PRB: Editing BOOT.INI file

  • Guess?
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 1, 2002
      Hi there.

      I've got a weird one for the group. I mailed it to the Author of
      EditPlus, but have not yet received an answer.

      System:
      Intel PIII 500 MHz
      512 MB RAM
      6 GB HD (3 GB free)

      OS:
      NT 4.0 sp 6a

      File:
      C:\boot.ini

      1. Remove hidden and read-only attribute from boot.ini file
      2. Open file with EditPlus.
      3. Modify file (e.g. timeout=15)
      4. Save file.
      5. Error message: "File operation failed. ... Access denied".
      6. Oops.

      It works with notepad and UltraEdit32.
      What gives?

      Cheers, John
    • Christian Weiss
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 1, 2002
        Hello Guess?,

        > C:\boot.ini

        > 1. Remove hidden and read-only attribute from boot.ini file

        I tried to reproduce your effect under WinXP and encountered the
        same.
        As far as I can figure out, it is not enough to just remove the hidden
        and read-only attributes, as boot.ini is a system file (i.e. the
        system attribute is also set). You have to also remove the system
        attribute - then you can save the file without problems.
        But: Windows Explorer normally does not allow you to remove system
        attributes - you have to use some other tool, e.g. Windows Commander.

        EditPlus behaviour seems to be correct, all other editors that allow
        overwriting of system files need special attention...

        --
        regards,
        -cw-

        Christian Weiss . Schulungen . Design . Programmierung
        A-1230 Wien/Vienna . Fon +43-1-8862479 . Fax +43-1-8871109
        http://das.verstehst.net . ICQ 4273362 ......verstanden?
      • Johan Hartin
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 2, 2002
          You have to change the system attribute aswell. Use
          "attrib -s c:\boot.ini" at the command line. I don't
          think it's a bug and I don't think that feature is
          needed, since if you don't know what you're doing you
          shouldn't be messing withn system files.

          Hope it helps you!
          /Johan

          --- Guess? <ness_john@...> skrev: > Hi there.

          > I've got a weird one for the group. I mailed it to
          > the Author of
          > EditPlus, but have not yet received an answer.
          >
          > System:
          > Intel PIII 500 MHz
          > 512 MB RAM
          > 6 GB HD (3 GB free)
          >
          > OS:
          > NT 4.0 sp 6a
          >
          > File:
          > C:\boot.ini
          >
          > 1. Remove hidden and read-only attribute from
          > boot.ini file
          > 2. Open file with EditPlus.
          > 3. Modify file (e.g. timeout=15)
          > 4. Save file.
          > 5. Error message: "File operation failed. ... Access
          > denied".
          > 6. Oops.
          >
          > It works with notepad and UltraEdit32.
          > What gives?
          >
          > Cheers, John

          Gratis e-mail resten av livet på www.yahoo.se/mail
          Busenkelt!
        • Guess?
          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 14, 2002
            Hi there

            Just a short follow-up from my side again.

            First, a thanks to Christian and Johnan for there hints regarding the
            system attribute.

            Second, Johann, if even Microsoft's Notepad allows the editing of
            system files, then your remark [...]since if you don't know what
            you're doing you shouldn't be messing withn system files.[...] is
            quite misplaced.

            Well it's always amusing to find out that even Microsoft doesn't look
            at system attributes. Why make them in the first place :-)

            Cheers

            John