Master Path

  • zzoey75
    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 2, 2010
      Hello all. This is my first post to eckankartruth, though I've been lurking and reading for quite a while. I'm ex-eck, like most here.

      Here is my comment/question: I have heard many over the years state that they would be more interested in ickenkar if it was free of some of the eck junk - like eck masters, etc.

      I was over at the Master Path site today. This guy, Olsen, was basically doing eck talk, minus the eck additives. Does anyone have any experience with Mater Path or Olsen? Does anyone have an opinion?

      Thanks, zoey
    • jonathanjohns96
      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 11, 2010
        Zoey,

        Ford Johnson discussed Michael Owens splinter group quite extensively:

        http://www.thetruth-seeker.com/michael_owens.aspx

        Ford is the author of the book "Confessions OF A God Seeker."

        The only comment I have about people who leave Eckankar and start their own religion is that I wonder how they do the "Eck stuff." They must do it secretly because Eckankar will come after them with lawsuits if they do it out in the open.

        Jonathan

        --- In eckankartruth@yahoogroups.com, "zzoey75" <zzoey75@...> wrote:

        > Hello all. This is my first post to eckankartruth, though I've been lurking and reading for quite a while. I'm ex-eck, like most here.
        >
        > Here is my comment/question: I have heard many over the years state that they would be more interested in ickenkar if it was free of some of the eck junk - like eck masters, etc.
        >
        > I was over at the Master Path site today. This guy, Olsen, was basically doing eck talk, minus the eck additives. Does anyone have any experience with Mater Path or Olsen? Does anyone have an opinion?
        >
        > Thanks, zoey

      • JANICE FORMYDUVAL
        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 12, 2010
          Why trade one culkt for another?

          Message 4 of 10 , Jan 12, 2010
            --- In eckankartruth@yahoogroups.com, JANICE FORMYDUVAL <formyd@...> wrote:

            > Why trade one cult for another?

            Janice, you said it all!!

            BTW, Master Path is Gary Olsen; Michael Owens is the self-proclaimed master, just checked out the website which has been redone since last time I was there, you've gotta laugh, here's an excerpt:

            "In 2003, a prediction that had been made finally came true. In the Valley of Tirmer, a place in the Far East where new Living Sehaji Masters are introduced, Michael Owens received the Rod of Power of the Light and Sound and the mantle of Living Sehaji Master, along with the spiritual name of Dan Rin"

            Not very original! <gg>

            There are many ekult "offshots". The first one was probably (gawd, I've forgotten all the names!!) - okay, just looked it up in the "files" here - MSIA, which no doubt was the inspiration for Twitch's rant & warnings about the only unforgiveable "sin" being breaking off & starting your own group. That's in "Letters to a Chela".

            On MSIA, the complete book expose "Life 102: What to do when your guru sues you" is in the files here, along with the MSIA secret causal initiation handbook.

            There are a few more in the "files" section here, which I oughtta update, along with everything else. There's also Michael Turner with his "Spiritual Freedom Satsang". And another rather recent one, sort of "Hollywood", let me search a bit....found it! http://www.thedreamdudes.com/

            And there are plenty more similar groups that didn't come from ekult. Like, one with a Korean woman who uses the title "Supreme Master".

            Many former eckists have asked about the possibility of a lawsuit, hard to tell if that'll ever happen. Probably not, at least not in the foreseeable future. However, here's an interesting one that's worth watching:

            http://campbellbrown.blogs.cnn.com/2010/01/05/korean-yoga-centers-a-booming-business/#more-3042

            You know, I'd think if suing ekult was a real possibility, Ford Johnson would've done it. He is, after all, a Harvard educated lawyer. I think he realized he could make a lot more money with a lot less effort by starting his own "spiritual teaching". And isn't "Higher Con Society" the perfect name for it? <gg>

            European countries seem to be much better about cracking down on these pseudo-religion con games, especially $cientology. Perhaps one day America will follow their example. A few European countries have also cracked down on one of my personal pet peeves, those yellow "Planet Aid" donation boxes that claim to be helping starving Africans or whatever. They're not. They're another cultic con game. And worse, they're taking away from the Salvation Army which *does* do a lot of good work with the profits from selling donated clothes, etc. I've taken the time to inform some businesses with those yellow boxes about it, and I've been glad to see some have been removed after their hosts learn the truth about it.

            It's natural to feel a bit lost after leaving ekult, and to start looking around for something to replace it. Many people just go from one cult to another. It's sort of like quitting smoking or coffee. Just give it time, don't rush into anything. After I sort of sniffed around Catholicism & the Self-Realization group right after I got out, I ended up not really needing anything at all. But I must say, my experiences with both Catholicism & SRF were very nice & helpful.

            Okay, take care, everyone!

          • jonathanjohns96
            Message 5 of 10 , Jan 12, 2010
              all,

              As Sharon has just pointed out on another message, there is both a Michael Owens and a Gary Owens, each started a religion similar to Eckankar.

              MasterPath
              The Divine Science of Light and Sound
              Gary Owens
              http://www.masterpath.org/

              I just read this page. It is obviously very similar to Eckankar, but nothing here points exclusively to Eckankar. If he was an Eckist, and I assume he was, on this page he did a really job of cutting out all the stuff that could be directly associated with Eckankar.

              For example, teaching of the light and sound is directly from religions in India, it did not start with Eckankar.

              Jonathan

              --- In eckankartruth@yahoogroups.com, jonathanjohns96 <no_reply@...> wrote:

              > Zoey,
              >
              > Ford Johnson discussed Michael Owens splinter group quite extensively:
              >
              > http://www.thetruth-seeker.com/michael_owens.aspx
              >
              > Ford is the author of the book "Confessions OF A God Seeker."
              >
              > The only comment I have about people who leave Eckankar and start their own religion is that I wonder how they do the "Eck stuff." They must do it secretly because Eckankar will come after them with lawsuits if they do it out in the open.
              >
              > Jonathan
              >

              > --- In eckankartruth@yahoogroups.com, "zzoey75" <zzoey75@> wrote:
              > >
              > > Hello all. This is my first post to eckankartruth, though I've been lurking and reading for quite a while. I'm ex-eck, like most here.
              > >
              > > Here is my comment/question: I have heard many over the years state that they would be more interested in ickenkar if it was free of some of the eck junk - like eck masters, etc.
              > >
              > > I was over at the Master Path site today. This guy, Olsen, was basically doing eck talk, minus the eck additives. Does anyone have any experience with Mater Path or Olsen? Does anyone have an opinion?
              > >
              > > Thanks, zoey

            • jonathanjohns96
              Message 6 of 10 , Jan 12, 2010
                zoey,

                You asked for opinions about Gary Owens and the Master Path. I don't mind if people make offshoots of Eckankar. I'm not personally offended by it. If he thinks he can start a religion without plagiarizing or putting curses on people, then I tend to endorse his efforts. Many members of Eckankar were unhappy with certain aspects of Eckankar. They left and tried to start something better. I think that the more choices people have, the better. They might find a religion that is good for them for awhile before they move on to something better. And "something better" may very well mean "no religion at all."

                It's kinda hard to give a detailed opinion about the Gary Owens page I linked to in my previous post. I'm concerned that he might be giving a rather "plain vanilla" presentation initially, then once you join the religion, the new members find out a bunch of things they have problems with.

                I'll guess we will just have to wait five to ten years until someone leaves and speaks out.

                Jonathan
              • zzoey75
                Message 7 of 10 , Jan 22, 2010
                  I'll be very candid here. I've been reading Olsen's book (the master path guy). I find it quite interesting, and I probably agree with a good deal of it. He seems, in my limited opinion, to be informed. HOWEVER, when he starts the stuff about how he is the Master who gives the Inititiations, etc, he loses me. If he would just call himself a regular guy, a guy who has walked this road and learned a few things, a teacher; well, he might have something. Just my opinion.

                  zoey...

                  --- In eckankartruth@yahoogroups.com, jonathanjohns96 <no_reply@...> wrote:

                  > zoey,
                  >
                  > You asked for opinions about Gary Owens and the Master Path. I don't mind if people make offshoots of Eckankar. I'm not personally offended by it. If he thinks he can start a religion without plagiarizing or putting curses on people, then I tend to endorse his efforts. Many members of Eckankar were unhappy with certain aspects of Eckankar. They left and tried to start something better. I think that the more choices people have, the better. They might find a religion that is good for them for awhile before they move on to something better. And "something better" may very well mean "no religion at all."
                  >
                  > It's kinda hard to give a detailed opinion about the Gary Owens page I linked to in my previous post. I'm concerned that he might be giving a rather "plain vanilla" presentation initially, then once you join the religion, the new members find out a bunch of things they have problems with.
                  >
                  > I'll guess we will just have to wait five to ten years until someone leaves and speaks out.
                  >
                  > Jonathan

                • JANICE FORMYDUVAL
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jan 22, 2010
                    Hi zzoey75,
                    I think you have just the right attitude.  I did find some stuff last night on line about Sant Mat.  It is interesting reading and I think the basic concepts are really good.  Their founder was a very humble man and found it hard to accept his roll as a Master.  Also, I think they used the concept of Master in a different way.  Their devotees weren't treated as their slaves.  While reading I found the concept of the inner world of light and sound mentioned frequently.  At babafaqirchand.com you can read about the life of their founder and his struggles.  At sos.org is an org called the Science of Spirituality.  I thought that might appeal to you and they do have contact info.  Janice

                  • etznab@aol.com

                    • etznab@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 10 , Jan 22, 2010
                        OK. So that link is not working.

                        Try this one. It worked the last time I checked.

                        http://web.archive.org/web/20071118142923/http://santhakar.tripod.com/saints/bio-14.html

                        It's from the Way Back Machine.

                        Etznab