Fw: "We Met" For Our High Demand or Cult Recovery Interactive Website Project

    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 9, 2013
      Please see below...hope maybe some of you may be able to help!!

      When I left, David Lane's webpages were just about the only resource on the internet for those leaving ekult.  I've been out since '98-99 so I rarely even think about it any more, but back then I found some very helpful resources on the internet - mostly the late & much-missed Jan Groenveld's website & mailing list.

      I'm happy to see that Colleen is still actively helping former cult members.  I don't think about it much anymore, and I'm busy with the grand & great-grandkids, and just waking up in the morning and getting thru another day.  <gg>

      So, if anyone out there could possibly contribute anything, I know it will be appreciated!!  I don't know how I would have done it without David Lane, Jan Groenveld, and a few others who saw what was happening as I left the cult very publicly on alt.religion.eckankar, and wrote to me and helped me so much.

      I don't even think about it too often anymore, but it still gives me the creeps when I do, and when I think about poor innocent people who might be sucked in by ekult's bullshit.  I get really creeped out, every so often I'll see a TV ad for ekult - hopefully they're losing money on those ads!!!!!

      Anyway, my best wishes to everyone!!

      Love & Hugs,

      Sharon

      On Sunday, December 8, 2013 7:12 PM, Colleen Russell <crussellmft@...> wrote:

      Season’s Greetings, Sharon…

      Candace O’Bryan, a bright accomplished and genuine person who was raised in a high demand group, asked for my help with an interactive website project targeting former members, those raised in high demand groups or cults, and families of someone currently involved.  She will complete it for her Master’s thesis.  As we go forward with this project, I wanted to see if you are interested in contributing any ideas or writing for it.  We would be grateful for any help you can offer.

      Regards,
      Colleen

      Colleen Russell, LMFT, CGP
      San Anselmo, San Francisco, Forest Knolls in the SF Bay Area
      Working with individuals, couples, families, and groups
      415-785-3513

      Inline image 1

    • Pete Chown
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 10, 2013
        Hi Sharon,

        I don't think I'd be able to contribute much to the website, but I would
        like to see it when it's done, and...

        > I get really creeped out, every so
        > often I'll see a TV ad for ekult - hopefully they're losing money on
        > those ads!!!!!

        I've been wondering what happens when a cult has money but very few
        members. Perhaps that's the case with Eckankar these days. They have
        money left over from 'better' times, but most of the members have left.
        In that case I suppose the logical thing is to spend the money on a
        marketing campaign.

        I think Scientology could find itself in the same position. They seem
        to have a lot of assets and a core group of committed members, but are
        there a lot of new people joining? It's hard to know from the outside
        but I get the impression that there aren't. I've heard a lot about
        things Scientology do, but I haven't heard about anyone actually joining
        for a long time!

        Pete
      • etznab18
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 10, 2013
          I've thought about writing to The History Channel (or something along
          those lines) and suggest they do a documentary on Eckankar. I think
          this would be helpful to let more people know the story.

          I don't think I'd be able to contribute much to the website, but I
          would
          like to see it when it's done, and...

          > I get really creeped out, every so
          > often I'll see a TV ad for ekult - hopefully they're losing money
          on
          > those ads!!!!!

          I've been wondering what happens when a cult has money but very few
          members. Perhaps that's the case with Eckankar these days. They have
          money left over from 'better' times, but most of the members have left.
          In that case I suppose the logical thing is to spend the money on a
          marketing campaign.

          I think Scientology could find itself in the same position. They seem
          to have a lot of assets and a core group of committed members, but are
          there a lot of new people joining? It's hard to know from the outside
          but I get the impression that there aren't. I've heard a lot about
          things Scientology do, but I haven't heard about anyone actually
          joining
          for a long time!

          Pete
        • brighttigress
          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 31, 2013

            Some years back I was contacted by one of the daytime talk shows - seems to me it was Maury Povich but I'm not sure - they asked me a few questions but first of all there was no way I'd be on TV, and I couldn't think about anything that "exciting" in terms of cultic abuse, couldn't think exactly what to say about those "inner" deceptions and the subtle damage it does, since I didn't experience what many others have, like losing their whole families.  I didn't even think to offer to check with other exies.  I was also contacted once by the John Ankerberg program, and another smaller group I don't remember except they didn't have their own hair & makeup artists.  <gg>

            Anyway, I was just thinking....if anyone's interested, they could write up some kind of presentation letter and send it to various TV shows or whatever - there have been a few recent things on TV about Scientology, I try to always memtion that ekult is a Scientology offshoot.

            Sometimes, from my perspective of just a plain ordinary grammy & human being, I'll think back on those distant cult years and think OMG I was *such* an idiot!!!   But, I was sincere, I believed, and heck I even took to heart Twitchell's "infiltrate" orders....and since my son was basically grown, I wanted to somehow be a fulltime "vahana" and focus my whole life on spreading the word. <shudder>  Yeah...seriously...ekult was truly "life itself" to me.  And if someone wasn't interested (which they weren't) I consoled myself with what the Twitchster or Harji-har-har had written, that if not in this lifetime, our efforts could pay off in a future incarnation because everyone eventually ended up at the feet of "the master".

            I'm so thankful that somehow, I was able to wake up and get out.  There are people out there who've spent their whole lives in the cult, and signed over everything - their heart, mind, soul - and any bank accounts!!!!  How very sad.  But somehow, that ekult b.s. really grabs on to some people and they won't let go.  Some people evidently need it for whatever reason....okay, I'm not as articulate as I used to be on the subject, but I know with myself, the reasons that got me into the cult and kept me there for so long were things inside myself that weren't quite "right" not balanced, etc., - you know, all that stuff from childhood & life that makes us who & what we are.  But, I learned that can be changed!!!!

            Okay, the boys are busy with some video game but my granddaughter (almost 2) wants to color.  She's at such a perfect age - why do they have to grow????

            Happy holidays & best wishes for a fantastic 2014!!