4703RE: [edit+] Re: Date Modified in EditPlus

  • Dave Hanby
    Jun 26, 2006
      I have that option checked ("Check file modification when activiated"). What
      that seems to do is to see if the file has been updated outside EditPlus,
      and if so EditPlus will reload the file (or prompt if you deselect the
      "Reload modified files automatically".

      I can see this work if I open foo.txt in EditPlus and also in Notepad. Edit
      it in notepad and save it, and EditPlus will popup a "This file was modified
      outside EditPlus, do you want to reload it?" dialog.

      In any case, that is not the issue. The problem is that the DATE MODIFIED
      (as listed in Windows Explorer or any FTP program, does not show the last
      modification date. In fact, since this "broke" (after reinstalling the most
      recent version of EditPlus) the modification dates are the last time I
      touched the file (ie changed and saved it).

      Anyone else have a suggestion?

      -j

      >--- In editplus@yahoogroups.com, "jissho" <dshanby@...> wrote:
      > >
      > > There is another thread about this problem, but the issue is pretty
      > > straight forward...
      > >
      > > In EditPlus, open a file (eg foo.php) and edit it. Then save it. In
      > > Windows Explorer or any FTP program, the DATE MODIFIED does not
      >change.
      > >
      > > Open the same foo.php in Notepad, DreamWeaver, etc, and modify it,
      >and
      > > the DATE MODIFIED changes as it should.
      > >
      > > Further, when you set EditPlus to create an (eg) .bak file,
      >the .bak
      > > file's DATE MODIFIED timestamp is the same time as the file that
      >was
      > > saved. In other words if foo.php was last touched on Jan 1, 2002
      >and
      > > you open it, modify it and save it in EditPlus, the result is:
      > >
      > > FILE DATE MODIFIED
      > > foo.php Jan 1, 2002
      > > foo.bak Jan 1, 2002
      > >
      > > This is the first time I have seen this behavior in years of using
      > > EditPlus. Any ideas about how to fix this?
      > >
      > > I uninstalled and reinstalled EditPlus several times and also
      > > installed an old version. The result was always the same, the DATE
      > > MODIFIED did not change.
      > >
      > > I have not found this error in any other program running in WinXP
      >pro.
      > >
      >Files page (Preferences dialog box)
      >
      >Check file modification when activated
      >
      >Check this option to enable checking modification of open files
      >outside EditPlus. This might take some time if you edit files on
      >networked drive with slow connection.

    • Show all 5 messages in this topic