tools argument

  • blairsdaddy
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 20, 2002
      Hi,

      I have downloaded the COM version of Mike's add-in for VSS to
      EditPlus. I am adding a tools menu item for Deploy, and am having
      problems with the file name being set.

      I have tried the following syntax and none are working:

      command: C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio\VSS\win32\SS.exe
      argument: deploy $/<foldername>/$(FileName)

      command: C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio\VSS\win32\SS.exe
      argument: deploy "$/<foldername>/" & $(FileName)

      what I need the string to be passed as, literally, is:
      deploy "$/somefolder/currentFile.txt"
      or other filename

      the 1st $ needs to be there, but I need to indicate to EP that it
      needs to use the macro for $(FileName) and put the file name on the
      end of the string.

      I might be missing some type of escape char or string concatenation
      character. Does anyone know what the syntax would be that would work
      for this?

      Thanks,

      Jeff
    • Michael L. Jones
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 21, 2002
        Jeff,

        I confess that I'm confused by <foldername> in you samples. Is that
        going to be hardcoded, or what? (Please don't tell that I missed
        something in the EP help file <g>.)

        I tried your first sample, using a test script in place of ss.exe,
        and EP sent two arguments:

        deploy
        $/<foldername>/TestFile.txt

        Depending on the answer to the <foldername> question, that seems like
        it would be what ss.exe wants.

        Mike

        --- In editplus@y..., "blairsdaddy" <jbible@g...> wrote:
        > Hi,
        >
        > I have downloaded the COM version of Mike's add-in for VSS to
        > EditPlus. I am adding a tools menu item for Deploy, and am having
        > problems with the file name being set.
        >
        > I have tried the following syntax and none are working:
        >
        > command: C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio\VSS\win32\SS.exe
        > argument: deploy $/<foldername>/$(FileName)
        >
        > command: C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio\VSS\win32\SS.exe
        > argument: deploy "$/<foldername>/" & $(FileName)
        >
        > what I need the string to be passed as, literally, is:
        > deploy "$/somefolder/currentFile.txt"
        > or other filename
        >
        > the 1st $ needs to be there, but I need to indicate to EP that it
        > needs to use the macro for $(FileName) and put the file name on the
        > end of the string.
        >
        > I might be missing some type of escape char or string concatenation
        > character. Does anyone know what the syntax would be that would
        work
        > for this?
        >
        > Thanks,
        >
        > Jeff
      • blairsdaddy
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 21, 2002
          Mike,

          Thanks for responding again. I wasn't too clear before. the
          foldername in my example is currently hardcoded. I would like to use
          it in your structure by adding a "deploy" case to EPtoVSS.vbs and
          have EPtoVSS.vbs receive the filename as a param and add the current
          VSS project in front of it. Hopefully I am explaining this better. I
          was using <foldername> below to indicate any folder name, but in
          actuality, it would be best if it would pick up the current working
          dir and project on it's own.

          I do not think I will be able to do it solely through the editplus
          command dialog, so I will need to use some sort of script such as
          the one you have posted.

          TIA,

          Jeff

        • Michael L. Jones
          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 30, 2002
            Jeff,

            First, let me say that I usually work in shops that don't use VSS
            for deployment. We have always had to hand off new or changes files,
            components, etc., to testers who controlled the testing servers, who
            then handed them off to the guys who controlled the production
            servers, etc. Big-time corporate stuff. Even when I work in less
            formal environments, I've never got into the habit of deploying from
            VSS.

            (Translated, I don't think that I'm ever going to have to use this,
            so I'm not terribly motivated <g>. Sorry.)

            That said, I can't find a method on any of the VSS Automation objects
            for deployment. Unless they gave it a really cryptic name, we're out
            of luck there.

            There is a deploy command line argument for the VSS command line
            interface, SS.exe, but it deploys to a path specified by a variable
            (Deploy_Path) in srcsafe.ini. It appears that this variable is set
            using the VSS Admin program and that there is only one setting for
            any VSS database.

            I've always developed in environments where we stored multiple
            projects, deployed to multiple servers, in one VSS database, so
            having a single deployment path variable doesn't make a lot of sense
            to me. Maybe the rest of the developers in the world have one
            deployment target per VSS database, but I doubt it. Whatever, it
            appears that VSS is designed to work that way when it comes to
            deployment. Of course, I might be missing something.

            If you can live with that, SS.exe, accepts a deploy argument with the
            syntax

            ss deploy "VSS project path"

            (There are several optional switches I omitted.)

            Maybe the argument

            deploy $(FileDir)

            in the EP tool setup would work, but I haven't tested it.

          • danny tatom
            Message 5 of 5 , Dec 1, 2002
              "Michael L. Jones" <mljones1947@...> wrote:Jeff,

> [...]

              > > > I have tried the following syntax and none are working:
              > > >
              > > > command: C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio\VSS\win32
              > \SS.exe
              > > > argument: deploy $/<foldername>/$(FileName)
              > > >
              > > > command: C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio\VSS\win32
              > \SS.exe
              > > > argument: deploy "$/<foldername>/" & $(FileName)
              > > >
              > > > what I need the string to be passed as, literally, is:
              > > > deploy "$/somefolder/currentFile.txt"
              > > > or other filename
              > > >
              > > > the 1st $ needs to be there, but I need to indicate to EP that
              > it
              > > > needs to use the macro for $(FileName) and put the file name on
              > the
              > > > end of the string.
              > > >
              > > > I might be missing some type of escape char or string
              > concatenation
              > > > character. Does anyone know what the syntax would be that would

              Yahoo! Groups Sponsorwrong person dude...ADVERTISEMENT