Re: Spell checker doesn't work

  • Michael L. Jones
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 28, 2003
      userdic.usd is not in the spell checker package. It is the name of
      the file that holds the words that you add to the dictionary. The
      file is either created automatically by EditPlus when you add the
      first word to the dictionary or when you first install EditPlus. I'm
      not sure which. However, EditPlus will defintely create the file
      when you add a word to the dictionary if the file is missing. I just
      tested that.

      I would suggest copying all of the files in your EditPlus folder
      some place, then uninstall and reinstall EditPlus, plus the spell
      checker. See if things work then. You can overlay any individualized
      files from the copy.

      I've installed EditPlus and the spell checker dozens of times
      without a problem. I'm not sure what is happening.

      --- In editplus@yahoogroups.com, "wesw96" <WesWhitaker@h...> wrote:
      > I downloaded the US spell checker, twice, saving and installing
      the
      > first time, and opening from the website the second time, but the
      > program won't work.
      > I get the message that it has installed correctly, but when I try
      > use it, I receive a warning message that a dictionary has not been
      > selected, and I am asked to check the US or EN dictionary box, and
      > use the file C:\Program Files\EditPlus 2\userdic.usd.
      > Well, no such file exists. I checked, and five other files are
      > installed by the dic-us-setup installer, but no userdic.usd. I
      > checked my entire harddrive, and there is no file anywhere named
      > userdic, or with the usd extension.
      > I have emailed the editplus support about this several times, but
      > all I ever get is a "funny look" from one Sangil Kim, and the
      > suggestion to install the program again. I have installed it a
      dozen
      > times, and as is common with computer programs, I get the same
      > result each time.
      >
      > These are the five files installed:
      > ssceam.tlx
      > correct.tlx
      > html.tlx
      > ssce5232.dll
      > ssceam2.clx
      >
      > I would certainly appreciate any help anyone can give.
      >
      > Wes
    • wesw96
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 28, 2004
        I guess I have a different idea of what their program is supposed to
        be. I "thought" that they would have a dictionary contained in the
        download, or at least in the main editplus download. I mean, how in
        the hell can you check something if nothing exists to compare it to?

        When you said "The file is either created automatically by EditPlus
        when you add the first word to the dictionary...", it seems that we
        have to make our own dictionary, and manually enter in all the words
        in that dictionary. What you describe as their spellchecker program
        seems like nothing more than the password lists that Explorer
        compiles as we subsrcibe to groups like this one.

        --- In editplus@yahoogroups.com, "Michael L. Jones"

        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 29, 2004
          A little clarification is in order.

          There are two standard dictionaries, one US English and one UK
          English, at http://www.editplus.com/download.html. Both are full of
          correectly spelled words. Download one of them, install it into the
          EditPlus directory, and make sure that the settings in
          Tools|Preferences|Tools|Spell checker are correct.

          (I assume that the reason a dictionary isn't included in the main
          download is that some people will want one version and others will
          want the other. The dictionary download links are just below the main
          download link, so there're kind of hard to miss.)

          The file userdic.usd is for words that you ADD to the dictionary when
          you click the "Add" button on the spell checking dialog box. You're
          not really "adding" it to the dictionary that you downloaded, but
          EditPlus searches both the standard dictionary and your custom one
          when it looks for words.

          Does that help?