A few questions...

  • cway95
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 27, 2007
      Hello all,

      Does anybody know where exactly was the old Campbell's Soup factory and
      what railroad served it? Also, what factory was across the bridge from
      the Nabisco Factory on Kedzie avenue...When I moved over there back in
      2001,the remains of whatever building was there was being
      removed...Hope to interact with you all soon...

      Cway
    • tower_b12
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 27, 2007
        Hi Cway,

        The former factory site across the tracks/hill from Nabisco you refer
        to was the home of the Rheem water heater plant. By the late 1980s it
        was almost all shut down, with barely any workers left.

        That plant was a major employer in the area, one of many iconic
        American manufacturing names no longer around. Rheem remains a major
        name in the industry, but the factory is now in Mexico.

        The plant had a big, distinctive neon sign on top of the building that
        I saw for years as a kid growing up in that area. I wouldn't be
        surprised if Eddie, the founder of this Yahoo group, has a photo of it
        squirreled away somewhere!

        Anthony
      • tower_b12
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 27, 2007
          Sorry if this is a double post. First reply didn't seem to go through.

          Cway,

          That plant across from Nabisco is the old Rheem water heater plant.
          By the late 1980s, it was almost completely shut down with not many
          workers left. The factory is now in Mexico.

          Anthony

          --- In eddiesrailfanpage2006@yahoogroups.com, "cway95" <cway95@...>