Re: [edit+] Is there a future for EditPlus???

  • jeremywinder
    Message 1 of 17 , Jul 1 9:39 AM
      What about code folding? I find this most useful. The function list
      could be modified to have it sortable. horizontal splitting could be
      tweaked. for that matter, it would nice to be able to completely
      open the same file in two independant windows. the bracket fining
      could be expanded to include tags. Custom graphics on the user-
      toolbar... There are always things to improve...

      --- In editplus@yahoogroups.com, "Matt Roberts" <matt@d...> wrote:
      > I'm not sure there is that much more that can be done with
      editplus? I mean
      > I've used it exclusively as my main text editor and code writer for
      a couple
      > of years now and I've not found it lacking. In fact I keep find
      new tricks
      > even now - like the regex search/replace using bracketed
      expressions as
      > variables in the replace. Most useful!
      >
      > The only thing I'd like to see is its default HTML page layout be
      conformant
      > XHTML, but this is a pretty minor thing.
      >
      > Of course if someone out there is suggesting some feature it
      actually
      > needs? I've heard somepeople like the feature in some editors now
      for them
      > to be translucent, or unicode support, but thats not something I
      personally
      > am bothered about. For me its syntax highlighting, project
      groupings and
      > good search/replace thats the most important.

    • cmujakyl
      Message 2 of 17 , Jul 1 11:15 AM
        I'm not sure what you mean by "code folding" but I would love to have
        the ability to expand or collapse blocks of code. Like matching tags
        in HTML (<TABLE></TABLE> would be nice) or matching braces in any
        programming language ( '{' and '}' ). This would seriously save me
        lots and lots of time, and I would be forever grateful.

        --- In editplus@yahoogroups.com, "jeremywinder" <jeremywinder@y...>
        wrote:
        > What about code folding? I find this most useful. The function
        list
        > could be modified to have it sortable. horizontal splitting could
        be
        > tweaked. for that matter, it would nice to be able to completely
        > open the same file in two independant windows. the bracket fining
        > could be expanded to include tags. Custom graphics on the user-
        > toolbar... There are always things to improve...
        >
        > --- In editplus@yahoogroups.com, "Matt Roberts" <matt@d...> wrote:
        > > I'm not sure there is that much more that can be done with
        > editplus? I mean
        > > I've used it exclusively as my main text editor and code writer
        for
        > a couple
        > > of years now and I've not found it lacking. In fact I keep find
        > new tricks
        > > even now - like the regex search/replace using bracketed
        > expressions as
        > > variables in the replace. Most useful!
        > >
        > > The only thing I'd like to see is its default HTML page layout be
        > conformant
        > > XHTML, but this is a pretty minor thing.
        > >
        > > Of course if someone out there is suggesting some feature it
        > actually
        > > needs? I've heard somepeople like the feature in some editors
        now
        > for them
        > > to be translucent, or unicode support, but thats not something I
        > personally
        > > am bothered about. For me its syntax highlighting, project
        > groupings and
        > > good search/replace thats the most important.

      • boduje
        Message 3 of 17 , Jul 3 11:13 AM
          Hey Matt,

          When I started coding for XMHTML, I was somewhat dismayed that the
          keyboard shortcuts and HTML toolbar did not support it. However, I
          found that if you edit the "htmlbar.acp" file in the EditPlus
          directory, you can have your XHTML coding at your fingertips. Be sure
          to not delete any of "#T" specifications; just change them to what you
          need.

          Regards,

          Bobby

          --- In editplus@yahoogroups.com, "Matt Roberts" <matt@d...> wrote:

          > *chuckles* Its not quite that simple... there's the whole html
          toolbar and

          > inserts thing too! Not to mention the whole 'wouldn't it be nice if
          it it

          > was in the main installer so that every time I have to reinstall my
          machine

          > I don't have to pull in multiple backups to bring it up to spec!' ;)

          > But my real point was that this honestly is a small gripe, not
          really

          > warranting any major redevelopment!

          > Oh and to any who don't know... XHTML is basically normal html but
          all the

          > tags must be closed and be lower case (eg, <P> would be <p>text</p>
          or just

          > href="next.html">Next</a>).

          > There are other things (of course) but that covers the major bits
          for people

          > looking to make things conform during the transitional period. And
          yeah,

          > editplus don't do so bad really.

          > Just saying, like... ;)

          > > Hello Matt Roberts!

          > > > The only thing I'd like to see is its default HTML page layout
          be

          > conformant

          > > > XHTML, but this is a pretty minor thing.

          > > Edit the file "template.html" in your EditPlus program folder as
          you

          > > like it!

          > > --

          > > Regards,

          > > -cw-

        • D.Z.
          Message 4 of 17 , Jul 5 2:15 PM
            there are checkbox in document->permanent settings->general: html tags in lower case

            03.07.03 21:13:39, "boduje" <boduje@...> kirjutas:

            >When I started coding for XMHTML, I was somewhat dismayed that the
            >keyboard shortcuts and HTML toolbar did not support it. However, I
            >found that if you edit the "htmlbar.acp" file in the EditPlus
            >directory, you can have your XHTML coding at your fingertips. Be sure
            >to not delete any of "#T" specifications; just change them to what you
            >need.
          • buddyackerman_us
            Message 5 of 17 , Aug 6, 2003
              I'd like to see a more complete implementation of the regular
              expression search engine. Most notably the non-greedy ? operator.
              It'd be nice to have the use of the shortcuts \w, \s, \d, etc. too.

              --Buddy

              --- In editplus@yahoogroups.com, "litoff_frenchbox" <litoff@f...>

              Message 6 of 17 , Aug 6, 2003
                Some time around 6/6/2003 16:55:43, I think I heard litoff_frenchbox say:
                > I wondered if the developpement of EditPlus is stopped, because there are not much update!
                > What about the future of EditPlus??? It's a really good software, but it can be improved.

                Hello,
                I'm subscribed to the beta program and a new build was
                released just last friday, with regular updates for the past few
                months. Current beta version is v2.11 SR-2 beta build 2083.

                -dZ.

                --
                :[ DZ vs. THE WORLD]==- -- - -

                Hating anything, everything and everyone since 1996.
                --
              • Dean Householder
                Message 7 of 17 , Aug 6, 2003
                  I can confirm the same. Sangil Kim is the author of EditPlus and I know
                  that updates are made weekly, although they are mostly bugfixes to problems
                  found on the beta stages. I don't know what Sangil's priorities are but
                  development does seem slow. In my opinion it's still the best editor out
                  there by far! Don't get me wrong, I've got my wish list as well but it's
                  good to know that development is happening so we just have to be patient.

                  Dean

                  > Some time around 6/6/2003 16:55:43, I think I heard litoff_frenchbox say:
                  > > I wondered if the developpement of EditPlus is stopped, because there
                  are not much update!
                  > > What about the future of EditPlus??? It's a really good software, but it
                  can be improved.

                  > Hello,
                  > I'm subscribed to the beta program and a new build was
                  > released just last friday, with regular updates for the past few
                  > months. Current beta version is v2.11 SR-2 beta build 2083.
                  >
                  > -dZ.
                  >
                  > --
                  > :[ DZ vs. THE WORLD]==- -- - -
                  >
                  > Hating anything, everything and everyone since 1996.

                • John Fishworld
                  Message 8 of 17 , Aug 6, 2003
                    nice to here it !
                    its been a while !

                    > Some time around 6/6/2003 16:55:43, I think I heard litoff_frenchbox say:
                    > > I wondered if the developpement of EditPlus is stopped, because there
                    are not much update!
                    > > What about the future of EditPlus??? It's a really good software, but it
                    can be improved.

                    > Hello,
                    > I'm subscribed to the beta program and a new build was
                    > released just last friday, with regular updates for the past few
                    > months. Current beta version is v2.11 SR-2 beta build 2083.
                    >
                    > -dZ.
                    >
                    > --
                    > :[ DZ vs. THE WORLD]==- -- - -
                    >
                    > Hating anything, everything and everyone since 1996.

                  • Richard Grevers
                    Message 9 of 17 , Aug 6, 2003
                      On Wed, 6 Aug 2003 18:20:17 -0400, DZ-Jay <dz@...> gave utterance to
                      the following:

                      > Some time around 6/6/2003 16:55:43, I think I heard litoff_frenchbox say:
                      >> I wondered if the developpement of EditPlus is stopped, because there
                      >> are not much update!
                      >> What about the future of EditPlus??? It's a really good software, but it
                      >> can be improved.
                      >
                      > Hello,
                      > I'm subscribed to the beta program and a new build was
                      > released just last friday, with regular updates for the past few
                      > months. Current beta version is v2.11 SR-2 beta build 2083.

                      And how does one subscribe to the beta programme? I can't see any mention
                      of it on the website.

                      P.S. to john Morse - that language looked like Norwegian, but could be
                      Swedish or Danish.

                      --
                      Richard Grevers
                      Bureaucrats cut red tape - lengthwise
                      Message 10 of 17 , Aug 6, 2003
                        Some time around 8/6/2003 18:58:30, I think I heard Richard Grevers say:
                        > And how does one subscribe to the beta programme? I can't see any mention
                        > of it on the website.

                        Hello,
                        I think you send an email to sangil kim about it. You also
                        need to be a registered user.

                        -dZ.

                        --
                        :[ DZ vs. THE WORLD]==- -- - -

                        Hating anything, everything and everyone since 1996.
                        --
                      • Carlo Mendoza
                        Message 11 of 17 , Aug 6, 2003
                          Now that you've mentioned beta development, can I betatest?