Eckankar?

    Message 1 of 12 , Feb 5, 2010
      Harold's been at the helm for a number of years in Eckankar. How old is he now? Is the organization making any money? Are the number of members dwindling, growing, steady?
      I was involved as a member for about a year back in 1985 and then lost interest because questions always hit a brick wall. As I come to find, questions are frowned upon and if you don't follow the party line, you're out of the "winning circle".
      This religion demands too much of their followers and requires a completely unreasonable surrender and suspension of reality to absorb and assimilate it's absurd brand of spiritual life. Eckankar is self serving and adjusts itself periodically to promote membership.
      Once in a while I check out the newsgroup a.r.e. or the official website. It all seems now what I always figured it to be; a cleverly disguised lie perpetuated by greed and deception. Klemp is still spouting his enormously banal banterings at seminars and the same diehard followers are yakking away like yellow matter custard dripping from a dead man's path.
      I'm not surprised. Every village has an idiot.

      Wheezer
    • avonblue1212
      Message 2 of 12 , Feb 5, 2010
        Wheezer,

        I don't know the answers to the questions you raise in the first paragraph but for someone who was in eck only a year it sounds like you got their m.o. down pat.

        AB

        --- In eckankartruth@yahoogroups.com, al_radzik <no_reply@...> wrote:

        > Harold's been at the helm for a number of years in Eckankar. How old is he now? Is the organization making any money? Are the number of members dwindling, growing, steady?
        > I was involved as a member for about a year back in 1985 and then lost interest because questions always hit a brick wall. As I come to find, questions are frowned upon and if you don't follow the party line, you're out of the "winning circle".
        > This religion demands too much of their followers and requires a completely unreasonable surrender and suspension of reality to absorb and assimilate it's absurd brand of spiritual life. Eckankar is self serving and adjusts itself periodically to promote membership.
        > Once in a while I check out the newsgroup a.r.e. or the official website. It all seems now what I always figured it to be; a cleverly disguised lie perpetuated by greed and deception. Klemp is still spouting his enormously banal banterings at seminars and the same diehard followers are yakking away like yellow matter custard dripping from a dead man's path.
        > I'm not surprised. Every village has an idiot.
        >
        > Wheezer

      • David Osborn
        Message 3 of 12 , Feb 5, 2010
          Dear EckankarTruth,
               I am a former Eckist.  I left Eckankar because it just seemed like an initiation racket for one thing.  And, I was puzzled and upset by the Harold Klemp takeover, and the period of two masters - Sri Darwin and Sri Harold.
               My immediate reason for joining this group was a burning curiosity to find out exactly how many Eckankar offshoots or spinoff groups there were.  If you're going to start a new spiritual group, the easiest thing to do seems to be to start a new Eckankar spinoff group!
                                                            Sincerely,
                                                                panfluteman2000

          I don't know the answers to the questions you raise in the first paragraph but for someone who was in eck only a year it sounds like you got their m.o. down pat.

          AB

          --- In eckankartruth@yahoogroups.com, al_radzik <no_reply@...> wrote:

          > Harold's been at the helm for a number of years in Eckankar. How old is he now? Is the organization making any money? Are the number of members dwindling, growing, steady?
          > I was involved as a member for about a year back in 1985 and then lost interest because questions always hit a brick wall. As I come to find, questions are frowned upon and if you don't follow the party line, you're out of the "winning circle".
          > This religion demands too much of their followers and requires a completely unreasonable surrender and suspension of reality to absorb and assimilate it's absurd brand of spiritual life. Eckankar is self serving and adjusts itself periodically to promote membership.
          > Once in a while I check out the newsgroup a.r.e. or the official website. It all seems now what I always figured it to be; a cleverly disguised lie perpetuated by greed and deception. Klemp is still spouting his enormously banal banterings at seminars and the same diehard followers are yakking away like yellow matter custard dripping from a dead man's path.
          > I'm not surprised. Every village has an idiot.
          >
          > Wheezer

          <*> Your email settings:
              Individual Email | Traditional

          <*> To change settings online go to:
              (Yahoo! ID required)

          <*> To change settings via email:
              eckankartruth-digest@yahoogroups.com
              eckankartruth-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

              http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        • salcedo_marianne
          Message 4 of 12 , Feb 5, 2010
            Panfluteman2000,

            Many writers copy other writers; styles and processes while they are learning or just to save time. Perhaps that was Twitchell's thing--he started copying other religious and cult founders, and discovered the formula for making a killing as a new age guru. Did he believe what he copied or wrote? I think he liked the ideas and was drawn to them, but being a poor god seeker sucks, and he cashed in on the 1960s-1970s mass attraction to alternative religious paths.

            For the few years that I was a member, I saw the formula for making money--the process to keeping paying chelas, but I purposely suspended my disbelief because it was the thing to do. But I got it and still do. I am not surprised that there are so many Eck spin-offs because this model is so transparent. Like takin' candy from babys--not nice, but oh so lucrative!

            I do think Eck jumped the shark with H.K. What a sad mahanta he is! Not at all inspiring!

            --- In eckankartruth@yahoogroups.com, David Osborn <panfluteman2000@...> wrote:

            > Dear EckankarTruth,
            >      I am a former Eckist.  I left Eckankar because it just seemed like an initiation racket for one thing.  And, I was puzzled and upset by the Harold Klemp takeover, and the period of two masters - Sri Darwin and Sri Harold.
            >      My immediate reason for joining this group was a burning curiosity to find out exactly how many Eckankar offshoots or spinoff groups there were.  If you're going to start a new spiritual group, the easiest thing to do seems to be to start a new Eckankar spinoff group!
            >                                                   Sincerely,
            >                                                       panfluteman2000

          • salcedo_marianne
            Message 5 of 12 , Feb 5, 2010
              Panfluteman2000,

              Many writers copy other writers; styles and processes while they are learning or just to save time. Perhaps that was Twitchell's thing--he started copying other religious and cult founders, and discovered the formula for making a killing as a new age guru. Did he believe what he copied or wrote? I think he liked the ideas and was drawn to them, but being a poor god seeker sucks, and he cashed in on the 1960s-1970s mass attraction to alternative religious paths.

              For the few years that I was a member, I saw the formula for making money--the process to keeping paying chelas, but I purposely suspended my disbelief because it was the thing to do. But I got it and still do. I am not surprised that there are so many Eck spin-offs because this model is so transparent. Like takin' candy from babys--not nice, but oh so lucrative!

              I do think Eck jumped the shark with H.K. What a sad mahanta he is! Not at all inspiring!

              --- In eckankartruth@yahoogroups.com, David Osborn <panfluteman2000@...> wrote:

              > Dear EckankarTruth,
              >      I am a former Eckist.  I left Eckankar because it just seemed like an initiation racket for one thing.  And, I was puzzled and upset by the Harold Klemp takeover, and the period of two masters - Sri Darwin and Sri Harold.
              >      My immediate reason for joining this group was a burning curiosity to find out exactly how many Eckankar offshoots or spinoff groups there were.  If you're going to start a new spiritual group, the easiest thing to do seems to be to start a new Eckankar spinoff group!
              >                                                   Sincerely,
              >                                                       panfluteman2000

            • David Osborn
              Message 6 of 12 , Feb 5, 2010
                Dear Marianne,
                     Oh yeah, I discovered Twitchellian plagiarism when I first started reading Julian Johnson's Path of the Masters and saw that Paul Twitchell had lifted many passages straight out of it and put it into Eckankar: Key to Secret Worlds.  That was a shock and a let down, but that isn't what got me to get out.
                     And about the initiation game, it was not the financial side of things and that they were milking chelas for all they were worth; after all, other cults like Scientology are far worse offenders in the financial or money arena.  It was that I felt that I hadn't really gotten what I was supposed to "get" from my third and fourth initiations, and asked headquarters if I could go back to my second initiation and do it all over.  After all, I read that Paul Twitchell himself had told someone who wanted to get initiations faster, "What's the rush?  Soul has been evolving for thousands of years."  But whan I said I wanted to go back to do some initiations over, it was like that just didn't compute with them; it went in one ear and out the other.  And even when I had been delinquent in paying my membership dues for a few years, they were still sending me notices saying that if I came back in to Eckankar membership before the five year deadline, I could still keep all my initiations!  That's when I came to the conclusion that it was nothing more than just an initiation game.  It's how you keep up with the Joneses or get one up on them in Eckankar.
                     But I wonder if anyone has ever sat down to list all the Eckankar spinoff organizations that were out there.
                                                               Blessings,
                                                                   panfluteman2000

                Many writers copy other writers; styles and processes while they are learning or just to save time.  Perhaps that was Twitchell's thing--he started copying other religious and cult founders, and discovered the formula for making a killing as a new age guru.  Did he believe what he copied or wrote?  I think he liked the ideas and was drawn to them, but being a poor god seeker sucks, and he cashed in on the 1960s-1970s mass attraction to alternative religious paths.

                For the few years that I was a member, I saw the formula for making money--the process to keeping paying chelas, but I purposely suspended my disbelief because it was the thing to do.  But I got it and still do.  I am not surprised that there are so many Eck spin-offs because this model is so transparent.  Like takin' candy from babys--not nice, but oh so lucrative!

                I do think Eck jumped the shark with H.K.  What a sad mahanta he is!  Not at all inspiring!

                --- In eckankartruth@yahoogroups.com, David Osborn <panfluteman2000@...> wrote:

                > Dear EckankarTruth,
                >      I am a former Eckist.  I left Eckankar because it just seemed like an initiation racket for one thing.  And, I was puzzled and upset by the Harold Klemp takeover, and the period of two masters - Sri Darwin and Sri Harold.
                >      My immediate reason for joining this group was a burning curiosity to find out exactly how many Eckankar offshoots or spinoff groups there were.  If you're going to start a new spiritual group, the easiest thing to do seems to be to start a new Eckankar spinoff group!
                >                                                   Sincerely,
                >                                                       panfluteman2000

              • Zoey
                Message 7 of 12 , Feb 5, 2010
                  I'm VERY curious about this, Wheezer. I'm very curious to know how eckankar numbers are looking. I can quite easily see how twitchell got the whole thing off the ground, and I can see how it caught on in the 60's and 70's, especially. But I am not understanding how it's hanging on. Eckankar has so much competition now. Spiritual teachers and books are a dime a dozen. Even the Light and Sound Paths are plentiful. And so much "esoteric" information has come into common understanding and vernacular.

                  I cannot believe that eckankar is hanging on. Does anyone have any way of getting some info about that? What about you, prometheus? I can only speak for my local eck center. There is a lot of coming and going over there, with the same 20-30 who have always been around.

                  zoey

                  --- In eckankartruth@yahoogroups.com, al_radzik <no_reply@...> wrote:

                  > Harold's been at the helm for a number of years in Eckankar. How old is he now? Is the organization making any money? Are the number of members dwindling, growing, steady?
                  > I was involved as a member for about a year back in 1985 and then lost interest because questions always hit a brick wall. As I come to find, questions are frowned upon and if you don't follow the party line, you're out of the "winning circle".
                  > This religion demands too much of their followers and requires a completely unreasonable surrender and suspension of reality to absorb and assimilate it's absurd brand of spiritual life. Eckankar is self serving and adjusts itself periodically to promote membership.
                  > Once in a while I check out the newsgroup a.r.e. or the official website. It all seems now what I always figured it to be; a cleverly disguised lie perpetuated by greed and deception. Klemp is still spouting his enormously banal banterings at seminars and the same diehard followers are yakking away like yellow matter custard dripping from a dead man's path.
                  > I'm not surprised. Every village has an idiot.
                  >
                  > Wheezer

                • jonathanjohns96
                  Message 8 of 12 , Feb 6, 2010
                    Zoey,

                    Thank you for your post. I commented on this exact topic awhile ago, and I thank you for bringing up the topic again

                    A little over a year ago on December 18, 2008, my first post on this message board was at 4:09 PM (Yahoo time). My first words were "I resigned from Eckankar yesterday. I am speaking out today." An hour and a half later, at 5:41 PM Yahoo time, I made the post at the link below. It deals with the topic which you have asked about. In this post, I comment that at that time I was constantly seeing the same people at the Eck center who had been going there for the previous 20 to 30 years, but there were very few new members.

                    I'd like to update this by saying there were several people whom I don't know the details about their time period in Eckankar, but they were all well versed in Eckankar stuff so I assume they were members for quite awhile.

                    But I can also count off the top of my head 8 to 12 people who had been the same members from 30 years ago.

                    Also, look at my post again. There is one follow-up post by the message board member whitemoby22. He states that he recently saw the same thing at an Eck center.

                    So, your observation is very correct, and I'm very glad that you contributed your post because it helps to prove that this appears to be a very common phenomenon at Eck centers.

                    Jonathan

                    --- In eckankartruth@yahoogroups.com, "Zoey" <zzoey75@...> wrote:

                    > I'm VERY curious about this, Wheezer. I'm very curious to know how eckankar numbers are looking. I can quite easily see how twitchell got the whole thing off the ground, and I can see how it caught on in the 60's and 70's, especially. But I am not understanding how it's hanging on. Eckankar has so much competition now. Spiritual teachers and books are a dime a dozen. Even the Light and Sound Paths are plentiful. And so much "esoteric" information has come into common understanding and vernacular.
                    >
                    > I cannot believe that eckankar is hanging on. Does anyone have any way of getting some info about that? What about you, prometheus? I can only speak for my local eck center. There is a lot of coming and going over there, with the same 20-30 who have always been around.
                    >
                    > zoey
                    >

                    > --- In eckankartruth@yahoogroups.com, al_radzik <no_reply@> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > Harold's been at the helm for a number of years in Eckankar. How old is he now? Is the organization making any money? Are the number of members dwindling, growing, steady?
                    > > I was involved as a member for about a year back in 1985 and then lost interest because questions always hit a brick wall. As I come to find, questions are frowned upon and if you don't follow the party line, you're out of the "winning circle".
                    > > This religion demands too much of their followers and requires a completely unreasonable surrender and suspension of reality to absorb and assimilate it's absurd brand of spiritual life. Eckankar is self serving and adjusts itself periodically to promote membership.
                    > > Once in a while I check out the newsgroup a.r.e. or the official website. It all seems now what I always figured it to be; a cleverly disguised lie perpetuated by greed and deception. Klemp is still spouting his enormously banal banterings at seminars and the same diehard followers are yakking away like yellow matter custard dripping from a dead man's path.
                    > > I'm not surprised. Every village has an idiot.
                    > >
                    > > Wheezer

                  • avonblue1212
                    Message 9 of 12 , Feb 7, 2010
                      The 2nd initiation is built up to be soul's link up with the light and sound of god. You receive a unique secret word that is yours alone. As a former eck initiator I was dumbfounded to find that initiators pick from a pat list of eight choices - all similar - and a couple having the prefix kay (paul's half-sister Kay-dee). What a crock this all is!

                      AB

                      --- In eckankartruth@yahoogroups.com, David Osborn <panfluteman2000@...> wrote:

                      > Dear Marianne,
                      >      Oh yeah, I discovered Twitchellian plagiarism when I first started reading Julian Johnson's Path of the Masters and saw that Paul Twitchell had lifted many passages straight out of it and put it into Eckankar: Key to Secret Worlds.  That was a shock and a let down, but that isn't what got me to get out.
                      >      And about the initiation game, it was not the financial side of things and that they were milking chelas for all they were worth; after all, other cults like Scientology are far worse offenders in the financial or money arena.  It was that I felt that I hadn't really gotten what I was supposed to "get" from my third and fourth initiations, and asked headquarters if I could go back to my second initiation and do it all over.  After all, I read that Paul Twitchell himself had told someone who wanted to get initiations faster, "What's the rush?  Soul has been evolving for thousands of years."  But whan I said I wanted to go back to do some initiations over, it was like that just didn't compute with them; it went in one ear and out the other.  And even when I had been delinquent in paying my membership dues for a few years, they were still sending me notices saying that if I came back in to Eckankar membership before the five year deadline, I
                      > could still keep all my initiations!  That's when I came to the conclusion that it was nothing more than just an initiation game.  It's how you keep up with the Joneses or get one up on them in Eckankar.
                      >      But I wonder if anyone has ever sat down to list all the Eckankar spinoff organizations that were out there.
                      >                                                Blessings,
                      >                                                    panfluteman2000

                    • David Osborn
                      Message 10 of 12 , Feb 7, 2010
                        So - you mean to tell me - that there was actually nothing for me to "get"?
                                                                           - panfluteman2000

                        Message 11 of 12 , Feb 7, 2010
                          --- In eckankartruth@yahoogroups.com, David Osborn <panfluteman2000@...> wrote:

                          > So - you mean to tell me - that there was actually nothing for me to "get"?
                          >                                                    - panfluteman2000

                          You got it!!! <gg>

                          Here's a list of eckspawn, if I've missed any please let me know!

                          MSIA - John-Roger Hinkins - http://www.msia.com I believe this is the first, and inspired Twitch to warn members about this "Irrevocable Misdeed" in "Letters to a Chela".

                          Divine Science of Light & Sound - Jerry Mulvin

                          MasterPath - Gary Olsen - http://www.masterpath.org/

                          Spiritual Freedom Satsang - Michael Turner -
                          http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SFS/

                          The Way of Truth - Michael Owens - http://www.thewayoftruth.org/

                          ATOM - Darwin Gross - does anyone know what they're doing since Darwin died?

                          ATOM spin-off - Paul & Tammy Marche - http://www.dhunami.org/

                          Higher Consciousness - Ford Johnson - at least he didn't claim to be the "real" LEM. He changed "Hu" to "Hum", otherwise it's an eck-clone without a "master", which I think was a good business decision!

                          http://www.thedreamdudes.com - I don't know if these characters are former eckists but it sure looks like it!!

                          Can't think of any more right now. There's a wacky woman who had a few webpages up awhile back, declaring herself the new LEM - they're in the "files" here. I suspect she's been institutionalized. <gg> There's also more info about some of the above in the "files" here.

                          Gotta run!!

                        • harrisonferrel
                          Message 12 of 12 , Feb 11, 2010
                            Wheezer: I only wish I was as savvy as you. It took me 12 years of getting no answers and being confused by the inconsistencies before I finally quit the cult.