Re: There is both a Michael Owens and Gary Owens

  • zzoey75
    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 22, 2010
      I'll be very candid here. I've been reading Olsen's book (the master path guy). I find it quite interesting, and I probably agree with a good deal of it. He seems, in my limited opinion, to be informed. HOWEVER, when he starts the stuff about how he is the Master who gives the Inititiations, etc, he loses me. If he would just call himself a regular guy, a guy who has walked this road and learned a few things, a teacher; well, he might have something. Just my opinion.

      zoey...

      --- In eckankartruth@yahoogroups.com, jonathanjohns96 <no_reply@...> wrote:

      > zoey,
      >
      > You asked for opinions about Gary Owens and the Master Path. I don't mind if people make offshoots of Eckankar. I'm not personally offended by it. If he thinks he can start a religion without plagiarizing or putting curses on people, then I tend to endorse his efforts. Many members of Eckankar were unhappy with certain aspects of Eckankar. They left and tried to start something better. I think that the more choices people have, the better. They might find a religion that is good for them for awhile before they move on to something better. And "something better" may very well mean "no religion at all."
      >
      > It's kinda hard to give a detailed opinion about the Gary Owens page I linked to in my previous post. I'm concerned that he might be giving a rather "plain vanilla" presentation initially, then once you join the religion, the new members find out a bunch of things they have problems with.
      >
      > I'll guess we will just have to wait five to ten years until someone leaves and speaks out.
      >
      > Jonathan

    • JANICE FORMYDUVAL
      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 22, 2010
        Hi zzoey75,
        I think you have just the right attitude.  I did find some stuff last night on line about Sant Mat.  It is interesting reading and I think the basic concepts are really good.  Their founder was a very humble man and found it hard to accept his roll as a Master.  Also, I think they used the concept of Master in a different way.  Their devotees weren't treated as their slaves.  While reading I found the concept of the inner world of light and sound mentioned frequently.  At babafaqirchand.com you can read about the life of their founder and his struggles.  At sos.org is an org called the Science of Spirituality.  I thought that might appeal to you and they do have contact info.  Janice

      • etznab@aol.com

        • etznab@aol.com
          Message 4 of 10 , Jan 22, 2010
            OK. So that link is not working.

            Try this one. It worked the last time I checked.

            http://web.archive.org/web/20071118142923/http://santhakar.tripod.com/saints/bio-14.html

            It's from the Way Back Machine.

            Etznab