1173EMILY DICKINSON AND SAM, THE MASTER

  • billarnoldfla
    May 29, 2013

      Hi, Dickinsonians,

      Emily Dickinson wrote,

      "A little Madness in the Spring,
      Is wholesome even for the King...."

      So, Dickinsonians worldwide wish to be worldwise and want to know,
      who was her masculine "King"? In *capital letters,* she gave
      us her *Master's* name, in the first line of poem 1333, in a letter
      of many, at least one hundred or more now known, that she sent
      her confidante Elizabeth Holland, her friend of the years and her
      go-between who lived nearby *him* in Springfield, Massachusetts,
      since at least 1852, three years prior to the start of the bulk of
      her love poems:

      S Spring
      A A
      M Madness

      and what of this "Madness" in "Spring" they brought to each other?
      Some call it *LOVE*!!! Sort of accounts for the secret love poems.
      Sort of accounts for the *S-I-M-P-L-I-C-I-T-Y* of her easily seen
      encryption of the name of her secret love!

      You know what irks some fans and some students of Dickinson?
      It is that it took Bill Arnold, Dickinson scholar, only one little
      book called *Emily Dickinson's Secret Love: Mystery *Master* Behind
      Poems to turn their faulty world interpretations of her poems upside
      down. Well, too bad! That is the way Emily Dickinson wrote her writings,
      with her one thousand secret love poems, prominent, front and
      center, and she could care less if the rest of the world is hot and
      bothered, and breathing hard. Too bad, too bad, too bad, she said.
      You know she wrote that poem about a worm on a string in her
      bedroom which turned into an erect talking snake and had no qualms
      about offering it to the world as one of her premiere presentations
      of her SAM B artistic cryptology poems! It's Poem 1670 (Johnson) in
      case you missed it, and note that her best girlfriend Elizabeth Holland's
      grandaughter was editor of that edition, and had no qualms about it.
      Check it out, folks!

      It is interesting when one looks at Dickinson's writings in toto
      one finds that she clearly conveyed who her secret love was.
      In any court of law, any jury basing their decision on the
      written documentary evidence in Emily Dickinson's own writings,
      would conclude beyond a "reasonable doubt" that Samuel Bowles
      was her secret love and the masculine "Sir/Sire/Master" behind
      all her love poems, circa one thousand!

      The fact that she embedded these facts of her life in her writings,
      also found in circa one thousand letters, many to "Him" as well,
      and took the extraordinary *S-T-E-P-S* over her entire life to
      encypher SAM B letters, and all in capital letters, to make it
      crystal clear she intended for them to stand out, leaves only
      the inescapable conclusion that she intended for posterity to
      *KNOW* ! So, who are we to deny her *authorial intention*?

      Take note in the following poem which was written in 1862
      that she wrote *words* which she used in letters and letter-poems
      to Samuel Bowles in the very *SAME* year and which undeniably
      demonstrate he was the *Master* !

      Poem 640 below clearly invokes while he is away at sea her
      fear that "were You lost" while they were "Oceans" apart that
      she would implore "heaven" on his behalf. No doubt the very
      same thoughts were imparted in Poem 226 which is not really
      a poem apart but part of a letter to Samuel Bowles, Letter 249,
      in which she calls herself "your *Queen*--Mr. Bowles." So, who
      among the world of Dickinson scholars doubts Samuel Bowles
      was the *Master*? Well, none who can read! And why would she not
      be *Queen* to the *Master Plantagenet King*? After all, it is not
      our surmise but the *W-O-R-D-S* of Dickinson!

      She wrote, in part, in that letter, what has been divorced from her
      recipient by ill-advised editors in creating the host of her poems when
      in fact many were letters, to Samuel Bowles: "Should you but fail
      at--Sea--In sight of me--or doomed lie--next Sun--to die--Or rap--at
      Paradise--unheard --I'd *harass* God--Until he let you in!" Oh, yes,
      this woman who knew the meaning of words, wrote to Sam B, in this very
      same Letter 249, "My Love is my only apology...I have met--no others."
      Sounds like *Love* to me! if it sounds like a "Homesick...Housewife,"
      and if it writes like a "Homesick...Housewife," then it must *BE* a
      "Homesick...Housewife." Make that [sic] also on the word *Love* which
      she herself capitalized in her letter to Samue Bowles!

      Poem 640 (Johnson) was "written" by Emily Dickinson,
      manufactured into booklet 9, circa 1862. Emily Dickinson
      placed it into a series of her love letters to the world,
      and made it explicit the "Master" was not Jesus, and yet
      the poem clearly is about her masculine "Sir/Master:"

      I cannot live with You--
      It would be Life--
      And Life is over there--
      Behind the Shelf

      The Sexton keeps the Key to--
      Putting up
      Our Life--His Porcelain--
      Like a Cup--

      Discarded of the Housewife--
      Quaint--or Broke--
      A newer Sevres pleases--
      Old Ones crack--

      I could not die--with You--
      For One must wait
      To shut the Other’s Gaze downâ€"
      You--could not--

      And I--Could I stand by
      And see You--freeze--
      Without my Right of Frost--
      Death’s privilege?

      Nor could I rise--with You--
      Because Your Face
      Would put out Jesus’--
      That New Grace

      Glow plain--and foreign
      On my homesick Eye--
      Except that You than He
      Shone closer by--

      They’d judge Usâ€"-How--
      For You--served Heaven--You know,
      Or sought to--
      I could not--

      Because You saturated Sight--
      And I had no more Eyes
      For sordid excellence
      As Paradise

      And were You lost, I would be--
      Though My Name
      Rang loudest
      On the Heavenly fame--

      And were You--saved--
      And I--condemned to be
      Where You were not--
      That self--were Hell to Me--

      So We must meet apart--
      You there--I--here--
      With just the Door ajar
      That Oceans are--and Prayer--
      And that White Sustenance--
      Despair--

      --Emily Dickinson

      No doubt, for Dickinsonians, this poem will ring true for the Truth
      of 1862, when she and her Master, Samuel Bowles, were "Oceans...apart,"
      he in Europe and she in Amherst, and she already dressed in white, hidden
      behind doors, so that when he returned that fall, Emily Dickinson was
      already in selcusion.

      We are still on square one: love :)

      Bill Arnold

      Bill Arnold
      billarnoldfla@...
      MFA, U-Mass, Amherst
      Dickinson Scholar
      Independent Scholar
      Independent Scholar, Modern Language Association
      Professor of world literature classics
      Author, EMILY DICKINSON'S SECRET LOVE: Mystery "Master" Behind Poems,
      230 pages, 1998.
      ISBN 1-892582-00-7

      "There is magic in the web" Shakespeare (Othello, Act 3, Scene 4)