Re: No beer at mealtime for higher initiatesin Germany?

  • ctecvie
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 14, 2009
      Jonathan,

      I'm from Austria where wine and beer are not considered alcohol either. But ekkies I knew in Austria and Germany do refrain from any alcohol, they don't drink at all. Perhaps one alcohol-free beer from time to time, but that's it. If you are convinced of something, it's not difficult to follow the rules! I wasn't a high initiate, only a lowly 3rd and of course did drink wine - once, at an arahata training, I was the only one drinking wine! I felt a bit strange in that environment ... and I guess it prevented me from having my 4th before I left! No harm done! LOL!

      Ingrid

      --- In eckankartruth@yahoogroups.com, jonathanjohns96 <no_reply@...> wrote:

      > All,
      >
      > I know this is perhaps a somewhat frivolous question, but for those of
      > you who aren't aware of it, when you recieve the 5th initiation you
      > have to agree to abstain from recreational drugs, alcohol, and tobacco.
      > I believe that up to the fourth, it only mentions abstaining from
      > recreational drugs.
      >
      > So what about Germany? Over there, drinking beer with meals is a part
      > of their culture. In that setting, alchohol is considered to be a food.
      > I think that Eckankar is going to have a hard time convincing the
      > average German to part with his or her beer at mealtime. Likewise for
      > wine at mealtime for French and Italians.
      >
      > Any comments from anyone? And are there any other countries in Europe
      > where alchohol is consumed as a food at mealtimes? This is actually one
      > of my pet peeves when comparing European and American culture. I think
      > Americans are totally goofy on this point.
      >
      > Jonathan

    • jonathanjohns96
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 14, 2009
        Ingrid,

        Thanks for your reply. I am very interested in the subject of which cultures treat alcohol as a food. I had no idea that Australians were like that as well. Australians tend to be very independant-minded, but that doesn't necessarily translate into what I call a more enlightened view toward alcohol. Interesting.

        I'm not surprised at all that alcohol is treated as food in Austria.

        So currently my complete list of confirmed countries that treat alcohol as food is:

        Australia
        Austria
        France
        Germany