5023Simplfying Configuration Setting Locations

  • Michael L. Jones
    Jan 1, 2007
      Inspired by the most recent FTP thread:

      One thing that bothers me about EditPlus is that its setting are
      located all over the place: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE and HKEY_CURRENT_USER
      in the registry, ini files in the program folder, ini files in the
      "INI File Directory," personalized versus shared ini files, etc.
      (Yeah, I know that I'm "supposed to" use the Preferences dialog box,
      but sometimes it's easier to make mass changes in the files.) I'm sure
      that this situation evolved over time, but maybe it's time to start
      from scratch and simplify things.

      I'm not sure if this is the best approach, but I think that I like the
      way that FileZilla does it: Ask on installation if you want to use the
      registry or file system for storing settings. Extending that approach,
      EditPlus installation options would include if you want to use shared
      or personalized settings and where you want to store them.

      The result would be a minimal configuration file in the program folder
      specifying where to find everything else. (Obviously, there would
      always have to be registry entries for file associations and a few
      other things.)

      If you really wanted to do this right, you could specify shared or
      personalized and location by type of configuration item: templates,
      syntax files, projects, user tools, etc. Then you should share certain
      things among team members while allowing other things to be customized
      by individual.

      I thought that I'd throw this out here to see if others agree. I don't
      like sending suggestions directly to Sangil because I might be the
      only person who thinks something is a good idea.

    • Show all 3 messages in this topic