Suggestion: window list filtering

  • M. van Renswoude
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 1, 2003
      Hope Sangil reads these newsgroups, but either way it allows a bit more discussion on this suggestion, so I'll post it anyways...

      I'm using EditPlus on a daily basis, and working with a large amount of files (big PHP project). At any time I have a full window-bar at the bottom, which is btw set to 2 rows. That's about 40 windows, but I've had moments where more than 65 were open and I needed all of 'em at some time (so closing wasn't really an option). This makes it quite hard to navigate between all the windows...

      My suggestion: add an extra input field to the Window List where you can enter a filename. Upon entering, the Window List would be updated for change, and should filter only by filename (ignoring the directory). A simple example, let's say my Window List looks like this:

      C:\file1.php
      C:\anotherfile.php
      C:\third.php
      D:\file1.php

      ...now I would type "f", the list becomes:

      C:\file1.php
      D:\file1.php

      As you can see, that would help a lot! Even more than a lot, it would save me a lot of time and trouble daily! That is, if you imagine this list to be 10x as long ;). Of course, the input box would get focus when opening the window list, be empty at first (even if you've typed something before, I think that's the best way to work with it) and pressing the up/down key would keep the focus on the input box but step through the filtered list...

      If anyone's using Delphi, the "Show Form / Unit" list does exactly this...

      Fairly simple to implement as well, so I really hope this'll be a feature some day :)

      Regards,

      Mark van Renswoude