Some questions

  • Ergo
    Message 1 of 13 , Feb 27, 2003
      Hello editplus,

      I am writing an article about EditPlus to be published in
      magazine. And would like to get some answers.

      1. What's the purpose of EditPlus ruler? I don't see any use
      of it.

      2. Could you give me some examples of User tools usage?

      --
      WBR, Andrey Pyasetskiy aka Ergo ICQ 249932
      Winamp np: silence
      Message 2 of 13 , Feb 28, 2003
        I commonly configure tools for compiling with javac and ant for Java but of
        course you could use any other command line tool (for example Jalopy that
        formats my javacode). I dont use the ruler very much, not at all actually,
        so I removed it from my view for now.
        /Ec
        I am writing an article about EditPlus to be published in
        magazine. And would like to get some answers.

        1. What's the purpose of EditPlus ruler? I don't see any use
        of it.

        2. Could you give me some examples of User tools usage?

        --
        WBR, Andrey Pyasetskiy aka Ergo ICQ 249932
        Winamp np: silence

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

      • Kelvin Wu
        Message 3 of 13 , Feb 28, 2003
          Ruler may help you draw ASCII table I think...

          On Thu, 27 Feb 2003 15:02:41 +0200
          Ergo <ergo@...> wrote:
          > Hello editplus,
          >
          > I am writing an article about EditPlus to be published in
          > magazine. And would like to get some answers.
          >
          > 1. What's the purpose of EditPlus ruler? I don't see any use
          > of it.
          >
          > 2. Could you give me some examples of User tools usage?
          >
          > --
          > WBR, Andrey Pyasetskiy aka Ergo ICQ 249932
          > Winamp np: silence

          ---
          Kelvin Wu
          kelvin@...
          http://www.ultrathreads.com
        • system_dot_out <s_george@republic-financ
          Message 4 of 13 , Feb 28, 2003
            1. The purpose of the ruler, as I use it, is to aid with the layout
            of web pages.

            2. As far as tools usage goes, where do I begin? I use it for java,
            c++, html and coldfusion. You can create a set of tools (e.g.
            compile, build, run, run with parameters, etc..) for just about
            anything with command line tools. More advanced users might write vb
            scripts that encapsulate com objects. Effectively making their own
            command line tools.

            By the way Ergo, when and where will this article be published? I'd
            enjoy reading it.

            --- In editplus@yahoogroups.com, Ergo <ergo@t...> wrote:
            > Hello editplus,
            >
            > I am writing an article about EditPlus to be published in
            > magazine. And would like to get some answers.
            >
            > 1. What's the purpose of EditPlus ruler? I don't see any use
            > of it.
            >
            > 2. Could you give me some examples of User tools usage?
            >
            > --
            > WBR, Andrey Pyasetskiy aka Ergo ICQ 249932
            > Winamp np: silence
          • Christian Weiss
            Message 5 of 13 , Feb 28, 2003
              Hello Ergo and all,

              > 2. Could you give me some examples of User tools usage?

              What Tools do I have here?

              - "HTML validator" to find problems in the current HTML code
              - "PHP debug" to track down errors in my scripts
              - "grep" to filter lines containing a desired Regular Expressions
              - two macros to move the current line up or down, respectively
              - and, of course, context-sensitive help-files for PHP, MS-Scripting
              and MySQL
              - as well as several external tools such as color selector, file
              management, ...

              --
              Greetings from Vienna,
              -cw-

              Christian Weiss . Konzeption . Programmierung . Schulung
              A-1230 Wien/Vienna . T +43-1-8862479 . F +43-1-8871109
              http://das.verstehst.net ......................verstanden?
            • wruppert <wruppert@responseb2b.com>
              Message 6 of 13 , Feb 28, 2003
                Rulers are good for COBOL, a very old language that (in some
                versions) cares very much about columns 7, 8, 12 and 73.

                --- In editplus@yahoogroups.com, Ergo <ergo@t...> wrote:
                > Hello editplus,
                >
                > I am writing an article about EditPlus to be published in
                > magazine. And would like to get some answers.
                >
                > 1. What's the purpose of EditPlus ruler? I don't see any use
                > of it.
                >
                > 2. Could you give me some examples of User tools usage?
                >
                > --
                > WBR, Andrey Pyasetskiy aka Ergo ICQ 249932
                > Winamp np: silence
              • Ergo
                Message 7 of 13 , Mar 1, 2003
                  Hello system_dot_out,

                  ssrfc> 1. The purpose of the ruler, as I use it, is
                  ssrfc> to aid with the layout
                  ssrfc> of web pages.

                  But in EditPlus ruler is shown only in text view, not in a
                  browser window.

                  --
                  WBR, Andrey Pyasetskiy aka Ergo ICQ 249932
                  Winamp np: silence
                  [Russian Total Commander Plugring Team]
                  http://wincmd.ru - Все о Total Commander (бывший Windows Commander)
                  http://fileforum.ru/viewforum.php?f=17 - Форум о Total Commander
                • John Morse
                  Message 8 of 13 , Mar 1, 2003
                    Hello wruppert, you wrote:
                    wwrc> Rulers are good for COBOL, a very old language

                    Can COBOL still be useful for anything today?

                    --
                    Regards,
                    John Morse

                    "Everyone is someone else's wierdo"
                  • Ergo
                    Message 9 of 13 , Mar 2, 2003
                      Hello system_dot_out,

                      Thanks to all who answered my questions.

                      ssrfc> By the way Ergo, when and where will this
                      ssrfc> article be published? I'd
                      ssrfc> enjoy reading it.

                      I don't think you can enjoy reading it, unless you can read
                      Russian :)

                      Message 10 of 13 , Mar 2, 2003
                        Hello Christian,

                        CW> - and, of course, context-sensitive help-files for PHP, MS-Scripting
                        CW> and MySQL
                        Could you tell me about it a little bit more? Do chm-files
                        understand command line parameters?

                        --
                      • mikewes@xs4all.nl
                        Message 11 of 13 , Mar 2, 2003
                          On 1 Mar 2003 at 14:19, John Morse wrote:

                          > Hello wruppert, you wrote:
                          > wwrc> Rulers are good for COBOL, a very old language
                          >
                          > Can COBOL still be useful for anything today?

                          I am sorry, but 80% of all financial systems are still running COBOL. It does
                          the job and you can do everything in it.

                          Mike

                          Message 12 of 13 , Mar 2, 2003
                            I doubt if much new is being done in COBOL, but many large companies
                            still have old systems that were written in COBOL, especially on IBM
                            mainframes. I recently had a 6 month contract working on such a
                            system for a large insurance company.

                            Message 13 of 13 , Mar 3, 2003
                              Regarding to the user tools, does anybody know which external program
                              can be used to do "search and replace in directory/subdirectories"
                              within EditPlus? I don't want to open tonz of files to do search and
                              replace, and also don't want to use an external software alone. I have
                              asked this feature to the author of EditPlus but never get reply:(