Organizing files

  • Miles Prower
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 18, 2004
      Hi, I'm nere here. I wanted to know if it's possible that later
      releases of Edit Plus will be more configurable with paths. The whole
      installed directory is a mess of stx, acp, ctl, and templates. I
      wanted to move all the STX files into their own folder but the
      html.stx (because it's internally used) could not be moved to a
      different directory. I've been adding tons of user files such as XSL
      syntax and various Doctype ctl files. It's all been adding up.

      Also, when making a new file type, the list of existing types is made
      in the order you create the types. That means if I make a section for
      ASM and then XSL, then they appear at the bottom in the preferences
      and the open file prompt. Some UP and DOWN buttons would be great so I
      could put web page format (HTML, CSS, Javascript, XML, XSL, PHP, ASP,
      etc) grouped together and have compiled languages (C++, ASM, Z80, etc)
      on the bottom.

      Does anyone have some ideas or advice to share, recommend, or add to this?
    • M. van Renswoude
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 19, 2004
        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 19, 2004
          Well, I've movedd all configurable files to a "user"
          folder within the install folder. Except for the files
          you mentioned. I use Tools > INI file directory...

          Problem is, every time I change computers (which is
          quite often!), I might have a different folder
          structure, resulting in lot of search and replace in
          the ini-files.

          This works good enough for me but of course it would
          be nice with relative search paths and _all_
          configurable files should be moveable.

          Good luck
          /J

          --- Miles Prower <tailsthekitsune@...> skrev: >
          Hi, I'm nere here. I wanted to know if it's possible
          > that later
          > releases of Edit Plus will be more configurable with
          > paths. The whole
          > installed directory is a mess of stx, acp, ctl, and
          > templates. I
          > wanted to move all the STX files into their own
          > folder but the
          > html.stx (because it's internally used) could not be
          > moved to a
          > different directory. I've been adding tons of user
          > files such as XSL
          > syntax and various Doctype ctl files. It's all been
          > adding up.
          >
          > Also, when making a new file type, the list of
          > existing types is made
          > in the order you create the types. That means if I
          > make a section for
          > ASM and then XSL, then they appear at the bottom in
          > the preferences
          > and the open file prompt. Some UP and DOWN buttons
          > would be great so I
          > could put web page format (HTML, CSS, Javascript,
          > XML, XSL, PHP, ASP,
          > etc) grouped together and have compiled languages
          > (C++, ASM, Z80, etc)
          > on the bottom.
          >
          > Does anyone have some ideas or advice to share,
          > recommend, or add to this?

          Höstrusk och grå moln - köp en resa till solen på Yahoo! Resor på adressen http://se.docs.yahoo.com/travel/index.html
        • JHegener
          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 19, 2004
            --- In editplus@yahoogroups.com, "Miles Prower"
            <tailsthekitsune@y...> wrote:
            > Hi, I'm nere here. I wanted to know if it's possible that later
            > releases of Edit Plus will be more configurable with paths. The
            whole
            > installed directory is a mess of stx, acp, ctl, and templates.

            Each to his own... I kind of like the fact that everything is in the
            main folder. Makes it easy to find.

            I just sort by 'type' and all the similiar files are grouped together.

            I've used editors where you can customize the location of all sorts
            of files and inevitably it turns out to be more trouble than it's
            worth (for me, anyway).