Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.
 

Re: start with new doc

Expand Messages
  • hoohoocarbunkle <hoohoocarbunkle@yahoo.c
    ... heh. no. i understand it is a little difficult to explain, and i may not have done it well. i ll try again - situation 1: if editplus is closed, i DO
    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 11, 2003
      --- In editplus@yahoogroups.com, "Michael L. Jones <mljones1947@y...>"
      <mljones1947@y...> wrote:
      > If I understand you correctly, go Tools|Preferences|General and
      > uncheck Create New Document at Startup. Could it be that simple <g>?
      >

      heh. no.

      i understand it is a little difficult to explain, and i may not have
      done it well. i'll try again -

      situation 1: if editplus is closed, i DO want e+ to create a new
      document when i merely open a new instance of the program.

      situation 2: if editplus is closed and i open, say, a java file from
      windows explorer. i do NOT want a blank new document opened then.
      just the one document i specifically asked it to open.

      situation 3: if i execute editplus (and it creates a new doc), but i
      type nothing IN that new doc, and file->open "foo.txt". editplus
      should recognize that that new blank doc is just taking up space and
      should close it and just have foo.txt open.

      situation 4: if i execute editplus (and it creates a new doc), and
      then i type "foobar" into the new blank doc. then i file->open
      "fnoodle.java". both the new unnamed file and "fnoodle.java" should
      now be open.

      this gets to be a bit annoying if you open several specific docs from
      windows explorer that you need to edit, but it not only opens all
      those, but an additional window that you prolly don't need.

      Johan - that actually may work as a workaround for the time being.. i
      wasn't aware that was available as a commandline switch. thanks man.

      take it easy,

      -brian welch
    • ~John
      I have been using the Command line option for this as /Johan described in his post earlier... works like a charm! Here is what he wrote: My workaround: In the
      Message 2 of 10 , Feb 11, 2003
        I have been using the Command line option for this as /Johan described
        in his post earlier... works like a charm!
        Here is what he wrote:
        My workaround:
        In the properties for your shortcut to E+, add /n
        after ...\editplus.exe

        ex:
        C:\Program Files\EditPlus\editplus.exe /n

        - - - hoohoocarbunkle <hoohoocarbunkle@...> wrote - - -
        h> <mljones1947@y...> wrote:
        >> If I understand you correctly, go Tools|Preferences|General and
        >> uncheck Create New Document at Startup. Could it be that simple <g>?
        >>

        h> heh. no.

        h> i understand it is a little difficult to explain, and i may not have
        h> done it well. i'll try again -

        h> situation 1: if editplus is closed, i DO want e+ to create a new
        h> document when i merely open a new instance of the program.

        h> situation 2: if editplus is closed and i open, say, a java file from
        h> windows explorer. i do NOT want a blank new document opened then.
        h> just the one document i specifically asked it to open.

        h> situation 3: if i execute editplus (and it creates a new doc), but i
        h> type nothing IN that new doc, and file->open "foo.txt". editplus
        h> should recognize that that new blank doc is just taking up space and
        h> should close it and just have foo.txt open.

        h> situation 4: if i execute editplus (and it creates a new doc), and
        h> then i type "foobar" into the new blank doc. then i file->open
        h> "fnoodle.java". both the new unnamed file and "fnoodle.java" should
        h> now be open.

        h> this gets to be a bit annoying if you open several specific docs from
        h> windows explorer that you need to edit, but it not only opens all
        h> those, but an additional window that you prolly don't need.

        h> Johan - that actually may work as a workaround for the time being.. i
        h> wasn't aware that was available as a commandline switch. thanks man.

        h> take it easy,

        h> -brian welch




        - - - End of hoohoocarbunkle <hoohoocarbunkle@...>'s message - - -
      • Michael L. Jones <mljones1947@yahoo.com>
        I don t know exactly why my setup (latest version of EP on Windows 2000 Pro) behaves differently, but I do NOT get an empty document in situation 2, no matter
        Message 3 of 10 , Feb 12, 2003
          I don't know exactly why my setup (latest version of EP on Windows
          2000 Pro) behaves differently, but I do NOT get an empty document in
          situation 2, no matter what setting I have for the Create New
          Document setting.

          --- In editplus@yahoogroups.com, "hoohoocarbunkle
          <hoohoocarbunkle@y...>" <hoohoocarbunkle@y...> wrote:
          > --- In editplus@yahoogroups.com, "Michael L. Jones
          <mljones1947@y...>"
          > <mljones1947@y...> wrote:
          > > If I understand you correctly, go Tools|Preferences|General and
          > > uncheck Create New Document at Startup. Could it be that simple
          <g>?
          > >
          >
          > heh. no.
          >
          > i understand it is a little difficult to explain, and i may not have
          > done it well. i'll try again -
          >
          > situation 1: if editplus is closed, i DO want e+ to create a new
          > document when i merely open a new instance of the program.
          >
          > situation 2: if editplus is closed and i open, say, a java file from
          > windows explorer. i do NOT want a blank new document opened then.
          > just the one document i specifically asked it to open.
          >
          > situation 3: if i execute editplus (and it creates a new doc), but i
          > type nothing IN that new doc, and file->open "foo.txt". editplus
          > should recognize that that new blank doc is just taking up space and
          > should close it and just have foo.txt open.
          >
          > situation 4: if i execute editplus (and it creates a new doc), and
          > then i type "foobar" into the new blank doc. then i file->open
          > "fnoodle.java". both the new unnamed file and "fnoodle.java" should
          > now be open.
          >
          > this gets to be a bit annoying if you open several specific docs
          from
          > windows explorer that you need to edit, but it not only opens all
          > those, but an additional window that you prolly don't need.
          >
          > Johan - that actually may work as a workaround for the time being..
          i
          > wasn't aware that was available as a commandline switch. thanks
          man.
          >
          > take it easy,
          >
          > -brian welch
        • shuttermutt <shuttermutt@yahoo.com>
          Mine s the same way with XP. I tell you what I d like to see changed is the way that E+ opens another instance of a file if you double- click on the Output
          Message 4 of 10 , Feb 12, 2003
            Mine's the same way with XP. I tell you what I'd like to see changed
            is the way that E+ opens another instance of a file if you double-
            click on the Output Window.

            Hmmm... Boy, that didn't come out quite right. Let me try to explain
            that again.

            1. Create a new user tool that captures output (such as a compiler).
            2. Open a source file, run your tool (we'll assume it's a compiler)
            and let's assume you see something like this in the Output Window...

            ERROR ** Invalid cast on line 28 in file (filename.cpp)!

            3. Now double-click on the error line in the Output Window and E+
            will open the file and take you to line 28.

            That's GREAT! Except for the fact that I already HAD filename.cpp
            open and now I have two of them. If I fix the problem in the new
            instance then it starts getting ugly. I wish E+ would check to see
            if I already have the file open and simply take me to the
            appropriate line number if I do instead of opening a new file.

            Other Wish List items...

            1. A option for each user tool that would save all open documents
            before launching the tool. That way it's not a two-step operation
            when I've been editing multiple dependent source files and now I
            want to compile.

            2. An example of a user dictionary! I can't seem to find anything
            more than a sentence or two telling me that I can create one.

            3. User-configurable Intellisense-like capability. I'm not sure how
            to do it, really. Maybe a config file something like...

            MyLang.Icf
            -----------------------------
            #T=CopyFile
            void CopyFile(Source as STRING, Destination as STRING);

            So that when I typed the word "CopyFile", I'd see a little balloon
            help window pop-up below my cursor that displayed my user-defined
            string. Pretty much like the .NET IDE does.

            I don't know. It could get tough what with having more than one
            function on the same line and a host of other potential gotchas.
            Boy, it'd sure be nice to have though.

            4. A Project tab in the same group as Directory and Cliptext. Oh,
            and some way

            Geez... that's really all I can think of right now. E+ is thiiiiiis
            close to being absolutely perfect! Where else can you get this much
            software for $30? Kudos!

            -Greg

            --- In editplus@yahoogroups.com, "Michael L. Jones
            <mljones1947@y...>" <mljones1947@y...> wrote:
            > I don't know exactly why my setup (latest version of EP on Windows
            > 2000 Pro) behaves differently, but I do NOT get an empty document
            in
            > situation 2, no matter what setting I have for the Create New
            > Document setting.
            >
            > --- In editplus@yahoogroups.com, "hoohoocarbunkle
            > <hoohoocarbunkle@y...>" <hoohoocarbunkle@y...> wrote:
            > > --- In editplus@yahoogroups.com, "Michael L. Jones
            > <mljones1947@y...>"
            > > <mljones1947@y...> wrote:
            > > > If I understand you correctly, go Tools|Preferences|General
            and
            > > > uncheck Create New Document at Startup. Could it be that
            simple
            > <g>?
            > > >
            > >
            > > heh. no.
            > >
            > > i understand it is a little difficult to explain, and i may not
            have
            > > done it well. i'll try again -
            > >
            > > situation 1: if editplus is closed, i DO want e+ to create a new
            > > document when i merely open a new instance of the program.
            > >
            > > situation 2: if editplus is closed and i open, say, a java file
            from
            > > windows explorer. i do NOT want a blank new document opened
            then.
            > > just the one document i specifically asked it to open.
            > >
            > > situation 3: if i execute editplus (and it creates a new doc),
            but i
            > > type nothing IN that new doc, and file->open "foo.txt". editplus
            > > should recognize that that new blank doc is just taking up space
            and
            > > should close it and just have foo.txt open.
            > >
            > > situation 4: if i execute editplus (and it creates a new doc),
            and
            > > then i type "foobar" into the new blank doc. then i file->open
            > > "fnoodle.java". both the new unnamed file and "fnoodle.java"
            should
            > > now be open.
            > >
            > > this gets to be a bit annoying if you open several specific docs
            > from
            > > windows explorer that you need to edit, but it not only opens all
            > > those, but an additional window that you prolly don't need.
            > >
            > > Johan - that actually may work as a workaround for the time
            being..
            > i
            > > wasn't aware that was available as a commandline switch. thanks
            > man.
            > >
            > > take it easy,
            > >
            > > -brian welch
          • Michael L. Jones <mljones1947@yahoo.com>
            Oh, I m so lucky. I must have a magic copy of EP . When I double- click on the error message line in the output window, EP does NOT load a new copy of the
            Message 5 of 10 , Feb 13, 2003
              Oh, I'm so lucky. I must have a magic copy of EP <g>. When I double-
              click on the error message line in the output window, EP does NOT
              load a new copy of the source file. This is scarey. Note, however,
              that I'm using interpreted script files as the source, so that might
              explain the difference.

              A user tool option to save open files before running would be great,
              and it doesn't seem that it would take that much effort to implement.

              I don't think that there's anything special about user dictionaries.
              Mine is named userdic.usd (in the EP folder) and is plain ASCII with
              each entry on its own line:

              SourceSafe
              VBScript
              VSS

              I think that the file gets created the first time you click Add in
              the spell checking dialog box.

              --- In editplus@yahoogroups.com, "shuttermutt <shuttermutt@y...>"
              <shuttermutt@y...> wrote:
              > Mine's the same way with XP. I tell you what I'd like to see
              changed
              > is the way that E+ opens another instance of a file if you double-
              > click on the Output Window.
              >
              > Hmmm... Boy, that didn't come out quite right. Let me try to
              explain
              > that again.
              >
              > 1. Create a new user tool that captures output (such as a compiler).
              > 2. Open a source file, run your tool (we'll assume it's a compiler)
              > and let's assume you see something like this in the Output Window...
              >
              > ERROR ** Invalid cast on line 28 in file (filename.cpp)!
              >
              > 3. Now double-click on the error line in the Output Window and E+
              > will open the file and take you to line 28.
              >
              > That's GREAT! Except for the fact that I already HAD filename.cpp
              > open and now I have two of them. If I fix the problem in the new
              > instance then it starts getting ugly. I wish E+ would check to see
              > if I already have the file open and simply take me to the
              > appropriate line number if I do instead of opening a new file.
              >
              > Other Wish List items...
              >
              > 1. A option for each user tool that would save all open documents
              > before launching the tool. That way it's not a two-step operation
              > when I've been editing multiple dependent source files and now I
              > want to compile.
              >
              > 2. An example of a user dictionary! I can't seem to find anything
              > more than a sentence or two telling me that I can create one.
              >
              > 3. User-configurable Intellisense-like capability. I'm not sure how
              > to do it, really. Maybe a config file something like...
              >
              > MyLang.Icf
              > -----------------------------
              > #T=CopyFile
              > void CopyFile(Source as STRING, Destination as STRING);
              >
              > So that when I typed the word "CopyFile", I'd see a little balloon
              > help window pop-up below my cursor that displayed my user-defined
              > string. Pretty much like the .NET IDE does.
              >
              > I don't know. It could get tough what with having more than one
              > function on the same line and a host of other potential gotchas.
              > Boy, it'd sure be nice to have though.
              >
              > 4. A Project tab in the same group as Directory and Cliptext. Oh,
              > and some way
              >
              > Geez... that's really all I can think of right now. E+ is thiiiiiis
              > close to being absolutely perfect! Where else can you get this much
              > software for $30? Kudos!
              >
              > -Greg
              >
              > --- In editplus@yahoogroups.com, "Michael L. Jones
              > <mljones1947@y...>" <mljones1947@y...> wrote:
              > > I don't know exactly why my setup (latest version of EP on
              Windows
              > > 2000 Pro) behaves differently, but I do NOT get an empty document
              > in
              > > situation 2, no matter what setting I have for the Create New
              > > Document setting.
            • hoohoocarbunkle <hoohoocarbunkle@yahoo.c
              ... ah, i think that is because i was slightly misstating what i am doing. if i have the open with new doc checked, when i doubleclick on a source doc from
              Message 6 of 10 , Feb 26, 2003
                --- In editplus@yahoogroups.com, "Michael L. Jones <mljones1947@y...>"
                <mljones1947@y...> wrote:
                > I don't know exactly why my setup (latest version of EP on Windows
                > 2000 Pro) behaves differently, but I do NOT get an empty document in
                > situation 2, no matter what setting I have for the Create New
                > Document setting.

                ah, i think that is because i was slightly misstating what i am doing.

                if i have the "open with new doc" checked, when i doubleclick on a
                source doc from windows explorer, it JUST opens that document. which
                is correct, as far as i am concerned. (this is what i suspect you're
                doing, Michael)

                however, if i still have "open with new doc" checked, rightclick and
                choose "Editplus" from the context menu, it opens editplus, opens a
                new doc, THEN opens the document(s) that i have selected and
                rightclicked on.

                so. only way to really get around it is to use Johan's suggestion for
                new doc, and unclick the new doc option.

                thanks a bunch for the thoughts, guys..
              Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.