Fw: Are you interested in educational programs for youth on cults and related topics?

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 24, 2013

      --- On Sun, 2/24/13, Michael Langone <icsamlangone@...> wrote:

      From: Michael Langone <icsamlangone@...>
      Subject: [icsa-info:55] [ICSAMail:66] Are you interested in educational programs for youth on cults and related topics?
      To: "International Cultic Studies Assoc." <mailing@...>
      Date: Sunday, February 24, 2013, 10:03 AM

      My name is Piotr Nowakowski, Assistant Professor at The John Paul II
      Catholic University of Lublin in Poland.

      I am trying to find out who in the ICSA network has developed
      educational programs for youth on cults and related topics.  If
      possible, I would like to assemble an online collection of resources
      to prepare for a pre-conference workshop at the upcoming ICSA Annual
      Conference in Trieste, Italy (July 4-6, 2013; pre-conference events on
      July 3rd).  Even if you cannot make the conference, I am interested in
      receiving materials from you (e.g., curricula, Power Point
      presentations) and finding out if you would like to participate in
      post-conference discussions on this subject.

      Here is an abstract of the pre-conference workshop:

      Pre-conference workshop on educating youth about cults

      Piotr T. Nowakowski, Facilitator

      A number of individuals within the ICSA network have taught courses or
      given public talks on cults, psychological manipulation, and related
      topics.  A small group of these persons met during the 2012 Montreal
      conference to discuss their work.  This three-hour workshop will
      expand upon the Montreal meeting by inviting Trieste attendees who
      have conducted such educational programs for youth to exchange notes
      and consider strategies for collective action in this area.  If you
      are interested in participating, please send background information to
      me (Nowakowski@...).  If practical, please attach curricula,
      outlines, etc.  With participants’ permission, of course, I will
      create an online resource collection that workshop participants can
      consult before the conference.  During the workshop we can discuss
      core questions, such as:

      •    What content should all cult educational programs, courses as well
      as one-time talks, include?
      •    What variations in content and approach should one make for
      different audiences, e.g., high school, college?
      •    What factors should educators consider in order to ensure that their
      programs are balanced and professional?
      •    How can those interested in this area maintain collegial
      communication after the conference, e.g., chat room, list serve?

      I look forward to hearing from you and hope that you can make the
      conference and workshop (Nowakowski@...).

      Regards,

      Piotr Nowakowski, PhD

      Add noreply@... to your safe mail filters