Tabs

  • kmcoleoz
    Message 1 of 10 , May 11 9:48 PM
      Is there some way for Editplus to add tabs to a HTMl file that is all
      left aligned.

      Just a hope!

      Ken
    • Richard Grevers
      Message 2 of 10 , May 11 10:48 PM
        On Mon, 12 May 2003 04:48:15 -0000, kmcoleoz <ken.cole@smiths-
        aerospace.com.au> gave utterance to the following:

        > Is there some way for Editplus to add tabs to a HTMl file that is all
        > left aligned.
        >
        > Just a hope!

        No, but this is not a limitation of editplus, rather one of HTML.
        In HTML, all whitespace (multiple spaces, tab characters and carriage
        returns) are collapsed to a single space, the sole exception being the
        preformatted text (<pre></pre> element, which has the (probably unwanted by
        you) additional characteristic of switching to a monospace font.
        HTML never had any elements specifically designed to indent (although a few
        elements have been misused and abused to that end over the years, the
        problem being is that intenting is a possible rendering for them not an
        assured one).
        The solution you are seeking is in the css properties text-indent (indents
        the first line of a block inwards or outwards) and margin (indents an
        entire block)

        --
        Richard Grevers
        I don't have time to wait for instant gratification
        Message 3 of 10 , May 12 2:11 AM
          Good day,

          I thought that Editplus has/had a compare utility between files. Has it
          been removed or so?

          regards,

          Mike
        • Christian Weiss
          Message 4 of 10 , May 12 7:07 AM
            Hello kmcoleoz!

            > Is there some way for Editplus to add tabs to a HTMl file that is all
            > left aligned.

            If you mean intending all code in order to signal nesting levels of
            your HTML elements, you could include the freely available program
            "Tidy" (initially developped by W3C) as a user tool, which can
            automatically transform your documents as wanted...

            If you need more information about this, I can post it here!

            --
            Regards from Austria,
            -cw-

            Christian Weiss . Konzeption . Programmierung . Schulung
            A-1230 Wien/Vienna . T +43-1-8862479 . F +43-1-8871109
            http://das.verstehst.net ......................verstanden?
          • King, Justin
            Message 5 of 10 , May 12 8:03 AM
              I would be interested in this, but since there doesn't seam to be a great response, it may be best done off list.

              J.

              > Is there some way for Editplus to add tabs to a HTMl file that is all
              > left aligned.

              If you mean intending all code in order to signal nesting levels of
              your HTML elements, you could include the freely available program
              "Tidy" (initially developped by W3C) as a user tool, which can
              automatically transform your documents as wanted...

              If you need more information about this, I can post it here!

              --
              Regards from Austria,
              -cw-

              Christian Weiss . Konzeption . Programmierung . Schulung
              A-1230 Wien/Vienna . T +43-1-8862479 . F +43-1-8871109
              http://das.verstehst.net ......................verstanden?

              http://www.editplus.com

            • Robert Zumwalt
              Message 6 of 10 , May 12 9:03 AM
                Please do... I would be interested in how to get tidy to work in Edit Plus as
                well!

                Thanks

                Robert Zumwalt
                --- Christian Weiss <abos@...> wrote:
                > Hello kmcoleoz!
                >
                > > Is there some way for Editplus to add tabs to a HTMl file that is all
                > > left aligned.
                >
                > If you mean intending all code in order to signal nesting levels of
                > your HTML elements, you could include the freely available program
                > "Tidy" (initially developped by W3C) as a user tool, which can
                > automatically transform your documents as wanted...
                >
                > If you need more information about this, I can post it here!
                >

                > --
                > Regards from Austria,
                > -cw-

                > Christian Weiss . Konzeption . Programmierung . Schulung
                > A-1230 Wien/Vienna . T +43-1-8862479 . F +43-1-8871109
                > http://das.verstehst.net ......................verstanden?

                http://search.yahoo.com
              • John Morse
                Message 7 of 10 , May 12 12:37 PM
                  Hello Mike, you wrote:
                  MW> I thought that Editplus has/had a compare utility between files. Has it
                  MW> been removed or so?

                  I don't think Edit+ has ever had this function.
                  You can add a simple compare program to your EditPlus Directory,
                  and then create a "user tool" to run it.
                  I have a copy of "ExamDif" that I keep in my Editplus directory for
                  this. It is a free version. Let me know if you need it.

                  --
                  John Morse
                  pagemaker@...

                  [SpamPal] "Take Back Your Inbox, Filter Out Spam!"
                  http://www.spampal.org.uk
                • kmcoleoz
                  Message 8 of 10 , May 12 3:33 PM
                    Hi Christian,

                    I would be very interested along with the others so here may be a
                    good place to tell us about tidy.

                    Thanks

                    ken

                    --- In editplus@yahoogroups.com, Christian Weiss <abos@v...> wrote:
                    > Hello kmcoleoz!
                    >
                    > > Is there some way for Editplus to add tabs to a HTMl file that is
                    all
                    > > left aligned.
                    >
                    > If you mean intending all code in order to signal nesting levels of
                    > your HTML elements, you could include the freely available program
                    > "Tidy" (initially developped by W3C) as a user tool, which can
                    > automatically transform your documents as wanted...
                    >
                    > If you need more information about this, I can post it here!
                    >

                    > --
                    > Regards from Austria,
                    > -cw-

                    > Christian Weiss . Konzeption . Programmierung . Schulung
                    > A-1230 Wien/Vienna . T +43-1-8862479 . F +43-1-8871109
                    > http://das.verstehst.net ......................verstanden?
                  • J
                    Message 9 of 10 , May 16 2:08 AM
                      I'm going to avoid the discussion about tabs v. spaces, but the original poster was asking about vim. To set the tab width there, you can say...

                      :set tabstop=4

                      ...and you can make this permanent by putting in .vimrc in your home directory.
                      Message 10 of 10 , May 16 5:59 AM
                        And as mentioned before (in case it was lost in the other thread), you
                        can also go to the Syntax Highlight preferences in EditPlus and set
                        the width of a tab (in spaces) there. This can be done individually
                        for each syntax type.

                        You can also have EditPlus change leading tabs to spaces and vice-
                        versa by selecting such functions from the "Format" menu, which is
                        accessible either from the "Edit" menu, or from the right-click
                        context menu.

                        "...computer programming is an art, because it applies accumulated
                        knowledge to the world, because it requires skill and ingenuity, and
                        especially because it produces objects of beauty."

                        -- D. Knuth