Re: [edit+] Re: tools argument

  • danny tatom
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 1, 2002
      "Michael L. Jones" <mljones1947@...> wrote:Jeff,

      First, let me say that I usually work in shops that don't use VSS
      for deployment. We have always had to hand off new or changes files,
      components, etc., to testers who controlled the testing servers, who
      then handed them off to the guys who controlled the production
      servers, etc. Big-time corporate stuff. Even when I work in less
      formal environments, I've never got into the habit of deploying from
      VSS.

      (Translated, I don't think that I'm ever going to have to use this,
      so I'm not terribly motivated <g>. Sorry.)

      That said, I can't find a method on any of the VSS Automation objects
      for deployment. Unless they gave it a really cryptic name, we're out
      of luck there.

      There is a deploy command line argument for the VSS command line
      interface, SS.exe, but it deploys to a path specified by a variable
      (Deploy_Path) in srcsafe.ini. It appears that this variable is set
      using the VSS Admin program and that there is only one setting for
      any VSS database.

      I've always developed in environments where we stored multiple
      projects, deployed to multiple servers, in one VSS database, so
      having a single deployment path variable doesn't make a lot of sense
      to me. Maybe the rest of the developers in the world have one
      deployment target per VSS database, but I doubt it. Whatever, it
      appears that VSS is designed to work that way when it comes to
      deployment. Of course, I might be missing something.

      If you can live with that, SS.exe, accepts a deploy argument with the
      syntax

      ss deploy "VSS project path"

      (There are several optional switches I omitted.)

      Maybe the argument

      deploy $(FileDir)

      in the EP tool setup would work, but I haven't tested it.

      Mike

      --- In editplus@y..., "blairsdaddy" <jbible@g...> wrote:
      > Mike,
      >
      > Thanks for responding again. I wasn't too clear before. the
      > foldername in my example is currently hardcoded. I would like to
      use
      > it in your structure by adding a "deploy" case to EPtoVSS.vbs and
      > have EPtoVSS.vbs receive the filename as a param and add the
      current
      > VSS project in front of it. Hopefully I am explaining this better.
      > was using <foldername> below to indicate any folder name, but in
      > actuality, it would be best if it would pick up the current working
      > dir and project on it's own.
      >
      > I do not think I will be able to do it solely through the editplus
      > command dialog, so I will need to use some sort of script such as
      > the one you have posted.
      >
      > TIA,
      >
      > Jeff
      >

      > --- In editplus@y..., "Michael L. Jones" <mljones1947@y...> wrote:
      > > Jeff,
      > >
      > > I confess that I'm confused by <foldername> in you samples. Is
      > that
      > > going to be hardcoded, or what? (Please don't tell that I missed
      > > something in the EP help file <g>.)
      > >
      > > I tried your first sample, using a test script in place of
      ss.exe,
      > > and EP sent two arguments:
      > >
      > > deploy
      > > $/<foldername>/TestFile.txt
      > >
      > > Depending on the answer to the <foldername> question, that seems
      > like
      > > it would be what ss.exe wants.
      > >
      > > Mike
      > >
      > > --- In editplus@y..., "blairsdaddy" <jbible@g...> wrote:
      > > > Hi,
      > > >
      > > > I have downloaded the COM version of Mike's add-in for VSS to
      > > > EditPlus. I am adding a tools menu item for Deploy, and am
      > having
      > > > problems with the file name being set.
      > > >
      > > > I have tried the following syntax and none are working:
      > > >
      > > > command: C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio\VSS\win32
      > \SS.exe
      > > > argument: deploy $/<foldername>/$(FileName)
      > > >
      > > > command: C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio\VSS\win32
      > \SS.exe
      > > > argument: deploy "$/<foldername>/" & $(FileName)
      > > >
      > > > what I need the string to be passed as, literally, is:
      > > > deploy "$/somefolder/currentFile.txt"
      > > > or other filename
      > > >
      > > > the 1st $ needs to be there, but I need to indicate to EP that
      > it
      > > > needs to use the macro for $(FileName) and put the file name on
      > the
      > > > end of the string.
      > > >
      > > > I might be missing some type of escape char or string
      > concatenation
      > > > character. Does anyone know what the syntax would be that would
      > > work
      > > > for this?
      > > >
      > > > Thanks,
      > > >
      > > > Jeff

      Yahoo! Groups Sponsorwrong person dude...ADVERTISEMENT