Workshop for Former Members and Adult Children of Cults

  • Colleen Russell, LMFT
    Message 1 of 2 , May 6, 2010
      Facilitators: Janja Lalich, Ph.D., former cult member & author of Take Back Your Life and Bounded Choice, & Colleen Russell, L.M.F.T., C.G.P., former cult member, private psychotherapy practice.

      Sunday, June 27, 2010 ◙ 1:00 – 5:00 p.m.
      Mill Valley, CA (in the SF Bay Area)

      This is an opportunity to meet and participate with other former members of cults or high-demand groups. Our goal is to provide a safe, respectful environment in which participants may gain increased understanding of their cult experience as well as support for post-cult issues relevant to those in attendance. This workshop will be educational and interactive. While it is not a therapy group, it may be therapeutic.

      After brief introductions, Dr. Lalich will review how a person becomes a "true believer" through indoctrination (socialization or resocialization) aimed at behavioral, attitude, and belief change. She will also explain how to use her "bounded choice" model as a framework for increased understanding of one's personal experiences and determining strategies for "moving on." Ms. Russell will then present on disconfirmation of inaccurate and self-limiting beliefs internalized through the group's thought-reform processes. An open discussion segment with questions and comments will follow each presentation.

      Next, the focus will be on specific issues raised by participants. These may include issues related to relationships; self-esteem; developing a new sense of self; negotiating through anxieties, anger, depression, and posttraumatic stress reactions; reaching goals; learning more adaptive coping skills, such as healthy boundaries, communication, trusting self, and learning to say "no."

      We will end with a wrap-up of participants' and facilitators' responses to the workshop.

      Please contact Colleen Russell, L.M.F.T., C.G.P. at crussellmft@... if interested.
    • Colleen Russell, LMFT
      Message 2 of 2 , May 9, 2010
        Hello All...
        My response to having been a "7th initiate" in Eckankar is to offer professional help to other former members of cults and high-demand groups in my psychotherapy practice and specialization in cult recovery. We all find our own way after Eckankar. It's an extremely satisfying process to meet with former members who feel understood as they are taking back their lives and recovering from traumatic experience in cults. I wish all of you former Eckankar members well in your post-Eckankar lives. And for those of you who are mothers like me, I hope you enjoy yourselves on this Mother's Day.

        Regards,
        Colleen