[Fwd: [ANCIENT-RECIPE] Dandelion Jelly]

  • joel
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 9, 2000
      -------- Original Message --------
      Subject: [ANCIENT-RECIPE] Dandelion Jelly
      Date: Thu, 09 Mar 2000 19:11:29 -0600
      From: Lavanda <lavanda@...>
      To: jam-recipe@onelist.com, uk-recipe@onelist.com,
      herb_kitchen@onelist.com, fresh-herb-recipe@onelist.com,
      backyard-paradise@onelist.com, sauce-recipe@onelist.com,
      breakfast-recipe@onelist.com, texas-recipe@onelist.com,
      ancient-recipe@onelist.com, mediev

      From: Lavanda <lavanda@...>

      Dandelion Jelly

      2 cups dandelion blossoms
      1 qt. water
      1 pkg. ( 1 3/4 oz.) powdered fruit pectin
      5 1/2 cups sugar
      2 tbsp. orange or lemon extract
      4 to 6 drops green food coloring (optional)

      In a saucepan, bring dandelion blossoms and water to a boil;
      boil for 4 minutes.

      Strain through a damp jelly bag or cheesecloth, reserving 3
      cups liquid.

      Discard the blossoms. In a large kettle, combine dandelion
      liquid and
      pectin; stir well. Bring to a full rolling boil over high
      heat, stirring constantly. Remove from the heat; add
      extract and food
      coloring if desired.

      Skim off foam. Pour the hot liquid into hot sterilized jars,
      leaving
      1/4" head space. Adjust lids.

      Process for 5 min.in a boiling water bath.

      Yield: about 6 1/2 pints.

      GET A NEXTCARD VISA, in 30 seconds! Get rates
      as low as 0.0% Intro APR and no hidden fees.
      Apply NOW!
      http://click.egroups.com/1/975/4/_/606308/_/952650276/
    • Pam Rudd
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 9, 2000
        At 03:20 AM 03/10/2000 +0100, you wrote:

        >Dandelion Jelly
        >
        >2 cups dandelion blossoms
        >1 qt. water
        >1 pkg. ( 1 3/4 oz.) powdered fruit pectin
        >5 1/2 cups sugar
        >2 tbsp. orange or lemon extract
        >4 to 6 drops green food coloring (optional)

        ????

        So, you're making lemon or orange flavored jelly,
        but calling it dandelion because you boiled a few
        dandelion blossoms? Having munched a few dandelion
        blossoms in my day, I can say they don't have a distict
        flavor of their own.

        Pam & The Thunderpuppies
        --------

        " One of the true qualities of an Amazon is being able to plant a very
        large burr firmly in the a** of an a**hole while remaining indifferent."

        Gina Kueker 1/6/00