Re: Integrating EditPlus with Source Control Systems

  • Michael L. Jones
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 7, 2002
      Everyone,

      I'm the one who uploaded the two versions of the VSS integration
      tools. I fell a little behind in reading my digests and just noticed
      this thread.

      I'm planning on reading this more carefully this weekend, plus I'm
      going to try out the EXE from the UltraEdit site.

      Adam, was your original problem with the command line version or the
      VBScript version? I'd like to patch or enhance either or both
      versions so that the next guys who download them will benefit from
      this thread.

      If anyone has any patches or enhancements they've coded and would
      like to share, please mail them to me directly as
      mljones1947@....

      Thanks.

      Mike

    • Adam
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 7, 2002
        Mike,

        I tried the command line version. I did not try the VBScript
        version. Nor did I try Yan's solution.

        The problem with the command line version and with Yan's solution is
        that if you do not set up VSS with same directory structure as you
        have on your PC, you cannot feed VSS the right path. Why, might you
        ask, would anyone set up VSS with a different directory structure?
        Good question. Anyway, we did. And now it is not so simple to change
        it.

        To explain the problem explicitly, I'll give the example of our
        situation. We are writing a web app in Tomcat. On my PC I have
        Tomcat installed under E:/Tomcat. The application is under
        E:/Tomcat/webapps/pires. We also have a Java middle tier. The Java
        classes are located under E:/Tomcat/source. VSS is setup, however,
        so that the name of our project is PBEP (the name of my division in
        my company). Underneath PBEP we have created a pires subdirectory
        and a source subdirectory. So stuff under E:/Tomcat/source needs to
        be mapped to "$/PBEP/source" and stuff under E:/Tomcat/webapps/pires
        needs to be mapped to "$/PBEP/pires".

        So let's suppose that I have some file, say:
        E:/Tomcat/webapps/pires/PWB/Main.jsp. This needs to be mapped
        to "$/PBEP/pires/PWB/Main.jsp." There is no way to do this with the
        Command line version or with Yan's solution. The problem is that you
        need to take the "E:/Tomcat/webapps/" and replace it with "$/PBEP".
        If you just use the filename and try to fudge it, you find that it
        only works for the top level directory and not the subdirectories.
        In the case of a file such as E:/Tomcat/source/MyClass.java,
        however, this would have to map to "$/PBEP/source/MyClass.java". So,
        here you have to replace the "E:/Tomcat" with "$/PBEP". Different
        from the other case because of the stupid way we set up VSS.

        So you need to be able to identify a Root directory where you keep
        your files. And you need to identify what to replace it with.
        Ideally, it would be good to have a little ini file where you keep
        the list of the root directories and what to replace them with. A
        little mapping list. And then, you should have a program or script
        that reads this ini file, looks at the file you passed it,
        identifies the directory, performs the string replacement, and then
        passed the proper string to SS.exe and runs it.

        The guy on the UltraEdit sight uses this idea to some degree. Not
        the idea of the ini file, but atleast the idea of passing in the
        root directory and it's replacement. I had to write to him. You
        won't find this version of SSUE, unless he has posted it very
        recently. When I found SSUE, it essentially solved my problem,
        because I only need to map, in practice to the pires directory (so
        just one replacement, no list needed). I don't use UE to modify my
        java files, just the files on the web site. After that I stopped
        looking at the problem. Had to get back to work! :-)

        Regards,

        Adam