of Sorin is that there is an addition trial description
        > included in the trailer. You could also do this with the free version. I
        > don't mind about the copyright statement, but removing that statement
        > cost 270$
        The $270 fee is required if you want to completely remove the
        *copyright* statement (ie. for a corporate forum) such that the forum
        does not contain *any* reference to Invision. If you pay the $69 or $199
        license you will remove the trial mention and add a "registered to:
        xxxx" mention.

        > Then about paying for this package, you know the prices very good from
        > this package. Why should I pay for a product, twhere a similar product
        > is for free on the web with nearly the same feautures like phpBB (that
        > is indead the nearest package that is equal from functionality)?
        >
        > Asking my self these question, then I prefere an other package.
        > Especially the 'trial' term I don't like. Trial means trial for a
        > limited period, not mentioned for a life-time use. This sounds dodgy to
        > me and not a good solution for the future when I still want to make
        > upgrades to the follwing trial version. Should I pay then for it, no I
        > just download a real free package with an active community behind it.
        At least for the moment, Invision claims that this "trial" version will
        be fully functional for an unlimited time. We'll see... I'm buying a
        license, maybe two, mostly because the 2.0.0 version is soon to be
        released and is really cool ..

        I'll stop here, before I'm accused of advertising for IPB :)

        > Mike
        >

        > Sorin BRABETE wrote:
        >

        >> It's not free anymore, but the trial version is fully functional and
        >>can be used for free for any period of time as long as the small text at
        >>the bottom is not removed (it says trial in parantheses after the usual
        >>copyright notice)
        >>
        >> The only difference between the trial version and the registered one is
        >>that the latter includes technical support. Anyway, the pricing is not
        >>that high, $69 for a one-year license, and $199 for a lifetime (!)
        >>license (which is a great price for such a high-quality forum software
        >>which I myself prefer strongly over vBulletin)

        >>>As pointed out by one of the members, I must correct my statement; Invision
        >>>Board is no longer free... last time I used it it still was...
        >>>

        >>>- Mark
        >>>

        >>>http://www.editplus.com
        >>>Yahoo! Groups Links

        Best Regards,