RE: [edit+] characters in Unicode text file

  • Stevens, Timothy J. (LNG-ALB)
    Message 1 of 2 , May 1, 2003
      Have you tried reloading the document as Unicode? EditPlus often
      doesn't pick up the correct encoding when loading a file.

      You can do this under the "Reload As..." selection under the
      Document menu.

      Message 2 of 2 , May 1, 2003
        Indeed, I've tried the Reload as Unicode. That makes the file completely
        unreadable, replacing the standard text with a bunch of question marks and
        so forth. I've tried several of the 'custom converters', but I continue to
        get the <NULL> character at the beginning of each line.

        I'm new to this group, but I've been using EditPlus for several
        years. I do quite a bit of work with unicode text files that are
        generated by a software package. The issue I'm having is that the
        files have a NULL character at the beginning of each line. When I
        open these files in an editor like notepad, the NULL character is
        displayed as a space. However, within EditPlus, the chracter is
        displayed as a sqare box and it's presence prevents cut/paste
        operations across the entire line or groups of lines. I also cannot
        do a 'search/replace' to remove the offending characters.

        Has anyone here had a similar problem and come up with a resolution?

        Thanks in advance.
        Blaine

        http://www.editplus.com <http://www.editplus.com>

        <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/>