Re: [edit+] Re: start with new doc

  • Johan Hartin
    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 9, 2003
      I have the same problem. When you're starting E+ from
      a shortcut on your desktop or whichever way you like,
      you might want to have a fresh new document to work
      on, but when you double-click a textdocument in
      explorer or hit "view source" on a web page you
      obviously don't want a new document.

      My workaround:
      In the properties for your shortcut to E+, add /n
      after ...\editplus.exe

      ex:
      C:\Program Files\EditPlus\editplus.exe /n

      Hope this helps you!

      Regards
      /Johan

      --- ~John <pagemaker@...> skrev: > So are you
      wanting a "new Doc" on startup, or not?
      > Either one is possible with E+
      >
      > --
      >
      > Best Regards,
      > ~John
      >
      > - - - hoohoocarbunkle <hoohoocarbunkle@...>
      > wrote - - -
      >
      > > ok, this is driving me nuts.
      >
      > > i've been a textpad user for years while
      > programming. i picked up
      > > edit+ a few months ago because it seems that it is
      > more actively being
      > > developed and it has a few features that are nice.
      >
      > > one thing i can't get over is the
      > start-with-new-document feature. in
      > > my old editor, it did this as well. which is
      > great, something i need
      > > when i want to make a quick note about something.
      >
      > > however, tp would not make a new doc if you
      > launched it by
      > > doubleclicking a document from explorer. or if
      > you opened an existing
      > > file from within the editor when there was nothing
      > typed into the new
      > > temp doc. there is clearly no need for that new
      > doc to be open when
      > > you do these things and that new temp doc has
      > nothing typed in it.
      >
      > > sigh. it isn't a huge thing, just pretty
      > irritating. anybody got a
      > > way around this?
      >
      > > thanks much,
      >

      > - - - End of hoohoocarbunkle
      > <hoohoocarbunkle@...>'s message - - -

      Gratis e-mail resten av livet på www.yahoo.se/mail
      Busenkelt!
    • hoohoocarbunkle <hoohoocarbunkle@yahoo.c
      Message 2 of 10 , Feb 11, 2003
        --- In editplus@yahoogroups.com, "Michael L. Jones <mljones1947@y...>"
        <mljones1947@y...> wrote:
        > If I understand you correctly, go Tools|Preferences|General and
        > uncheck Create New Document at Startup. Could it be that simple <g>?

        heh. no.

        i understand it is a little difficult to explain, and i may not have
        done it well. i'll try again -

        situation 1: if editplus is closed, i DO want e+ to create a new
        document when i merely open a new instance of the program.

        situation 2: if editplus is closed and i open, say, a java file from
        windows explorer. i do NOT want a blank new document opened then.
        just the one document i specifically asked it to open.

        situation 3: if i execute editplus (and it creates a new doc), but i
        type nothing IN that new doc, and file->open "foo.txt". editplus
        should recognize that that new blank doc is just taking up space and
        should close it and just have foo.txt open.

        situation 4: if i execute editplus (and it creates a new doc), and
        then i type "foobar" into the new blank doc. then i file->open
        "fnoodle.java". both the new unnamed file and "fnoodle.java" should
        now be open.

        this gets to be a bit annoying if you open several specific docs from
        windows explorer that you need to edit, but it not only opens all
        those, but an additional window that you prolly don't need.

        Johan - that actually may work as a workaround for the time being.. i
        wasn't aware that was available as a commandline switch. thanks man.

        take it easy,

        -brian welch
      • ~John
        Message 3 of 10 , Feb 11, 2003
          I have been using the Command line option for this as /Johan described
          in his post earlier... works like a charm!

          h> <mljones1947@y...> wrote:
          >> If I understand you correctly, go Tools|Preferences|General and
          >> uncheck Create New Document at Startup. Could it be that simple <g>?

          h> heh. no.

          h> i understand it is a little difficult to explain, and i may not have
          h> done it well. i'll try again -

          h> situation 1: if editplus is closed, i DO want e+ to create a new
          h> document when i merely open a new instance of the program.

          h> situation 2: if editplus is closed and i open, say, a java file from
          h> windows explorer. i do NOT want a blank new document opened then.
          h> just the one document i specifically asked it to open.

          h> situation 3: if i execute editplus (and it creates a new doc), but i
          h> type nothing IN that new doc, and file->open "foo.txt". editplus
          h> should recognize that that new blank doc is just taking up space and
          h> should close it and just have foo.txt open.

          h> situation 4: if i execute editplus (and it creates a new doc), and
          h> then i type "foobar" into the new blank doc. then i file->open
          h> "fnoodle.java". both the new unnamed file and "fnoodle.java" should
          h> now be open.

          h> this gets to be a bit annoying if you open several specific docs from
          h> windows explorer that you need to edit, but it not only opens all
          h> those, but an additional window that you prolly don't need.

          h> Johan - that actually may work as a workaround for the time being.. i
          h> wasn't aware that was available as a commandline switch. thanks man.

          h> take it easy,

          h> -brian welch

          - - - End of hoohoocarbunkle <hoohoocarbunkle@...>'s message - - -
        • Michael L. Jones <mljones1947@yahoo.com>
          Message 4 of 10 , Feb 12, 2003
            I don't know exactly why my setup (latest version of EP on Windows
            2000 Pro) behaves differently, but I do NOT get an empty document in
            situation 2, no matter what setting I have for the Create New
            Document setting.

            --- In editplus@yahoogroups.com, "hoohoocarbunkle

          • shuttermutt <shuttermutt@yahoo.com>
            Message 5 of 10 , Feb 12, 2003
              Mine's the same way with XP. I tell you what I'd like to see changed
              is the way that E+ opens another instance of a file if you double-
              click on the Output Window.

              Hmmm... Boy, that didn't come out quite right. Let me try to explain
              that again.

              1. Create a new user tool that captures output (such as a compiler).
              2. Open a source file, run your tool (we'll assume it's a compiler)
              and let's assume you see something like this in the Output Window...

              ERROR ** Invalid cast on line 28 in file (filename.cpp)!

              3. Now double-click on the error line in the Output Window and E+
              will open the file and take you to line 28.

              That's GREAT! Except for the fact that I already HAD filename.cpp
              open and now I have two of them. If I fix the problem in the new
              instance then it starts getting ugly. I wish E+ would check to see
              if I already have the file open and simply take me to the
              appropriate line number if I do instead of opening a new file.

              Other Wish List items...

              1. A option for each user tool that would save all open documents
              before launching the tool. That way it's not a two-step operation
              when I've been editing multiple dependent source files and now I
              want to compile.

              2. An example of a user dictionary! I can't seem to find anything
              more than a sentence or two telling me that I can create one.

              3. User-configurable Intellisense-like capability. I'm not sure how
              to do it, really. Maybe a config file something like...

              MyLang.Icf
              -----------------------------
              #T=CopyFile
              void CopyFile(Source as STRING, Destination as STRING);

              So that when I typed the word "CopyFile", I'd see a little balloon
              help window pop-up below my cursor that displayed my user-defined
              string. Pretty much like the .NET IDE does.

              I don't know. It could get tough what with having more than one
              function on the same line and a host of other potential gotchas.
              Boy, it'd sure be nice to have though.

              4. A Project tab in the same group as Directory and Cliptext. Oh,
              and some way

              Geez... that's really all I can think of right now. E+ is thiiiiiis
              close to being absolutely perfect! Where else can you get this much
              software for $30? Kudos!

              -Greg

              Message 6 of 10 , Feb 13, 2003
                Oh, I'm so lucky. I must have a magic copy of EP <g>. When I double-
                click on the error message line in the output window, EP does NOT
                load a new copy of the source file. This is scarey. Note, however,
                that I'm using interpreted script files as the source, so that might
                explain the difference.

                A user tool option to save open files before running would be great,
                and it doesn't seem that it would take that much effort to implement.

                I don't think that there's anything special about user dictionaries.
                Mine is named userdic.usd (in the EP folder) and is plain ASCII with
                each entry on its own line:

                SourceSafe
                VBScript
                VSS

                I think that the file gets created the first time you click Add in
                the spell checking dialog box.

                --- In editplus@yahoogroups.com, "shuttermutt <shuttermutt@y...>"

                Message 7 of 10 , Feb 26, 2003
                  <mljones1947@y...> wrote:
                  > I don't know exactly why my setup (latest version of EP on Windows
                  > 2000 Pro) behaves differently, but I do NOT get an empty document in
                  > situation 2, no matter what setting I have for the Create New
                  > Document setting.

                  ah, i think that is because i was slightly misstating what i am doing.

                  if i have the "open with new doc" checked, when i doubleclick on a
                  source doc from windows explorer, it JUST opens that document. which
                  is correct, as far as i am concerned. (this is what i suspect you're
                  doing, Michael)

                  however, if i still have "open with new doc" checked, rightclick and
                  choose "Editplus" from the context menu, it opens editplus, opens a
                  new doc, THEN opens the document(s) that i have selected and
                  rightclicked on.

                  so. only way to really get around it is to use Johan's suggestion for
                  new doc, and unclick the new doc option.

                  thanks a bunch for the thoughts, guys..