some plants to eat...

  • Richard McNab
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 12, 1999
      Hi,
      As a new member of this group, I would just like to add a few of my own
      tastes in wild and edible weeds. It has to be said, one of my favorite wild
      foods are without doubt, the wild strawberry. Here in Derbyshire, they grow
      in profusion along the limestone dales in the open, and also in the
      woodland shade. The fruits are tiny when compared to the garden strawberry,
      but the taste more than makes up for its size. Sweet Cicely is another
      plant I've taken to. It's flavour is very much like aniseed, and it cooks
      well when added to fruit tarts and pies.

      At the height of summer, this whole area abounds with a host a delicious
      plants and fruits, whilst later on, there are the wild mushrooms and nuts.

      A word or two of warning to those of you who are new to edible plant
      hunting. Check everything you find in using a good illustrated book on wild
      plants and mushrooms. If you're unsure about anything at all, leave it well
      alone! Many plants look good to eat, but a lot of them are also... deadly!!

      What are your favorite edible plants?

      Richard.
    • Andre & Melana
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 13, 1999
        Richard McNab wrote:

        > Hi,
        > As a new member of this group, I would just like to add a few of my own
        > tastes in wild and edible weeds. It has to be said, one of my favorite wild
        > foods are without doubt, the wild strawberry....

        I also love the wild strawberry. Some people think they are to much
        trouble to pick but if you think about the cost of buying domestic
        plants, working the soil, caring for the soil and plants...picking the
        fruit...adding sugar...Then one day or two picking wild strawberries for
        free sounds much more tempting. I love the flavor and have never had a
        problem with my jelly. They have a much higher pectin content than
        domestic strawberries.

        Also high one my fruit list are bramble berries such as red raspberries
        and blackberries. Pies, jelly, cobblers and a wonderful tea from the
        leaves....and I am in heaven. Wild strawberry leaves also make a great
        tea and I collect the leaves right along with the fruit.

        For sheer heaven I hunt morel mushrooms. Battered and deep fried there
        is nothing else to hit the taste buds that can come close.

        Looking out my window at the snow and wishing for spring....need to
        close before I drool on the keyboard...lol

        Melana
        --
        Personal: http://www.geocities.com/EnchantedForest/Glade/2031/lead.htm
        Wild Edible: http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Farm/9320/index.html