Eckankar is its own enemy

  • Eleven
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 10, 2001
      This is something about the age-old master/student thing that I learned from the cult experience of eckankar.

      First, just to explain, I believe the master/student relationship is spiritually valid. There are excellent reasons why men and women have always turned to "spiritual masters". It's a contrived, in fact entirely made-up, relationship that's designed to allow a person to approximate what interaction with God might be like. It's all about two human beings, in an utterly unique relationship with each other, taking a role and acting as if.

      When a student's heart moves hir finally to accept a spiritual teacher; to open hir consciousness and being to that teacher, the student is beginning a relationship that is deeper than what most of us think of as love. It sounds like mystical double-talk, but the simple reason why this is true, is actually one of the secrets.

      The relationship of the student and the master is primarily one of trust. The master in all hir flawed humanity, promises to be hirself completely; to respond genuinely to whatever hir perception and sensibilities might reveal for the student. The student in turn promises to receive and respond to all that the master gives as if it were the direct dealing of God with hir soul. In no other way can two human beings bring down into the world so boldly and exquisitely a reflection of that primary relationship of God with creation. Both the master and the student can be either anointed or destroyed by the process. That's because the relationship is based first in imagination which blossoms into belief, and only in the final stages, becomes a form of truth. And this must not be interfered with anywhere along the way. Short of the final stage, it is nothing but controlled delusion.

      Ironically, what's necessary for this spirituality to unfold, is one of the main things that the cult of eckankar denies in countless unconscious and tacit ways--the relationship of the student with the chosen teacher. In eckankar, the blind manipulative forces of social hierarchy, politics, and personal ambition supercedes that primary relationship in the psyche of the student. Most of them can barely even tell the difference. Officials, policies, cabals, toadies and hierophants have collectively assumed the spiritual function of the master--by sheer force of presumption.

      The relationship of the teacher with the student is fragile, but deep, because it's difficult for most people to see themselves or the other as if everything they did were the actions of God. And so it requires dedicated attention and practice. The purpose of a path teaching is to provide an environment in which this ritual can safely play out.

      Sustaining that relationship for years is usually necessary because it takes time for what we imagine, to become true. It takes time for the one playing the teacher to get the other to recognize God through all the ego the world has contributed to their psyche. But it also requires the unwavering trust that any student must practice when learning from a teacher--whatever the teacher's mastery may be. It takes real, actual, in-the-body relationship for each to render the other translucent--and in time, entirely invisible to one another. No substitutes are necessary or possible, no matter who the surrogates think they are.

      Rhetoric about inner relationship is nothing but hand waving and misdirection from the point of this.

      The process takes place in both the student and the teacher; whether the teacher has a single student or ten thousand--and it requires extreme care by all. It must not be interfered with or assumed by any hierarchy or person not freely chosen by the student. One becomes the actions of God upon the other, and so both must consciously agree to it; be able to pay attention completely, and be free to respond genuinely to it in their lives and expression.

      Anything else is slavery.

      Most eckankarists wouldn't get what this post is really about, but they'd try to agree with some of it anyway.

      In eckankar, it's the exalted tinkerers, meddlers and defenders that have the most to learn. At this point, they may just have to watch eckankar unravel in order to finally get it. But as they always like to say, "It ain't easy being green."

      Mick 3/10/01

    • tarryrob@yahoo.ca
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 11, 2001
        -Dear Mick:
        Thanks for your insight on the master/student relationship. I suppose
        this relationship could be a profound experience in the hands of some
        legitimate spiritual teacher or movement - but not in eckankar! I
        joined a couple of years before Darwin stepped down. I can remember
        having all kinds of problems trying to accept Harold. The combination
        of doubt about the new master combined with trying to accomodate a
        billion various spiritual excercises, daily dream logs, iniatiate
        reports, other eck adepts to study under, centre responsibilities et
        al....made it almost impossible for me to nuture a relationship such
        as you described. In retrospect, the fact that I never totally
        bought the Harold/Darwin transition was probably more of a blessing
        than a curse. It made leaving less traumatic. Still, your eloquent
        description of how a master/student relationship ought to be left me
        feeling sad - sad that cults like eckankar take things which have
        spiritual beauty and corrupt it to their own ends.

        tarryrob