6274Re: [edit+] EditPlus, VIM, tab spacing

  • Aleem Juma
    May 16, 2009
      2009/5/16 DZ-Jay <dz@...>:
      > On May 15, 2009, at 14:16, Mark Kahn wrote:
      >> Anyway, it doesn't matter for indentation purposes.  if you use tabs
      >> it'll
      >> look right no matter how a tab is interpreted.
      >
      > You are still assuming equally space tab stops, which are not
      > necessarily the case.

      Even with differently spaced tab stops, each level of code will be at
      a *different* indentation which is all that counts e.g.

      // tabs at spaces 4 and 6 i.e. not equally spaced
      function foo (bar) {
      ....if (bar) {
      ......foo(bar+1);
      ......return;
      ....} else {
      ......foo(bar+2);
      ......return;
      ....}

      >> Basically tab stops should be n * "width of one space character".
      >

      > Isn't that the same as forcing your own personal preference on
      > others?  I'm being purposely facetious here, to show the flaw in your
      > argument.  Although I grant that your suggestions are valid and based
      > on common-sense (and close to my own preferences, too), I do not agree
      > with your unwavering assertion that it is The One True Way.

      Agreed - I guess the "n spaces" tab width would make most sense with
      fixed-width fonts, and exact widths with variable-width fonts but
      again, each to their own when it comes to how your tab widths are set
      (I guess it would also depend somewhat on the capabilities of the
      editor)

      > Also, my comment regarding curly-braces was meant as a joke, alluding
      > to the other religious war frequently waged in the Internet.

      emacs is dead... long live vi !! ;-)