Re: Why they're so strange

  • jonathanjohns96
    Message 1 of 26 , Sep 25, 2010
      Tom,

      A few brief summarizing comments.

      I do agree that Eckists exhibit cult-like thinking. I saw it all the time when I was posting over at a.r.e a few weeks ago. I also saw it in Eckankar when I was a member, but I didn't see it as cult-like at that time because I was a member and I didn't wish to see Eckankar as a cult. Probably because I couldn't handle that particular truth at that time.

      The biggest issue as I see it is that they can be extremely dogmatic. In other words that have an attitude of "I am right and nobody else's opinion matters." When they get to be that severe in their thinking then they are exhibiting cult-like behavior.

      Your contention is that this "holier than thou" attitude is programmed into them by Eckankar. I agree, but I still think that they are partially responsible. After all, the truth about Eckankar's lies and curses is all over the Internet. And the really disturbing thing is when these people read it, they somehow manage to disregard it. In my opinion, this indicates an even worse cult-like behavior than their holier than thou attitude. When faced with the truth, they ignore it. That is VERY disturbing. And I will readily admit that it took me ten years to finally leave Eckankar after first seeing some of the signs that something was amiss. So I know how difficult it is to face the truth.

      So, Tom, I don't agree with all the details of what you wrote, especially the two psychologists' view of things, but I agree with your general position and conclusions. In fact, I would like to see more well-thought out essays such as the one you wrote.

      Jonathan
    • David Osborn
      Message 2 of 26 , Oct 1, 2010
        Yeah, ten years might be a very common, or the most common, general time frame for the time between when you first feel that something is amiss and the time you finally leave.  That seems to be about the time frame that it was in my case.  In my case, although I did have that "ah-hah" moment when I saw clear as day that it was nothing but an empty initiation game, I still had quite a period of hemming and hawing - for me, I missed the camaraderie and the social contacts.  Unlike many of you, who seem to have actively come to your decision and left, I kind of slowly and passively drifted out over a period of years.  You might say that it was a process of gradual estrangement.  It was only after I had heard the administrators at headquarters mindlessly repeat the "you can still keep your initiations if you get back in before your five year grace period expires", when I had repeatedly told them that I wanted to go back to the beginning and do all my initiations over and get them right this time, that I finally saw that the situation was hopeless, and that nothing more could be done.  And then I just shrugged my shoulders and gave up trying to get back in.
                                                             David

[...]

        <*> Your email settings:
            Individual Email | Traditional

        <*> To change settings online go to: