Nanny berries and mushrooms

  • markie-ct@xxxx.xxxxxxxxxxx.xxx
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 7, 1999
      Hi, I am new to your list, from NE Oklahoma, and trying
      to learn about the wild foods around me.

      I have to laugh everytime you mention nannyberries, since
      that is what we call the beads a nanny goat leaves behind.

      Do these berries grow in Oklahoma? We have lots of black-
      berries and raspberries, and I am told huckleberries.
      I don't know about huckleberies firsthand.

      Also, this summer I found a mushroom like nothing I
      had ever seen before. It was all alone, an umberella type
      with open gills (the ribs under the cap?), but it looked like someone had coated it with brass.... or maybe gold. It reflected in the sunlight
      so that I saw it from at least 50 yards away, even though it was in
      deep grass just outside the woods. Can someone tell me anything about it?

      Thanks in advance,
      Joyce
    • Richard Nadeau
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 7, 1999
        Joyce:
        Never heard that about nannyberries. Do you make jewelry with them like our
        moose nuggets ( see them at http://www.naturallist.com/jewelry.htm )?
        I'm not definitely certain but believe that nannyberry is a northern tree.
        You would have to tell me a lot more about this mushroom for an ID. From
        your description, I assume it was fairly big and tall and gold color or
        bright yellow--almost sounds like one of the deadly fly agarics. Did it have
        a ring and volva? See if you can find it at
        http://www.naturallist.com/mushroom.htm ?
        Yours,
        Richard Nadeau
        http://www.naturallist.com nado@...
        Forest Foragers for your natural and wild foods, herbal medicines, crafts
        materials and things

        ,