6388Productivity hint

  • pja
    Sep 3, 2009
      Hello all,

      I use EditPlus for just about everything I type (including word
      processing). I have had a problem for quite some time with the way
      working directories are not remembered. For example; I might be coding
      some PHP and using the working directory C:\xampp\htdocs\dev\ - next
      time I go to save a new file EditPlus offers me the C:\Program
      Files\EditPlus\ directory which means I waste a considerable amount of
      time navigating to the PHP working directory. Same applies for other
      "development" or "document" directories. Well I have partially fixed the
      problem by changing the five locations in the Windows "Places Bar" (the
      left-hand column in the "Save As" dialogue. The solution uses a small
      Registry modification. Alternatively, you can use TweakUI to achieve the
      same result. The following URL will take you to the web page with
      details of how to modify the registry.

      The text of that page follows:

      ----------Start Extract----------

      Would you like to customise the shortcuts displayed in the placebar on
      the left hand side of Window's open/save dialog window?

      Do you have folders for your downloaded files and don't want the Windows
      default placebar offerings?

      I like saving downloaded files to either the "Download" or "Temp"
      directory, not MY Desktop, or other silly Windows default choices.

      Step by Step,

      1. Start Regedit
      2. Navigate to

      (If the comdlg32 key does not exist, you need to create it and
      create a subkey under the comdlg32 key named Placesbar)
      3. Right click the rightside panel and create a new STRING value
      entry for every shortcut you want in the Placesbar.
      4. Name them Place0, Place1, Place2, Place3, Place4 (maximum of 5
      5. Double-click each newly created string value to set their string
      data to any directory you want. Type out the entire proper path.
      (Example: C:\backup\downloads)
      6. Exit the Registry and try it out by attempting to download
      something, and after you click "Save", your new personal folder
      choices should now appear in the left hand panel.

      As always, remember to perform a registry backup prior to editing the

      I hope that helps.

      *Peter Anderson*
      There is nothing more difficult to take in hand, more perilous to
      conduct, or more uncertain in its success, than to take the lead in the
      introduction of a new order of things—Niccolo Machiavelli, /The Prince/,
      ch. 6
    • Show all 8 messages in this topic