Natural Resource Conference at Cornell University

  • rebecca darling
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 26 5:16 AM

    Cornell University's

    Institute for African Development

    Blessing or Curse of Natural Resources: Extractive Industries and Foreign Entities in African Economies

    Location and Times

    The symposium will be held in McManus Lounge, Hollister Hall, on the Cornell campus, on April 29 and 30. The first session begins at 3:30 PM on Friday, April 29.

    http://www.einaudi.cornell.edu/africa/academics/resource_symposium.asp
  • Nilmini Gunaratne Rubin
    Message 2 of 2 , Apr 27 11:07 AM
      Below is an announcement of a panel discussion in Washington DC that may be of interest....

      The Arab uprisings are troubling Americans: Is it decent to deal with authoritarians in exchange for oil and “stability”? Does it advance long-term US interests? Right now, do we even have a choice? Is our economy so dependent on oil that we must secure it at any cost? And what leverage can the US exert on exporters, given an oil-thirsty China? Many Americans want the United States to take a more principled stand with the oil states. Yet what are our principles – and can we afford them?

      THE UNITED STATES AND THE OIL STATES
      New Challenges for American Policy

      A Public Panel Discussion, featuring

      STEVE LEVINE
      “The Oil and the Glory,” FOREIGN POLICY magazine

      MOISES NAIM
      Carnegie Endowment, Author of ILLICIT

      ANDREW NATSIOS
      Georgetown, Former Special Envoy to Sudan

      NILMINI RUBIN
      Senate Committee on Foreign Relations

      LEIF WENAR
      King’s College London, Clean Trade