4454Re: [edit+] Quick search

    Jan 26, 2006
      It is not a matter of being "lazy". It is a matter of keeping the
      number of steps short so that your brain can concentrate on what is
      really important. When you are dealing with large projects or
      documents, and you need to perform many searches, it is much more
      efficient if you can hit one single key stroke that will start or
      continue a search, while your eyes focus on the selected word and its
      surroundings to know when to stop; especially if it is something that
      is done very often. Granted, to search for a simple string in a
      document once in a while, this might be over-kill, but when you are,
      say, programming, and you have a specific thing in your head that you
      want to do -- right now -- but just need to find the spot where you
      need to do it, within a large source code file, dialog boxes and extra
      key strokes distract immensely.

      The fact that those extra-extra-shortcuts exist are testament to their
      usefulness and popularity.

      In any case, to each his own, right?

      dZ.