Re: newbie

    Message 1 of 15 , Feb 7, 2013
      Hi Sharon,
      You know I love you and I'm only kidding! We've had a cyber-relationship for over 15 years and only met twice in person but it's been quite a ride through the halls of a.r.e. and Eckankartruth, hasn't it? I was just reading my 2006 response to the "newbie" about being married and having kids and a house and all the finer things in life. Jeez, how much has changed since then! Not that karma has caught up with me but as John Lennon said "Life is what happens while you're making other plans". One of those "beautiful daughters" is getting married next year and called me up the other night to ask me if I would sing her first song as "husband and wife." I was very touched by that! She wants her old "grumpy" dad to sing her first song!
      The house is sold and the marriage is over but it's all still good. As you know I still have the music and we are still playing! It's been over 40 years on the road and I don't see an end to it until I go six feet under.
      Regarding Eckankar. I've been thinking about something I haven't dare say for a long time. You know we talk about the controlling aspects of this so called cult and how we suffer consequences if we leave the path. In all truth, the reason it is still around is because people allow themselves to be taken in by it. I am finally coming out of the closet on this perception. I was afraid to say anything for a long time lest I offend my ex-Eck compatriots.
      At some point we did choose to join and was it because we wanted to know the secrets of the Universe? I highly doubt it. I think everyone has a secret desire to belong. Isolation is our worst enemy and sometimes we go to great lengths to avoid it (otherwise we wallow in it). Eckankar provides that false sense of security that we are part of an elite club of followers with a common desire to interact. That need to love and be loved is universal. Some join bowling leagues, knitting clubs, softball teams for paunchy middle-aged men and some join bands to capture the good old days of youth. Unfortunately, the problem is not inherent in Eckankar itself. The problem is us. As long as there are followers, it WILL exist. Why do we get tangled up with these organizations?
      I believe there is something missing in our lives. We sometimes don't feel entirely like members of the human race and need something to soothe the pain of isolation and loneliness. It is like alcohol. It takes over like a rapacious creditor and before you know it, once the man takes the drink, the drink takes the man. Eckankar is like alcohol. You take the first "drink" or "discourse" and now you are on your journey to a "fulfilled" life. What we don't realize is that the path is full of lies and deceptions but it does for a while make you feel strong, confident and self-righteous. As time goes on, you progressively rise to the ranks of HI and become more involved. It consumes you and then ironically puts you back in isolation. Hard core Eckists look at the world through blue-colored glasses. Everything is all about the light and sound as taught by Harold. We fall for it because we were told to believe it was the answer to all our questions and problems BUT we end up not asking too many questions. We need that dose of HU every day until it doesn't work anymore. We fall for it because we are unfulfilled to begin with.
      So now we wonder why, although WE have left the path yet there are still Eckists out there. Well that's simple. Like alcoholics, they are hopelessly in denial. This is where I take a slight turn on the god thing. I wouldn't encourage anyone to become Catholic or JW in lieu of Eckankar but you need to be able to have choices in life and your spiritual health is contingent on being rigorously honest with yourself. A god of your own understanding is all you need. Just simply praying and meditating is sufficient to put you in touch with your higher power what ever that might be. We don't need monthly discourses, conventions or yearly dues to achieve this but we DID IT because we are children in the wilderness looking for comfort and solace in an indifferent and crazy world. Eckists need the Temple in Chanhassen and the yearly seminars to look forward to meeting other "Eckaholics".
      You've seen first hand the revenge of Eckists on a.r.e. They've called my mother to find my phone number and one guy in Australia found out where I worked and threatened to call my boss and let him know about my shenanigans on the newsgroup. They've constructed websites with pictures of me with little red devils poking me with pitchforks. They'd gone to great lengths to silence me because I was too close to their lies. Is this the work of peace-loving god-worshipping folks? They were still angry and fearful children who hadn't truly found peace within themselves. They acted according to their base instincts and ignored the so-called teachings of ECK which were vapid and useless to begin with. They were "drunk" with power prestige and self-righteous. Strength in numbers as they say. I finally got to meet an Eckist one-on-one (David Barnes). He was a member of a.r.e. and was one of those vindictive people who wanted to bury me. When I finally got to talk with him one day, he was just a regular guy with the same problems as any normal person. There was nothing special about him and he even admittedly questioned his own faith in a path he could not quite understand. I felt sorry for him in a way. Anyway, this is getting long winded and possibly repetitive so I just wanted to put out there that we are in charge of our own life and choices. It may be a hard pill to swallow but WE were the ones who allowed ouselves to get duped by Eckankar. We have to recognize OUR role in it and leave them alone. It is in the past and I hardly ever think about it until I see this forum in my bookmarks. So Ciao and cheers to everyone!

      Message 2 of 15 , Feb 8, 2013
        Hi Everyone -

        First of all, it seems I'm not getting either individual emails or "daily digests" from ET like I should be, and probably haven't been for months. I don't miss them, rarely give ekult or ET a thought except when I get an email requiring me to approve a new membership or someone's posting privileges.

        So, it looks like I'm going to have to start checking here at the website every so often.

        I've got tons of old eckstuff going back to Day One - like Twitch's original mimeographed discourses. I have to get my scanner hooked up and start getting it all on the internet, because that's what I promised people who sent me stuff.

        My mother joined the JWs when I was around 9-10. I believed it all - but just didn't "get it", and was disgusted with a "god" like that. Back then, Armageddon was absolutely definitely going to happen in the mid-80's. As we know, it didn't - so I don't know how they all dealt with the change, but it's like ekult - cult members will beileve any kind of nonsense, even if it reverses itself from one day to the next.

        I was especially disgusted that "god" would kill my innocent children because of me. Their "elders" told me to just get baptized, go to the meetings, go door to door etc., even if I didn't "feel" it. That just didn't seem honest, you know?

        Gotta laugh, the "Paradise" book was pretty graphic, I asked about all the dead bodies after Armageddon, and wouldn't it stink to high heaven? They told me don't worry, the wild animals would eat the dead bodies.

        Anyway, I'm 99% sure that the JWs have to pay for all the books & magazines, then get their money back when they sold them to people. A few years back I read that France had or was going to declare them a business and start taxing them, because evidently there's a lot of money coming in from their publications.

        Oh, some years back I called ekult's 800 number just out of curiousity - and they told me if was a call center that took calls from many different companies. A few years later I called it again, and it sounded like they'd switched to a cheap answering machine at cult headquarters.. I totally forget which shows I saw the ads on, but they were on in the wee hours, like 2 am, might've been some kind of alien or Bigfoot-type programs. They're the kind of shows I turn on to put me to sleep. I'm sure advertising at that time and on those shows doesn't cost much - and they probably do mke a profit from them.

        A few years ago I was curious so filled out something on a Scientology website requesting information, I was quite surprised, I got a few very short emails & that's it, I think they may have just given me some contact info or something. Oh - but back in 1970 I was accosted on the street in Manhattan by a very pushy guy who wouldn't leave me alone until I bought "Dianetics", which I didn't mind because I read a lot, and liked big books. I did a lot of my reading in the bathtub, generally I'd read books cover-to-cover unless they were really awful, well this one was *really* bad so I'd only read it in the bathtub, maybe I'd suffered thru about half of it, and I'll tell ya, I was SO happy when I dropped it in the tub so I didn't have to read it anymore! I just remember it was stupid and boring.

        Aaarrgghh - enough of this, I am *so* not interested in ekult anymore that it's hard work, and makes me feel like I need a nice hot shower, or like I've eaten something spoiled and need to go upchuck & get it out of my system!

        So, gotta take a break, will respond to other posts later.

        Oh - anyone here in the US on the east coast where Nemo's going to hit, please go outside & turn fans on, whatever, and blow the storm my way to central PA!!!! We'll probably end up with a pitiful 2" or something. <sigh>

        --- In eckankartruth@yahoogroups.com, Pete Chown wrote:

        > Hi Sharon,>
        > > Oh - there's a whole set on Ebay, let me check....nope, the discourses I
        > > saw there recently aren't on sale anymore. I'll watch eckstuff
        > > sometimes, no one buys it. Have to laugh, the "newbie freebie" book is
        > > always listed for sale ...
        >
        > LOL, you can also have the Jehovah's Witness freebie book for 99p.
        > What's a bit scary is that someone is selling a leather cover for the
        > stupid thing. Do people revere it so much that they want to buy it a
        > special leather home?
        >
        > The Witnesses have a tax dodge where they say that their books are given
        > away rather than sold. They hint that the person who takes the book
        > from the Kingdom Hall could make a donation to cover the cost. I've
        > always wondered what would happen if someone went to a Kingdom Hall and
        > took armloads of books to sell, without making a donation. If it turns
        > out that this isn't allowed, the tax authorities might be interested.
        >
        > Funnily enough my 'proper' JW stuff -- the books from the 1920s and
        > earlier -- is going up in value. I've got several editions of the Harp
        > of God that I paid about £5 each for. Now they seem to be selling for
        > about £20, so I'm holding on to them in case they go up further!
        >
        > > I've seen a few TV ads for ekult recently, late at night, I forget on
        > > which shows.
        >
        > I'm surprised that works for a cult like Eckankar, that doesn't have
        > many members. If someone watches the advert and wants to get in touch
        > with other Eckankar members, presumably that wouldn't be possible unless
        > they live in a big city. Or is the idea that they just pay money and
        > practise Eckankar on their own?
        >
        > I'd quite like to pay the Scientologists a visit, but I have the same
        > problem. They don't have many members either, so it would be a hundred
        > mile trip. Curiosity isn't worth that much!
        >
        > Pete

      • execkist12345
        Message 3 of 15 , Mar 12, 2013
          In response to Jay's inquiry, I too want to weigh in....You are right to be wary, and correct that Eckankar uses fear to keep it's members. I was a member for over 10 years until I realized the whole thing was a hoax and a cult. They use systematic mind control and fear tactics, and another Eckist I loved suffered terrible feelings of betrayal when he also realized Eckankar was nothing more than another cult. I left, and my life only IMPROVED. I wasn't as invested emotionally and psychologically as others. I kept a skeptical detachment from the leader, and I was lucky. There are other ways to explore spiritual truths and grow spiritually. As many ways, and as many paths as there are people.