Twitchell's Racist World

  • harrisonferrel
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 1, 2009
      Over the years I've only heard a couple of suggestions that Twitchell was a racist. Now I'm wondering about this myself, because of a few things that I read a long time ago. One of the eck books, maybe the shariyat, talked about different peoples in twitchells' absurd fiction on the beginnings of life and humankind. Has anybody made any comparisons or found plagiarisms or similarities between his works and, let's say, Mein Kampf? He did have this treatise about yellow, red, black and white people and that all but the whites were past their prime. I think that at the time when you read such statements the obvious racist overtones escape you. But twitchell was a very limited, backwoods yokel, so what else could it be but racism?
    • prometheus_973
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 11, 2009
        Hello Harrison and All,
        Twitchell did make a racist comment
        to Jack Jarvis in an interview for an
        article that appeared in the July 9, 1963
        edition of the Seattle Post-Intelligencer.

        The article is titled, "Paul Twitchell,
        Man of Parts."

        BTW- According to Klemp, Twitchell
        was born on October 22, 1908, therefore,
        Twitchell was 55 years old at the time
        of the interview and article.

        "He shuns routine, thinks the Negro
        is 'whacky as a bug' for wanting to
        get into the white man's society..."

        Here's some more from the same
        article:

        "He never smokes. If he can't drink
        champagne, he won't drink at all.
        He's a vegetarian... skip-reads
        several thousand books a year...
        smilingly views the rest of the
        world with a sort of sardonic
        tolerance."

        FYI- Here's another excerpt from
        another article a few years later
        (circa 1967-69) by Wanda Sue
        Parrot a Herald Examiner staff
        writer. I think it's 1967-69 because,
        later, in the article Helen Baird
        is quoted as saying she has
        "been in the movement two
        years.'

        "Over lunch recently, at which
        time Twitchell dined on a diet
        of chopped sirloin (well done),
        jello and coffee, he explained,
        'ECKANKAR, or ECK, is an old
        name that comes out of prehistoric
        times."

        I guess that Twitchell changed
        his mind about being a life-long
        vegetarian!

        And, if the name ECKankar, or
        the nickname ECK came from
        "prehistoric times" then it must
        have come from Venus! There
        was no "human," here, on earth,
        that had a language that would
        have had the word Eckankar.
        Was there even an alphabet?

        Anyway, the Venus EK Masters
        of Gakko and Rami Nuriare fictional,
        too, and that's why EK Vahanas
        usually stay away from the "VENUS"
        topic.

        BTW- I wonder why HK didn't write
        about the GAKKO in his "wonderful"
        book?

        Prometheus

        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 12, 2009
          Funny how we've filled books worth of these inconsistencies and lies!

          This leads me to make a point as to one of the main reasons why I got out of the cult... My sense of logic said: If the leaders of eckankar have lied and presented inconsistent statements, then the entire "teaching" must be flawed...and why would I want to follow a flawed teaching with liars at the helm? I also considered that if Klemp was willing to lie and cover up for twitchell then he was nothing short of a con man and despicable character himself.

          Yet, apparently this doesn't bother your typical codependent eckist who will make absurd excuses for their leaders. They will also exonerate klemp for covering up for twitchell.

          Another thing that literally made me laugh were the two accounts of Twitchell during WWII. In one he was on a battleship in the Pacific and in another he never went to war.