4704Re: [edit+] Re: Date Modified in EditPlus

  • qsfe-kdhw@spamex.com
    Jun 26, 2006
      Hi Dave,

      I tested this, and it works as expected, i.e. the date changes on a
      file as soon as I save it. This is something implemented by the
      operating system, not by EditPlus (although an application is capable
      of changing the date on a file, but in this case it makes no sense to
      do that).

      So I would suggest that this has nothing to do with EditPlus. Try
      booting into Safe Mode, or try disabling everything from startup
      (using something like Sysinternals Autoruns
      (http://www.sysinternals.com/Utilities/Autoruns.html) and see if it
      still happens.

      Cheers,

      --John

      On 6/27/06, Dave Hanby <dshanby@...> wrote:

      > I have that option checked ("Check file modification when activiated"). What
      > that seems to do is to see if the file has been updated outside EditPlus,
      > and if so EditPlus will reload the file (or prompt if you deselect the
      > "Reload modified files automatically".
      >
      > I can see this work if I open foo.txt in EditPlus and also in Notepad. Edit
      > it in notepad and save it, and EditPlus will popup a "This file was modified
      > outside EditPlus, do you want to reload it?" dialog.
      >
      > In any case, that is not the issue. The problem is that the DATE MODIFIED
      > (as listed in Windows Explorer or any FTP program, does not show the last
      > modification date. In fact, since this "broke" (after reinstalling the most
      > recent version of EditPlus) the modification dates are the last time I
      > touched the file (ie changed and saved it).
      >
      > Anyone else have a suggestion?
      >
      > -j
      >

      > >--- In editplus@yahoogroups.com, "jissho" <dshanby@...> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > There is another thread about this problem, but the issue is pretty
      > > > straight forward...
      > > >
      > > > In EditPlus, open a file (eg foo.php) and edit it. Then save it. In
      > > > Windows Explorer or any FTP program, the DATE MODIFIED does not
      > >change.
      > > >
      > > > Open the same foo.php in Notepad, DreamWeaver, etc, and modify it,
      > >and
      > > > the DATE MODIFIED changes as it should.
      > > >
      > > > Further, when you set EditPlus to create an (eg) .bak file,
      > >the .bak
      > > > file's DATE MODIFIED timestamp is the same time as the file that
      > >was
      > > > saved. In other words if foo.php was last touched on Jan 1, 2002
      > >and
      > > > you open it, modify it and save it in EditPlus, the result is:
      > > >
      > > > FILE DATE MODIFIED
      > > > foo.php Jan 1, 2002
      > > > foo.bak Jan 1, 2002
      > > >
      > > > This is the first time I have seen this behavior in years of using
      > > > EditPlus. Any ideas about how to fix this?
      > > >
      > > > I uninstalled and reinstalled EditPlus several times and also
      > > > installed an old version. The result was always the same, the DATE
      > > > MODIFIED did not change.
      > > >
      > > > I have not found this error in any other program running in WinXP
      > >pro.
      > > >
      > >Files page (Preferences dialog box)
      > >
      > >Check file modification when activated
      > >
      > >Check this option to enable checking modification of open files
      > >outside EditPlus. This might take some time if you edit files on
      > >networked drive with slow connection.

    • Show all 5 messages in this topic