Oh No! Eckankar made it to the movies!

  • prometheus_973
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 27, 2010
      Hello All,
      There were two things that I found
      interesting with the story line. One,
      is that this guy "Stone" (Ed Norton)
      finds Eckankar in prison and thinks
      it's cool that Eckankar believes that
      we all start out as "stones." Hence,
      the name he gives himself. Of course
      that's not quite right since Eckists
      actually believe that we start out as
      Soul. But there is that mineral state
      of con that is talked about early on.
      I always thought it was a stretch
      of the imagination (B.S.) since what
      would be the purpose of being a rock
      after a few hours let alone centuries?
      Perhaps this story is a way to explain
      away why Gakko came here 6 million
      years ago. He was communicating with
      stones via the mineral state of consciousness!

      Another thing that stands out is Stone's
      girlfriend is talking about how dangerous
      microwaves and cellphones are and using
      magnet therapy to rid people of toxins.
      This sounds like some of Klemp's nutty
      talk about harmful EMR/EMF waves in the
      air!

      Then there's that Sound and Light
      thing that Twitchell "borrowed" from
      Sant Mat.

      Of course Stone doesn't quite understand
      how one makes it to the next "level"
      in Eckankar. It doesn't happen on
      your own and it requires money and
      a membership card. Leveling up is
      the "initiation" process. It seems like
      Stone is showing Eckists that they
      don't need a LEM or a Mahanta to
      become a spiritual "traveler."

      It's also interesting to read that
      Stone develops a much more
      subdued personality. Eckists are
      like that too... zoned out zombies
      who are always smiling (well, at
      seminars anyway). It's taking a
      matter-of-fact karmic attitude
      towards life.

      I will have to say that religion can
      unlock feelings and insights that
      might never have been discovered
      otherwise, but then we can let it
      go. When the dogma begins to limit
      us and what we can say and believe
      then it's time to walk away... you've
      learned all you need from that path.

      ************************************
      Eckankar and the LEM (Arnold) will
      be mentioned in the movie "Stone."

      Here's a site that has a review...

      http://smellslikescreenspirit.com/2010/10/stone-review-2/

      http://www.badassdigest.com/2010/11/08/one-of-the-best-science-fiction-films-thi\
      \
      s-year-is-stone

      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xz42ekTrx7o

      I wonder who the ECKist is that got their "message" out?

      Here's more in the review of the movie:

      "Dialogue and story points. Edward Norton plays Stone, a prisoner who's been in
      the clink for eight years for helping in the murder of his grandparents. In his
      initial meeting with Jack he pleads to be put on parole so he can be with his
      wife, Lucetta (Jovovich), who has been helping prepare his post-prison life.
      When Jack asks about Stone's wife, Stone replies "She's an alien. An alien man."

      Stone is feeling uneasy, rightfully so, about his chances getting parole and
      decides to send Lucetta on a mission to seduce Jack. As she begins to ingratiate
      herself into Jack's world, Lucetta initiates a bit of small talk with him by
      brining up the idea of magnet therapy and how it helps rid people of toxins:
      "It's all the microwaves and cell phones – everything going through the air that
      we can't see." Um, science fiction much?

      Eckankar: Experience the Sound and Light of God. While Stone waits to hear if
      his blackmailing plan is successful he bides his time looking for a way to ease
      his mind. First, he tries reading about Christianity, but when that proves
      uninspiring he discovers a pamphlet on a New Age-esque religion based on a real
      world religion called Eckankar. The idea behind it is that we can connect with
      God through sound and light. Suddenly, Stone is enamored by the idea and slowly
      begins to change into a much more subdued personality.

      The other component to the religion is the idea that everyone starts off as
      stones and have to work their way up to become human beings. To me, this
      solidifies the idea of Norton's character as being some sort of traveller, not a
      vagabond in the basic sense, but in the extraterrestrial sense. He knows and
      feels that he has another purpose, a bigger purpose and this strange religion
      has somehow unlocked it.

      It isn't just this one concept that brings him to his ultimate epiphany, however
      it's his witnessing of a fellow prisoner dying infront of his eyes that finally
      makes Stone feel like he has succeeded in working his way up to the "next
      level." Stone looks into the dying man's eyes and as his life expires Stone
      suddenly flinches back as if something had been transferred between the two.
      Your typical prison shanking scene it is not.

      It's about Religion. Sure, taking any of the elements above on their own could
      define the movie as being about one man's discovery of religion and becoming
      born again. However director John Curran deftly mixes all these elements into
      something that looks, sounds, and feels like science fiction. Take Scientology,
      it's nothing other then a science fiction creation wrapped within the notion of
      God. Or the idea of The Force in Star Wars (with its proper noun capitalization
      and all) that turns the basis of religion into science fiction with Obi Wan as
      its Pope and Yoda as its Jesus.

      There's many more levels to this, but I'll let this sit with you for now until I
      watch it again. Seriously, there's a lot of stuff going on in Stone and I'm just
      starting to uncover the layers. All I know is that it out incepted Inception
      which makes it one of the best science fiction films of the year so far.

      May the Eckankar be with you."
    • harrisonferrel
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 14, 2010
        I'd encourage everybody on this board to write a review of eckankar. Mine is up there now, unless of course it's removed by the time you read this. It's a great opportunity to lambaste our favorite cult on a public forum.