4709Re: [edit+] Re: Date Modified in EditPlus

  • Dave Hanby
    Jun 30, 2006
      Thanks to John for his help. Actually the problem was kind of "from left
      field"....

      It wasnt the OS or EditPlus... it was ZoneAlarm...

      I updated ZoneAlarm the same day that I did some other routine updates, and
      that was the problem. So many people complained to ZoneAlarm that they
      quickly released a new patch, and now all if fine.

      It was a major pain in the keester not having 'sort by date' functionality
      (especially for ftp).

      Here are some links to posts regarding this issue.

      http://www.newsgator.com/forum/shwmessage.aspx?ForumID=16&MessageID=19045&TopicPage=2
      http://www.castlecops.com/postx158890-0-15.html
      http://forum.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/board/message?board.id=gen&message.id=34210

      >Hi Dave,
      >
      >I tested this, and it works as expected, i.e. the date changes on a
      >file as soon as I save it. This is something implemented by the
      >operating system, not by EditPlus (although an application is capable
      >of changing the date on a file, but in this case it makes no sense to
      >do that).
      >
      >So I would suggest that this has nothing to do with EditPlus. Try
      >booting into Safe Mode, or try disabling everything from startup
      >(using something like Sysinternals Autoruns
      >(http://www.sysinternals.com/Utilities/Autoruns.html) and see if it
      >still happens.
      >
      >Cheers,
      >

      >--John
      >
      >On 6/27/06, Dave Hanby <dshanby@...> wrote:
      > >
      > > I have that option checked ("Check file modification when activiated").
      >What
      > > that seems to do is to see if the file has been updated outside
      >EditPlus,
      > > and if so EditPlus will reload the file (or prompt if you deselect the
      > > "Reload modified files automatically".
      > >
      > > I can see this work if I open foo.txt in EditPlus and also in Notepad.
      >Edit
      > > it in notepad and save it, and EditPlus will popup a "This file was
      >modified
      > > outside EditPlus, do you want to reload it?" dialog.
      > >
      > > In any case, that is not the issue. The problem is that the DATE
      >MODIFIED
      > > (as listed in Windows Explorer or any FTP program, does not show the
      >last
      > > modification date. In fact, since this "broke" (after reinstalling the
      >most
      > > recent version of EditPlus) the modification dates are the last time I
      > > touched the file (ie changed and saved it).
      > >
      > > Anyone else have a suggestion?
      > >
      > > -j

      > > >change.

      > > >and

      > > >the .bak
      > > >was
      > > >and

      > > >pro.
      > > > >
      > > >Files page (Preferences dialog box)
      > > >
      > > >Check file modification when activated
      > > >
      > > >Check this option to enable checking modification of open files
      > > >outside EditPlus. This might take some time if you edit files on
      > > >networked drive with slow connection.

    • Show all 5 messages in this topic