nannyberrys

  • sweetf6345@xxx.xxx
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 16, 1999
      I'm looking for recipes using nannyberries. Has anyone used them successfully in jellies or preserves?.

      Jane from NH
    • Joanie MacPhee
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 16, 1999
        Nope, haven't made any...the stone is quite large inside, not very juicy. I
        have not cooked them at all, in fact, and never found enough to do that much
        with.. Fernald and Kinsey say they are not very good cooked, but that with
        the addition of a "tart fruit" to it, it might be better. If it needs tart
        fruit, that means it would probably need a lot of pectin. Perhaps it would
        be best mixed with apples or wild grapes? Where 'bouts in NH are you?
        How's the rain?
        Joanie

        >I'm looking for recipes using nannyberries. Has anyone used them
        successfully in jellies or preserves?.

        >Jane from NH
      • Richard Nadeau
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 16, 1999
          Hi Jane:
          I have use nanyberries in jams but it usually comes out better as a butter.
          The pulp has the consistency of prunes. The seed is rather large for the
          pulp but is edible and nutritious. I blend it (seed and all) into a puree
          with a little sugared water and generous amount of ascorbic acid until I get
          the consistency I want. This also dries well as a fruit skin. Next batch I
          make will include nuts. Nannyberry is nutritious and keeps well but is on
          the bland side, I think. The best use, I have found for it is in making is
          in Pemmigan--I have a recipe for this at the bottom of
          http://www.naturallist.com/moose.htm
          Yours,
          Richard Nadeau
          http://www.naturallist.com nado@...
          Forest Foragers for your natural and wild foods, herbal medicines, crafts
          materials and things