Re: Some questions

  • system_dot_out <s_george@republic-financ
    Message 1 of 13 , Feb 28, 2003
      1. The purpose of the ruler, as I use it, is to aid with the layout
      of web pages.

      2. As far as tools usage goes, where do I begin? I use it for java,
      c++, html and coldfusion. You can create a set of tools (e.g.
      compile, build, run, run with parameters, etc..) for just about
      anything with command line tools. More advanced users might write vb
      scripts that encapsulate com objects. Effectively making their own
      command line tools.

      By the way Ergo, when and where will this article be published? I'd
      enjoy reading it.

    • wruppert <wruppert@responseb2b.com>
      Message 2 of 13 , Feb 28, 2003
        Rulers are good for COBOL, a very old language that (in some
        versions) cares very much about columns 7, 8, 12 and 73.

        --- In editplus@yahoogroups.com, Ergo <ergo@t...> wrote:
        > Hello editplus,
        >
        > I am writing an article about EditPlus to be published in
        > magazine. And would like to get some answers.
        >
        > 1. What's the purpose of EditPlus ruler? I don't see any use
        > of it.
        >
        > 2. Could you give me some examples of User tools usage?
        >
        > --
        > WBR, Andrey Pyasetskiy aka Ergo ICQ 249932
        > Winamp np: silence
      • Ergo
        Message 3 of 13 , Mar 1 12:28 PM
          Hello system_dot_out,

          ssrfc> 1. The purpose of the ruler, as I use it, is
          ssrfc> to aid with the layout
          ssrfc> of web pages.

          But in EditPlus ruler is shown only in text view, not in a
          browser window.

          --
          WBR, Andrey Pyasetskiy aka Ergo ICQ 249932
          Winamp np: silence
          [Russian Total Commander Plugring Team]
          http://wincmd.ru - Все о Total Commander (бывший Windows Commander)
          http://fileforum.ru/viewforum.php?f=17 - Форум о Total Commander
        • John Morse
          Message 4 of 13 , Mar 1 2:19 PM
            Hello wruppert, you wrote:
            wwrc> Rulers are good for COBOL, a very old language

            Can COBOL still be useful for anything today?

            --
            Regards,
            John Morse

            "Everyone is someone else's wierdo"
          • Ergo
            Message 5 of 13 , Mar 2 1:36 AM
              Hello system_dot_out,

              Thanks to all who answered my questions.

              ssrfc> By the way Ergo, when and where will this
              ssrfc> article be published? I'd
              ssrfc> enjoy reading it.

              I don't think you can enjoy reading it, unless you can read
              Russian :)

              Message 6 of 13 , Mar 2 1:39 AM
                Hello Christian,

                CW> - and, of course, context-sensitive help-files for PHP, MS-Scripting
                CW> and MySQL
                Could you tell me about it a little bit more? Do chm-files
                understand command line parameters?

                --
              • mikewes@xs4all.nl
                Message 7 of 13 , Mar 2 7:50 AM
                  On 1 Mar 2003 at 14:19, John Morse wrote:

                  > Hello wruppert, you wrote:
                  > wwrc> Rulers are good for COBOL, a very old language
                  >
                  > Can COBOL still be useful for anything today?

                  I am sorry, but 80% of all financial systems are still running COBOL. It does
                  the job and you can do everything in it.

                  Mike

                  Message 8 of 13 , Mar 2 8:44 AM
                    I doubt if much new is being done in COBOL, but many large companies
                    still have old systems that were written in COBOL, especially on IBM
                    mainframes. I recently had a 6 month contract working on such a
                    system for a large insurance company.

                    --- In editplus@yahoogroups.com, John Morse <pagemaker@s...> wrote:
                    > Hello wruppert, you wrote:
                    > wwrc> Rulers are good for COBOL, a very old language
                    >
                    > Can COBOL still be useful for anything today?
                    >

                    > --
                    > Regards,
                    > John Morse
                    >
                    > "Everyone is someone else's wierdo"
                  • Kelvin Wu
                    Message 9 of 13 , Mar 3 12:32 AM
                      Regarding to the user tools, does anybody know which external program
                      can be used to do "search and replace in directory/subdirectories"
                      within EditPlus? I don't want to open tonz of files to do search and
                      replace, and also don't want to use an external software alone. I have
                      asked this feature to the author of EditPlus but never get reply:(