Dandelions -- flowers and greens

  • Aspenglow7@aol.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 5, 1999
      Dear Weedeaters :-),

      Does anyone have any good recipes for dandelions -- greens and flowers?

      I have eaten the flowers fried in butter (much like squash blossoms) and the
      greens in soup. Any other ideas?

      Thanks and Spring Blessings,

      Aspenglow7@...
    • HILLERY HANBY
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 5, 1999
        >From: Aspenglow7@...
        >
        >Dear Weedeaters :-),
        >
        >Does anyone have any good recipes for dandelions -- greens and flowers?

        Hello fellow Weedeater!

        My father liked dandy greens stir fried with a little vinegar added after
        cooking.

        Here is a re-post from another group on the flowers:

        DEEP-FRIED DANDELION FLOWERS

        Dandelions are not sour when first picked in the spring. My 72 year old
        neighbor was delighted when we moved in this spring. She asked if I was
        going to cook my dandelions and could my children help her gather the
        buttons for dinner.

        After I got over my initial shock....I had always thought you just
        sprayed those weeds to get them out of the yard....I said sure. I guess
        she assumed that because we sort of live off our place a bit....that we
        of course ate the dandelions too.

        After eating my first batch of buttons....I'm going to rope off an area
        that won't be privy to the dogs for next years crop. We took the big
        button....meaning the fully mature flowers....you only want the really
        big ones say 1 1/2 inches or bigger. The others can be eaten but take
        more work. Pick a bowl full. Rinse them off. Dip in beaten egg. Then roll
        in cracker crumbs...Hi-ho kind taste the best. Then sort of deep fry in a
        hot skillet...they cook fast so you have to stand right over them.

        They taste a lot like deep fried mushrooms. We got to share with the
        little lady next door our dipping sauce....we dipped them in Ranch
        dressing. She promptly went out the next day and bought her own bottle!

        Enjoy!

        Hillery
      • Andre & Melana
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 6, 1999
          Aspenglow7@... wrote:

          > From: Aspenglow7@...
          >
          > Dear Weedeaters :-),
          >
          > Does anyone have any good recipes for dandelions -- greens and flowers?
          >
          > I have eaten the flowers fried in butter (much like squash blossoms) and the
          > greens in soup. Any other ideas?
          >
          > Thanks and Spring Blessings,
          >
          > Aspenglow7@...

          I have loads of recipes at my site. 7 pages when I printed it all out.
          Good luck!

          Melana

          --
          Wild Edible: http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Farm/9320/index.html