4551Re: [edit+] Binary or ASCII

  • Mark Kahn
    Apr 5, 2006
      In general upload text (.txt, .html, .php, .js, etc) as ASCII, upload
      everything else (images, .xls, .doc, .exe, .zip, etc) as Binary.

      Why not just upload everything as binary? Simply put because windows, *nix
      (unix, linux, bsd, etc) and Mac OS can't agree on what constitutes a simple
      line break.

      Unix uses one character (10)
      Windows use two characters (10, 13)
      Mac OS (at least os9, not sure about OSX) uses a different character (13)

      So if you are transfering text files from a windows system to a unix server
      all the line breaks need to be converted from (10, 13) to (10). That's why
      ASCII mode exists - solely to convert these stupid line breaks.

      If you try to upload a php script from windows to unix in binary mode you'll
      get errors since your unix server won't know what all those extra (13)
      characters mean.

      IF you are uploading from windows-->windows, unix-->unix or mac-->mac then
      you can use binary for everything.

      -Mark