5913Re: Scrolling with the mouse scroll wheel when a window is "split"

  • Michael L. Jones
    May 8 2:17 PM
      Let's see if we agree on a couple of things: Pressing a key should
      perform some action in the window (considering lists and splits as
      windows) that has focus. The scroll wheel should scroll the window
      that has focus.

      If we agree on that, then the question becomes: Can two different
      windows have focus, one for the keyboard and one for the mouse?
      Microsoft thinks that the answer is no. In Windows, the operating
      system, windows only get focus for the mouse when you click in them,
      not when the mouse moves over them.

      Open Windows Explorer with the folder list displayed and play around
      with it. It behaves exactly like EditPlus. This makes sense, since
      most Windows-specific programs use native Windows controls or
      something subclassed from them.

      Now open Firefox, display the bookmarks or history list on the left
      and play around with it. It behaves the way you prefer. (I'm
      sure that there are other examples besides Firefox, but it's what came
      to mind.) Could this be because Firefox is portable across operating
      systems and does not use native Windows controls? (Note that Internet
      Explorer behaves the same as Windows Explorer.)

      So, which is correct? I'd say that EditPlus is following the Windows
      standard, good or bad, established by Microsoft. I think that your
      complaint should be directed to Windows, not to EditPlus.