Is there a future for EditPlus???

  • litoff_frenchbox
    Message 1 of 17 , Jun 6, 2003
      I wondered if the developpement of EditPlus is stopped, because there are not much update!
      What about the future of EditPlus??? It's a really good software, but it can be improved.

      LitOff
      French translator of EditPlus.
      http://www.frenchbox.tk/
    • Christian Weiss
      Message 2 of 17 , Jun 6, 2003
        Hello Matt Roberts!

        > The only thing I'd like to see is its default HTML page layout be conformant
        > XHTML, but this is a pretty minor thing.

        Edit the file "template.html" in your EditPlus program folder as you
        like it!

        --
        Regards,
        -cw-

        Christian Weiss . Konzeption . Programmierung . Schulung
        A-1230 Wien/Vienna . T +43-1-8862479 . F +43-1-8871109
        http://das.verstehst.net ......................verstanden?
      • John Morse
        Message 3 of 17 , Jun 6, 2003
          Hello, Matt Roberts,

          You can edit the htmlbar.acp file (from your editplus directory) so that the HTML Bar will insert what you want it too.
          You can also create your own "cliptext" that you can have insert whatever you like.
          Your clips can even wrap around the selected text by inserting this ^! into your clip to
          represent where your selected text will be.

          >*chuckles* Its not quite that simple... there's the whole html toolbar and
          >inserts thing too! Not to mention the whole 'wouldn't it be nice if it it
          >was in the main installer so that every time I have to reinstall my machine
          >I don't have to pull in multiple backups to bring it up to spec!' ;)

          = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

          Best regards.
          John Morse
          pagemaker@...
          2003-06-06
        • Matt Roberts
          Message 4 of 17 , Jun 6, 2003
            I'm not sure there is that much more that can be done with editplus? I mean
            I've used it exclusively as my main text editor and code writer for a couple
            of years now and I've not found it lacking. In fact I keep find new tricks
            even now - like the regex search/replace using bracketed expressions as
            variables in the replace. Most useful!

            The only thing I'd like to see is its default HTML page layout be conformant
            XHTML, but this is a pretty minor thing.

            Of course if someone out there is suggesting some feature it actually
            needs? I've heard somepeople like the feature in some editors now for them
            to be translucent, or unicode support, but thats not something I personally
            am bothered about. For me its syntax highlighting, project groupings and
            good search/replace thats the most important.

            > I wondered if the developpement of EditPlus is stopped, because
            > there are not much update! What about the future of EditPlus??? It's
            > a really good software, but it can be improved.
            >
            > LitOff
            > French translator of EditPlus.
            > http://www.frenchbox.tk/

            > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
            ------- End of Original Message -------
          • Matt Roberts
            Message 5 of 17 , Jun 6, 2003
              *chuckles* Its not quite that simple... there's the whole html toolbar and
              inserts thing too! Not to mention the whole 'wouldn't it be nice if it it
              was in the main installer so that every time I have to reinstall my machine
              I don't have to pull in multiple backups to bring it up to spec!' ;)

              But my real point was that this honestly is a small gripe, not really
              warranting any major redevelopment!

              Oh and to any who don't know... XHTML is basically normal html but all the
              tags must be closed and be lower case (eg, <P> would be <p>text</p> or just
              href="next.html">Next</a>).

              There are other things (of course) but that covers the major bits for people
              looking to make things conform during the transitional period. And yeah,
              editplus don't do so bad really.

              Just saying, like... ;)

              > Hello Matt Roberts!
              >
              > > The only thing I'd like to see is its default HTML page layout be
              conformant
              > > XHTML, but this is a pretty minor thing.
              >
              > Edit the file "template.html" in your EditPlus program folder as you
              > like it!
              >
              > --
              > Regards,
              > -cw-

            • Greg Jorgensen
              Message 6 of 17 , Jun 18, 2003
                I'd like to see a diff feature: compare the text in two windows. This
                should be fairly easy because of several open source diff programs
                that could be adapted.

                Greg Jorgensen
                gregj@...
              • jeremywinder
                Message 7 of 17 , Jul 1 9:39 AM
                  What about code folding? I find this most useful. The function list
                  could be modified to have it sortable. horizontal splitting could be
                  tweaked. for that matter, it would nice to be able to completely
                  open the same file in two independant windows. the bracket fining
                  could be expanded to include tags. Custom graphics on the user-
                  toolbar... There are always things to improve...

                  --- In editplus@yahoogroups.com, "Matt Roberts" <matt@d...> wrote:
                  > I'm not sure there is that much more that can be done with
                  editplus? I mean
                  > I've used it exclusively as my main text editor and code writer for
                  a couple
                  > of years now and I've not found it lacking. In fact I keep find
                  new tricks
                  > even now - like the regex search/replace using bracketed
                  expressions as
                  > variables in the replace. Most useful!
                  >
                  > The only thing I'd like to see is its default HTML page layout be
                  conformant
                  > XHTML, but this is a pretty minor thing.
                  >
                  > Of course if someone out there is suggesting some feature it
                  actually
                  > needs? I've heard somepeople like the feature in some editors now
                  for them
                  > to be translucent, or unicode support, but thats not something I
                  personally
                  > am bothered about. For me its syntax highlighting, project
                  groupings and
                  > good search/replace thats the most important.

                • cmujakyl
                  Message 8 of 17 , Jul 1 11:15 AM
                    I'm not sure what you mean by "code folding" but I would love to have
                    the ability to expand or collapse blocks of code. Like matching tags
                    in HTML (<TABLE></TABLE> would be nice) or matching braces in any
                    programming language ( '{' and '}' ). This would seriously save me
                    lots and lots of time, and I would be forever grateful.

                    --- In editplus@yahoogroups.com, "jeremywinder" <jeremywinder@y...>
                    wrote:
                    > What about code folding? I find this most useful. The function
                    list
                    > could be modified to have it sortable. horizontal splitting could
                    be
                    > tweaked. for that matter, it would nice to be able to completely
                    > open the same file in two independant windows. the bracket fining
                    > could be expanded to include tags. Custom graphics on the user-
                    > toolbar... There are always things to improve...
                    >
                    > --- In editplus@yahoogroups.com, "Matt Roberts" <matt@d...> wrote:
                    > > I'm not sure there is that much more that can be done with
                    > editplus? I mean
                    > > I've used it exclusively as my main text editor and code writer
                    for
                    > a couple
                    > > of years now and I've not found it lacking. In fact I keep find
                    > new tricks
                    > > even now - like the regex search/replace using bracketed
                    > expressions as
                    > > variables in the replace. Most useful!
                    > >
                    > > The only thing I'd like to see is its default HTML page layout be
                    > conformant
                    > > XHTML, but this is a pretty minor thing.
                    > >
                    > > Of course if someone out there is suggesting some feature it
                    > actually
                    > > needs? I've heard somepeople like the feature in some editors
                    now
                    > for them
                    > > to be translucent, or unicode support, but thats not something I
                    > personally
                    > > am bothered about. For me its syntax highlighting, project
                    > groupings and
                    > > good search/replace thats the most important.

                  • boduje
                    Message 9 of 17 , Jul 3 11:13 AM
                      Hey Matt,

                      When I started coding for XMHTML, I was somewhat dismayed that the
                      keyboard shortcuts and HTML toolbar did not support it. However, I
                      found that if you edit the "htmlbar.acp" file in the EditPlus
                      directory, you can have your XHTML coding at your fingertips. Be sure
                      to not delete any of "#T" specifications; just change them to what you
                      need.

                      Regards,

                      Bobby

                      --- In editplus@yahoogroups.com, "Matt Roberts" <matt@d...> wrote:

                      > *chuckles* Its not quite that simple... there's the whole html
                      toolbar and

                      > inserts thing too! Not to mention the whole 'wouldn't it be nice if
                      it it

                      > was in the main installer so that every time I have to reinstall my
                      machine

                      > I don't have to pull in multiple backups to bring it up to spec!' ;)

                      > But my real point was that this honestly is a small gripe, not
                      really

                      > warranting any major redevelopment!

                      > Oh and to any who don't know... XHTML is basically normal html but
                      all the

                      > tags must be closed and be lower case (eg, <P> would be <p>text</p>
                      or just

                      > href="next.html">Next</a>).

                      > There are other things (of course) but that covers the major bits
                      for people

                      > looking to make things conform during the transitional period. And
                      yeah,

                      > editplus don't do so bad really.

                      > Just saying, like... ;)

                      > > Hello Matt Roberts!

                      > > > The only thing I'd like to see is its default HTML page layout
                      be

                      > conformant

                      > > > XHTML, but this is a pretty minor thing.

                      > > Edit the file "template.html" in your EditPlus program folder as
                      you

                      > > like it!

                      > > --

                      > > Regards,

                      > > -cw-

                    • D.Z.
                      Message 10 of 17 , Jul 5 2:15 PM
                        there are checkbox in document->permanent settings->general: html tags in lower case

                        03.07.03 21:13:39, "boduje" <boduje@...> kirjutas:

                        >When I started coding for XMHTML, I was somewhat dismayed that the
                        >keyboard shortcuts and HTML toolbar did not support it. However, I
                        >found that if you edit the "htmlbar.acp" file in the EditPlus
                        >directory, you can have your XHTML coding at your fingertips. Be sure
                        >to not delete any of "#T" specifications; just change them to what you
                        >need.
                      • buddyackerman_us
                        Message 11 of 17 , Aug 6, 2003
                          I'd like to see a more complete implementation of the regular
                          expression search engine. Most notably the non-greedy ? operator.
                          It'd be nice to have the use of the shortcuts \w, \s, \d, etc. too.

                          --Buddy

                          --- In editplus@yahoogroups.com, "litoff_frenchbox" <litoff@f...>

                          Message 12 of 17 , Aug 6, 2003
                            Some time around 6/6/2003 16:55:43, I think I heard litoff_frenchbox say:
                            > I wondered if the developpement of EditPlus is stopped, because there are not much update!
                            > What about the future of EditPlus??? It's a really good software, but it can be improved.

                            Hello,
                            I'm subscribed to the beta program and a new build was
                            released just last friday, with regular updates for the past few
                            months. Current beta version is v2.11 SR-2 beta build 2083.

                            -dZ.

                            --
                            :[ DZ vs. THE WORLD]==- -- - -

                            Hating anything, everything and everyone since 1996.
                            --
                          • Dean Householder
                            Message 13 of 17 , Aug 6, 2003
                              I can confirm the same. Sangil Kim is the author of EditPlus and I know
                              that updates are made weekly, although they are mostly bugfixes to problems
                              found on the beta stages. I don't know what Sangil's priorities are but
                              development does seem slow. In my opinion it's still the best editor out
                              there by far! Don't get me wrong, I've got my wish list as well but it's
                              good to know that development is happening so we just have to be patient.

                              Dean

                              > Some time around 6/6/2003 16:55:43, I think I heard litoff_frenchbox say:
                              > > I wondered if the developpement of EditPlus is stopped, because there
                              are not much update!
                              > > What about the future of EditPlus??? It's a really good software, but it
                              can be improved.

                              > Hello,
                              > I'm subscribed to the beta program and a new build was
                              > released just last friday, with regular updates for the past few
                              > months. Current beta version is v2.11 SR-2 beta build 2083.
                              >
                              > -dZ.
                              >
                              > --
                              > :[ DZ vs. THE WORLD]==- -- - -
                              >
                              > Hating anything, everything and everyone since 1996.

                            • John Fishworld
                              Message 14 of 17 , Aug 6, 2003
                                nice to here it !
                                its been a while !

                                > Some time around 6/6/2003 16:55:43, I think I heard litoff_frenchbox say:
                                > > I wondered if the developpement of EditPlus is stopped, because there
                                are not much update!
                                > > What about the future of EditPlus??? It's a really good software, but it
                                can be improved.

                                > Hello,
                                > I'm subscribed to the beta program and a new build was
                                > released just last friday, with regular updates for the past few
                                > months. Current beta version is v2.11 SR-2 beta build 2083.
                                >
                                > -dZ.
                                >
                                > --
                                > :[ DZ vs. THE WORLD]==- -- - -
                                >
                                > Hating anything, everything and everyone since 1996.

                              • Richard Grevers
                                Message 15 of 17 , Aug 6, 2003
                                  On Wed, 6 Aug 2003 18:20:17 -0400, DZ-Jay <dz@...> gave utterance to
                                  the following:

                                  > Some time around 6/6/2003 16:55:43, I think I heard litoff_frenchbox say:
                                  >> I wondered if the developpement of EditPlus is stopped, because there
                                  >> are not much update!
                                  >> What about the future of EditPlus??? It's a really good software, but it
                                  >> can be improved.
                                  >
                                  > Hello,
                                  > I'm subscribed to the beta program and a new build was
                                  > released just last friday, with regular updates for the past few
                                  > months. Current beta version is v2.11 SR-2 beta build 2083.

                                  And how does one subscribe to the beta programme? I can't see any mention
                                  of it on the website.

                                  P.S. to john Morse - that language looked like Norwegian, but could be
                                  Swedish or Danish.

                                  --
                                  Richard Grevers
                                  Bureaucrats cut red tape - lengthwise
                                  Message 16 of 17 , Aug 6, 2003
                                    Some time around 8/6/2003 18:58:30, I think I heard Richard Grevers say:
                                    > And how does one subscribe to the beta programme? I can't see any mention
                                    > of it on the website.

                                    Hello,
                                    I think you send an email to sangil kim about it. You also
                                    need to be a registered user.

                                    -dZ.

                                    --
                                    :[ DZ vs. THE WORLD]==- -- - -

                                    Hating anything, everything and everyone since 1996.
                                    --
                                  • Carlo Mendoza
                                    Message 17 of 17 , Aug 6, 2003
                                      Now that you've mentioned beta development, can I betatest?